The Student Room Group

Glandular Fever

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've had glandular fever for about 3 weeks
It is the WORST illness I've ever had. I thought I just had flu and needed to rest but after staying in bed for 3 days straight my mum took me to the hospital. After my blood test came back positive for GF I was like okaaaaay I had never heard of it but Google sorted me out there.
I've had migraines, joint pain, fatigue. So weak I couldn't get out of bed really high temperatures. The glands in my throat literally swelled so much they were resting on my tounge that made it hard to breathe and they were oozing pus which I found really disturbing. I also got swelling of the liver and spleen and had to have a ultra sound. The hospital finally gave me antibiotics for my throat and I think I'm starting to recover, I can walk around now even if it is very slowly. I'm still going to take some extra days off though.
What I'm struggling with now are the dreams. Weird vivid dreams that make me wake up confused I can only sleep in stretches of about 3 hours which of course doesn't help the fatigue. I'm starting to resent nighttime... Please tell me this gets better...?
How bad can the hallucinations be? Can this fever make you do things that are out of character ?

Quick Reply

Latest