The Student Room Group

blind or deaf?

Poll

would you rather be blind or deaf?

would you rather be blind or deaf?

was just looking up cinema times and saw the option for subtitles or audio description. i then thought, if i was on a date and went to the cinema, would it be easier to be blind or deaf? i instantly thought blind, because it would be so much easier to communicate. but then i realised you wouldn't be able to SEE which restricts so much... such as the internet. so i changed my choice to deaf.

also, if there are any people on here who suffer from either (well i guess you wouldn't be on here if you were blind...) would you change it to the other option if you had the choice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just imagine not being able to see anyone or anything ever again. That is so much worse than not being able to hear! You can learn how to lipread! You wouldn't be able to see your partner/family, see your children, see the world. :frown: That would be horrible.

Plus I'd never have to listen kids playing rave at the back of the bus.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
kim1234567
Just imagine not being able to see anyone or anything ever again. That is so much worse than not being able to hear! You can learn how to lipread! You wouldn't be able to see your partner/family, see your children, see the world. :frown: That would be horrible.

hahaa so true and u don't have to hear people being snappy/ annoying, just see their face and laugh.
Blind, definitely. I used to not be quite sure since the idea of not being able to see anything is quite terrifying, but I really wouldn't be able to bear not being able to hear anything :nah:
Reply 4
issih

was just looking up cinema times and saw the option for subtitles or audio description. i then thought, if i was on a date and went to the cinema, would it be easier to be blind or deaf? i instantly thought blind, because it would be so much easier to communicate. but then i realised you wouldn't be able to SEE which restricts so much... such as the internet. so i changed my choice to deaf.

Well there is text to speech software to help overcome such difficulties.

As far as communicaing goes, much of communication is actually non-verbal (which someone who is blind or certain people on the autistic spectrum aren't able to read). Peoples body language and facial expressions can be just as important as what is actually said.
Reply 5
issih
if i was on a date and went to the cinema, would it be easier to be blind or deaf? i instantly thought blind, because it would be so much easier to communicate. but then i realised you wouldn't be able to SEE

:facepalm2:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
thejonsmith

facepalming makes no difference to me as that's the most common thing my friends express to me...
Reply 7
Thank god we have our sight and hearing! We don't realise just how much we take for granted. I would prefer to be able to see than being able to hear...I'd be able to do more things independanty if I still had my sight and would prefer drs poking around my ears than my eyes!
Reply 8
Deaf, I think. You could still do pretty much everything for yourself; cooking, driving and reading would all still be possible. It would be horrible to never hear music again though.
kim1234567

Well, everyone's gonna die eventually so, too bad.
yo op... if everyone was deaf then i wouldnt be famous....so i guess blind is better!! even though i dont want to be either...what would the world be like without my music huh? (Y)
Deaf.

Sight is far too important to me.
Deaf.

When it comes to women I have the standards of a blind prostute anyway. :nopity: Plus I want to watch football and breasts. :drool:
neither
Surprised so many people have said deaf. For the cinema or reading I'd rather be blind because human imagination is amazing. I couldn't live without being able to hear music though.
Reply 15
thejonsmith

You and your facepalms.:rolleyes:
Reply 16
alissasantiago
You and your facepalms.:rolleyes:

You and your stupid comments, tbh.
Reply 17
hannah_dru
Surprised so many people have said deaf. For the cinema or reading I'd rather be blind because human imagination is amazing.

Why though?

Reading involves human imagination whether you're neither blind or deaf, whether you're reading braille or whether you're deaf.
Reply 18
thejonsmith
You and your stupid comments, tbh.

****! Calm down, tbh.
Reply 19
HearTheThunder
Well, everyone's gonna die eventually so, too bad.

Yes. Well done.

It would be horrible to never know what your kid looks like, is what i meant, smartass.

Latest

Trending

Trending