The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Is it that dangerous in Nottingham?

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I are staying together through University despite the distance between Southampton where I am and Nottingham where she is.

Obviously we've kept in touch via skype, texts, msn etc. and the way she's describing her area is making me worried about her safety. She's mentioned a KFC with bulletproof glass and her flatmates getting shot at with BB guns while just walking to the shops!

She's mentioned that her flatmates are a great bunch and they all get on really well. So I guess I'm safe in assuming she'll never be left to walk the streets alone. Am I being too paranoid about the crime rates in Nottingham to worry about my girlfriend's safety? Is it that bad there?

Thanks for any replies!

Scroll to see replies

Hey, it really depends what area she's in. I lived there last year for my first year of uni and loved it, didn't experience any violence or "crime" of any sort. :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
She's about as safe as she is in any city centre. Nottingham, like every other major city, has its good and its bad parts. I've been here over a year and not experienced a single bit of crime. KFC might well have bulletproof glass, but the KFCs I've seen in the city centre and near areas don't.

Crime in Nottingham is over-hyped, and unless she can pass on the postcodes of the bullet-proof KFCs are BB gun areas, then I'm gonna say she's telling porkies and exaggerating.
Reply 3
DarkWhite
She's about as safe as she is in any city centre. Nottingham, like every other major city, has its good and its bad parts. I've been here over a year and not experienced a single bit of crime. KFC might well have bulletproof glass, but the KFCs I've seen in the city centre and near areas don't.

Crime in Nottingham is over-hyped, and unless she can pass on the postcodes of the bullet-proof KFCs are BB gun areas, then I'm gonna say she's telling porkies and exaggerating.

Thanks for the reply. I get what you're saying. I'm sure she wouldn't lie but I do think she might just be exaggerating her situation a bit. I think it's just the novelty of living in a new "crimey" place. Since we used to live in Dorset where we get crime headlines like "School hampster stolen, £5 reward on return".
Reply 4
Definately depends on the area. I personally hate nottingham but lots of people love it. So long as care as taken it shouldn't be any more dangerous than any other city.
Reply 5
kingstriker
Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I are staying together through University despite the distance between Southampton where I am and Nottingham where she is.

Obviously we've kept in touch via skype, texts, msn etc. and the way she's describing her area is making me worried about her safety. She's mentioned a KFC with bulletproof glass and her flatmates getting shot at with BB guns while just walking to the shops!

She's mentioned that her flatmates are a great bunch and they all get on really well. So I guess I'm safe in assuming she'll never be left to walk the streets alone. Am I being too paranoid about the crime rates in Nottingham to worry about my girlfriend's safety? Is it that bad there?

Thanks for any replies!

I've lived in Nottingham for 18 years and it's fine as long as you're not stupid enough to go looking for trouble or walk around in a dodgy area at 2 in the morning! It's like most other cities, there are few bad parts but the press like to exaggerate and make it sound like the ghetto. Stop being paranoid, I'm sure your girlfriend will be fine. Also, I've never heard of people getting shot with BB guns walking to the shops... water pistols perhaps...
Reply 6
9 out of 10 people who go to nottingham don't leave alive....

:ninja:
Reply 7
seen two people stabbed (same night near market bar)

been to club and seen people with guns

been to random house party, seen guns

but this is probably the same as any city really, just i happened to have witnessed it.
Reply 8
I've lived in Nottingham for 4 years now, and the level of crime is over exaggerated. I've been mugged once, and that's the most trouble to have come my way. Obviously you'll meet trouble if you're wandering around in St. Anns or the Meadows at 2am, but most of the time it's like every other city.
Reply 9
oh yeah that reminds me, one of my mate got beaten up and mugged, and other course mates etc. have had their houses broken into
Reply 10
I used to live there, and I've known a few people be mugged and a friend of a friend got stabbed. In the centre it'll be fine.
Reply 11
Yeah, don't even think about stepping out without a bulletproof vest.

No, seriously, it's fine. And as for people saying stuff about St Ann's, Radford and the Meadows etc, I don't live in either of those areas but I know/have known people who do, and you CAN actually walk around there without getting stabbed or shot, shocker. I'm pretty sure it's dangerous to walk around most places at 2am.
Reply 12
rosee92
I've lived in Nottingham for 18 years and it's fine as long as you're not stupid enough to go looking for trouble or walk around in a dodgy area at 2 in the morning! It's like most other cities, there are few bad parts but the press like to exaggerate and make it sound like the ghetto. Stop being paranoid, I'm sure your girlfriend will be fine. Also, I've never heard of people getting shot with BB guns walking to the shops... water pistols perhaps...

Thanks for the reply. It's only with absolutely no knowledge on anywhere further north than warwick I can't tell whether she was painting a worse picture than it really is. Thanks again :smile:
Don't be silly. Crimes have decreased by 11% since last year. That's like close to 6,500 less crimes on people.
They don't call it Shottingham for nothing
Every Nottingham yout is moist. Say nothing.

Joking, although I'll put my life on the line and say South London is worse.
Reply 16
I've lived here for nearly 19 years and I've never had the tiniest bit of trouble. For any normal person, it's perfectly safe. There is just a bit of an underworld I suppose; having never lived anywhere else, I don't know how it compares. Anyway, I live in one of the worse areas, but I still wouldn't be scared myself nor worried about anyone else living here.
Yes, it's really bad in Nottingham.

I've only lived here most of my life and I've:

- died four times
- been raped seven times (twice whilst I was dead, therefore twice necrophiliac raped)
- been shot twelve times (once in the penis)
- been stabbed three times (once in either buttock; my arse hasn't felt the same since)
- been racially abused on no fewer than two hundred and seventeen occasions (half of those for being black, one quarter of those for being white (I look different in different kinds of light) and then for various other indiscriminate types of colour)

I would advise you to steer well clear, matey.
Like every place it has it's good and bad parts. I've spent a lot of time there, and always felt very safe and happy in the city centre.
Reply 19
kingstriker
Hey everyone,

Thanks for any replies!

Its really not that bad. Of course there are some areas to avoid- Sneinton, St Anns. But there are some nice areas, Bridlesmith Gate is a nice little shopping alley. But yeah you do get quite a few trampy people around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending