The Student Room Group
London South Bank University
London

London Southbank University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by cybergrad
I think you will be ok if you go for a vocational course over there, anything else would be waste of time and money. I have some friends that went to LSBU, the ones with the vocational degrees (ie physiotherapy) went on to graduate jobs straight away, they ones with BA degrees are not doing so well.

Apparently, they are good for nursing. I had an interview there today for social work. They're about half way up (or down, depending on how you see it :wink:) the league tables for SW. I hated the place though, the atmosphere was rubbish and I wasn't overly inspired with the lecturers. Fortunately, I have other offers.
London
Elephant & Castle = yuck

No offence to anyone who lives there or who goes to LSU's campus but that area is seriously fugly
I did my first degree at LSBU - Human Biology (1st)- and sadly you're right it's a terrible university.

The campus is a pain, it really doesn't look like a university at all, a lot of the teachers don't know how to teach and mostly just make things feel a lot more complex and boring than they are.

You also have the problem that the degree isn't accredited so you can't actually DO anything with it. So if you were intending on doing lab work, think again.

The nursing students unfortunately while highly praised - don't really seem to know what they're doing as a friend (who is a nurse) tells me.
But yes, if anyone has the choice of deferring entry, do it.

Just don't apply to LSBU unless you really have no other choice. In that deferred year, I would suggest considering re-taking a'levels or something of the sort just to say to other unis that you DID spend the gap-year properly.
Reply 23
Original post by crashdoll
Apparently, they are good for nursing. I had an interview there today for social work. They're about half way up (or down, depending on how you see it :wink:) the league tables for SW. I hated the place though, the atmosphere was rubbish and I wasn't overly inspired with the lecturers. Fortunately, I have other offers.

i had an interview for London south bank in January, for social work. i was offered a place and have accepted it. it had a great feel to the place, the teachers and the environment were pretty cool and for the roughness of the area, well to be frank... its in london! surly that says it all

minime22:smile:
Reply 24
Original post by minime22
i had an interview for London south bank in January, for social work. i was offered a place and have accepted it. it had a great feel to the place, the teachers and the environment were pretty cool and for the roughness of the area, well to be frank... its in london! surly that says it all

I'm glad you're happy there. :smile: It just wasn't for me. It wasn't so much the building, I just didn't like the atmosphere. I asked the admissions tutor about placements and he admitted people have started very late on their placements because they couldn't find any. He even said some people have been delayed a whole year with their degrees because of this! I know this is a problem across the country but at other unis, they haven't had this problem so much. I have to say, I appreciated his honesty though.
Reply 25
Original post by minime22

hey, just wondering what your offer in ucas points was. I've applied for South Bank but i haven't heard anything at all. Although it's my last option i'm interested to see what kind of offers they're handing out :smile: xx
Reply 26
Original post by tigermoth99
Elephant & Castle = yuck

No offence to anyone who lives there or who goes to LSU's campus but that area is seriously fugly

Thankyou! Lool

--

I went to visit and the place looks amazing

I live in Waterloo near the main buildings and this is not how I see it lol, yes the 2 new buildings are nice but generally the area is meh.

Alright uni though..dependant on what you wanna do/progress to. :h:
Reply 27
I'm currently at lsbu and think you are all being a bit harsh. I'm doing diagnostic radiography, the teaching and facilities provided are extremely good and although the area it is in is rubbish that doesn't affect the standard of education.
Other universities may have been higher up league tables but as far as I'm concerned its more important that you feel comfortable and happy in the environment rather than choosing a university just because it is high up a table.
Original post by MuftiMan123
The campus is a pain, it really doesn't look like a university at all

May I ask what you mean by that? LSBU has a nicely coherent campus at E&C, buildings aren't scattered all over the place and you don't have to cross a river to get to the other side of campus (King's, are you listening?).

Keyworth and K2 are brilliant buildings and London Road and Borough Road buildings have been decently refurbished.

LSBU's teaching may be compromised at undergraduate level, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the campus.
I wouldn't say the teaching is "compromised" it's terrible! Most of the learning I had to do on my own without any direction of what we were going to be learning.

Had to use past papers to structure my learning around and the unit guides were quite poorly structured. While the K2 + the Keyworth buildings look great, I haven't ever had a lecture in them, I've always been in the Borough Road building or in the Faraday wing - which I've never liked because they both feel more like a college than a university.

And while the campus is all in one area, it's also not the best of areas. Even though it's only a mile away from KCL, it feels like a much more dangerous area than the London Bridge area.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
i m confused. what shall i tell?
Original post by MuftiMan123
Most of the learning I had to do on my own without any direction of what we were going to be learning.

And why didn't you do anything about it? Complain to your course representative/course director/department head/faculty dean/vice-chancellor? Talk to the press? If you've chosen a uni and get the feeling that you don't get what you were hoping/promised to get, shouldn't you try to rescue it and make the best of the situation? You're paying a lot of money, you should ask for value in return.

But I guess that is what you get in a country where you let 18 year olds into university. In my country we don't get into university until we're 21, i.e. grown adults who stand up for themselves. On the other hand, uni is free in my country, so you can't demand much.
Reply 32
This year I have applied to London Southbank for the Social work and Mental health nursing course combined, after attending an interview I got a real good feeling for the university,the students, the teachers and the surroundings. I really loved it! I was then offered a conditional place and I was made up (after all, it was my first ever interview). Then, after a few months, the course lost its funding and I was gutted. They then offered me a conditional on the mental health nursing course, which I accepted. I think personally, London Southbank is a nice university, specially after having interviews at Greenwich, East London and also Preston uni, London southbank stood out to me! However, at the moment im trying to sort out my accommodation with them and at first they thought i was a 32 year old women on a teaching course! Then after another phone call i was then emailed saying i live too close to the university to be considered for accomodation at this time.. i live in chester which is 5hours away?!?! Still looking forward to september!
I'm going there for mental health nursing. I had offers at academically better universities, but the placements swung it for me. In terms of mental health, aside from King's, you won't get more interesting placements than with LSBU at the Maudsley trust. I was impressed with the lecturers at interview and I was doubly impressed with the fact that they had service users on the panel.

I wasn't impressed by the other students, though. 16 out of 20 failed the maths and literacy. One in our interview equated mentally ill people with child molesters. Another asked me why I was even there if I had offers at other universities. So, good lecturers aside, I'm somewhat dreading September in case I'm stuck with chancers who don't give a **** and couldn't get in anywhere else.
Original post by mehhh.....hi.
'Psychology is rather like dective work.'
Taken from their website. Presuming they meant detective... so... from that I'm going to say it's not great.

:rofl: And even then.

OP: Some advice, don't.
Oh grow up, you ridiculous snob.
Reply 36
Original post by sjfCLEARING
Can anyone help? I'm thinking about studying undergraduate Business at London SouthBank University next year. Moving to London is a big move for me so I want to make sure I get it right and study at the right University.

Has anyone been to LSBU or heard any positive/negaive stories about LSBU.

Advice and opinions welcomed!

Hey =) I'll be starting at LSBU this year as well doing Business Studies too. I'm quite looking forward to it actually. Most people are saying the lectures are really good =)
Reply 37
Original post by sjfCLEARING
Can anyone help? I'm thinking about studying undergraduate Business at London SouthBank University next year. Moving to London is a big move for me so I want to make sure I get it right and study at the right University.

Has anyone been to LSBU or heard any positive/negaive stories about LSBU.

Advice and opinions welcomed!

Positives are:
-Good employment rate
- 13th best salaries after graduation
-Very good sports teams

Negatives:
-Poor reputation

Not sure about anything else.
Reply 38
Well i am planning on doing a part time civil engineering degree at the LSBU starting this year. I spoke to one of the lecturers about getting on the course and he said that because i hadnt done any fluid mechanics on my Civil Engineering HNC then i would have to do an extra half a day to on this subject otherwise I wouldnt be able to get on the course. So from what i can tell they dont just take anyone on! I did my HNC at Southampton Solent Uni which doesnt have the best reputation, but the lecturers were good and I learnt a hell of alot. So Im looking forward to studying at the LSBU!

and the course is fully accredited with the Institure of Civil Engineers and the Institute of Structural Engineers! Which is all that matters to me! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
how is LSBU for MS accounting and finance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending