The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 1
It depends whether you want computers or not but Western Bank is a good bet.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
The IC isn't always packed, especially if you don't want a computer. Have you tried Western Bank library? Some departments also have their own study areas, so you should look into that too.
Reply 3
I don't need to use a computer just want to sit an read.
Reply 4
What is western bank like? What floor are desks at?
Go to my room, so close to Mappin str. It will cost you cheaper anywhere else.:biggrin:
Reply 6
It's sometimes possible to find a quiet seat in the IC but i think it's a bit of a novelty at the moment so it'll be really busy for another couple of weeks. I like the seats that overlook the roundabout.

Western bank is good for getting serious work done. The desks are in the main room and there's some upstairs too. It's a bit shabby looking but it's good for having less distractions.

The gallery in the union is (or at least used to be, ive not used it since the renovation was finished) good for sitting & reading and pretty much dead before about 11 and pretty quiet until lunch time.

Failing those try a bar or cafe, department study rooms or st georges library next to the mappin building.
Reply 7
i used to just go to weatherspoons and have a couple of pints and some grub with people :P

Most departments have places for their own students. Have you tried: Portabello Building, St. George's Library, Bartolomé House, Dainton Building, Elmfield, Firth Court, Geography and Planning, Hicks Building, Management School, Perak, St. George's IT Centre, Sir Frederick Mappin Building(computer room is closed atm) Sir Robert Hadfield Building.

It's usually quite easy to find somewhere on the upper floors of the I.C.

Also have you heard of the bus? 50p each way takes 5mins
Reply 8
Have you tried the upper floors of the IC? I've been in everyday this week and managed to get a desk on level 4. If you don't mind creepy old libraries, try Western Bank. It's usually really empty, except in exam season.
Reply 9
subterfuge
I like the seats that overlook the roundabout.

Good call. The first floor ones are the best seats in the IC.

Latest

Trending

Trending