The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
jjarvis
Not for graduate jobs--the vast majority of graduate jobs now ask for a 2:i. A 2:ii in law is very difficult to overcome if you're trying to get a job in law.

Yeh I know the majority ask for 2.1, However, I still think a 2.2 in a challenging subject from a good uni is a respectable result
Prosc
Hello all.

I've just recently started my BsC hons computing course at the University of the West of England. One of our introductory pseudo-lectures today touched on overall grades we should go for by the end of our undergrad courses.

Now as I have understood it, First is brilliant, a 2/1 is very good, and a 2/2 is a decent degree that employers will appreciate. (3rd obviously being a waste of 3 years of your life.)

However, today during the lecture we were all told that a 2/2 is awful, and that most employers would not even consider you if they saw the dreaded 2/2. Apparently in some cases you're better off dropping out if you think you're going to get a 2/2 in order to "save yourself from the embarrassment".

Now I was always going to go for a 2/1 (well technically i'm going to go for a first, but I think a 2/1 is achievable. But now I'm basically terrified! should I really drop out if I think I will get a 2/2? I don't want some over-ambitious job with a huge pay check, just a stable IT job which I can steadily progress in, but now I doubt I'll even get that. Is it true that a 2/2 is a death sentence?

At the end of the day a 2.2 is still better than no degree obviously because you have gone through a computing degree, giving you alot of knowledge and experience with computing. My brother got a 2.2 in computer science and got a good job working with computers 2 months after he graduated, so getting a job with a 2.2 isn't impossible. Of courrse a 2.1 is alot better though so of course aim for that but employers for computing jobs are obviously looking for people experienced in computers and after a degree even with a 2.2 you have experience still.
(edited 13 years ago)
Bobifier
My dad has a 2.2 and gets jobs with relative ease. Admittedly it is from Oxford, but even so I suspect they care more about his work experience after a couple of years than about his degree.

2.2 in your Dads day >> 2.2 now

Times have changed from our parents days, a 2.2 achived now is worth alot less. Everyone in my Mums class at University achived a 2.2, and only one person in the entire history of the course had ever got a First!
Reply 23
Yes.
Antipannenkoek
My brother got a 2.2 in computer science and got a good job working with computers 2 months after he graduated, so getting a job with a 2.2 isn't impossible. Obviously a 2.1 is alot better though so of course aim for that but employers for computing jobs are obviously looking for people experienced in computers and after a degree even with a 2.2 you have experience still.

Yea Computers is one of those degrees that a 2.2 can still get you a decent job, I also know of many cases where people with 2.2's in CS got good jobs shortly after graduation.
Probably depends on the Uni it is from...

it isn't awful, but obviously it isn't as good as getting a 2.1
Reply 26
Prosc
should I really drop out if I think I will get a 2/2?

No.
Prosc
Is it true that a 2/2 is a death sentence?

No.

But life is a hell of a lot easier if you get a 2.1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10506798) so it's worth really pushing to get into that bracket. You'll be ruling out an awful lot of graduate jobs if you don't.
To put it simply, I would say that it IS a good academic achievement, however it isn't good ENOUGH to keep up with the competition.

You have to be within the highest in the population to be able to compete.
A 2.2 is not exactly awesome, but where did you get the idea that wasting 2-3 years and quitting is better than a 2.2? + Do you see a chance to get a job which may require a 2.1 without having any degree (and most likely not a lot of work experience yet)? Can't think of one.

Tip: Aim higher, but don't drop out after 2 years of study (or even more) because you might get a 2.2. That's silly.
Prosc
Hello all.

I've just recently started my BsC hons computing course at the University of the West of England. One of our introductory pseudo-lectures today touched on overall grades we should go for by the end of our undergrad courses.

Now as I have understood it, First is brilliant, a 2/1 is very good, and a 2/2 is a decent degree that employers will appreciate. (3rd obviously being a waste of 3 years of your life.)

However, today during the lecture we were all told that a 2/2 is awful, and that most employers would not even consider you if they saw the dreaded 2/2. Apparently in some cases you're better off dropping out if you think you're going to get a 2/2 in order to "save yourself from the embarrassment".

Now I was always going to go for a 2/1 (well technically i'm going to go for a first, but I think a 2/1 is achievable. But now I'm basically terrified! should I really drop out if I think I will get a 2/2? I don't want some over-ambitious job with a huge pay check, just a stable IT job which I can steadily progress in, but now I doubt I'll even get that. Is it true that a 2/2 is a death sentence?

I know people with 2.2s who have managed to achieve a lot after university.

You should know by the end of second year where you stand but by then you would have completed more than half of your degree so dropping out would be stupid really.

If you are unfortunate and get a 2.2, you can always do a Masters. Also, if by the end of second year it looks like you are headed that direction, it's best to get some work experience behind you before graduating.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
I dropped out after 1st year. Mainly because i hated it, but the decision was greatly helped by the fact that i was confident that i would end up with a 2.2.

If you like the course and work hard at it then there is no reason why you shouldn't get a 2.1. So don't worry about it, just put the effort in.
Reply 31
mellie220
This :yep:

My cousin got a 2:2 in American Studies before the recession and has a job which she could have got with just mediocre GCSEs. I should imagine those with a 2:2 in Maths could go further than that, they'd probably be rather respected when applying for a generic management position.

Do you have any examples of these positions?

I'm curious because I never thought it would be possible to go into management fresh out of university. I imagined that it would require at least a few years working at the company in order for them to promote you to being a manager.
Sequoia Throne
It's still a degree, and it's not as bad as a 3rd, so there's no problem? The way you put it, saying a first is brilliant, 2/1 very good and 2/2 decent makes me think of it like this: First - Brilliant, like getting an A or A*. 2/1 very good, like a B. 2/2 decent, like a C, average but it's not the worst you can get.

And I'm sure having a 2/2 on your CV will still be better than having A Levels. It's still a degree.

"I got a DEE at A level. it's not as bad as EEE, so there's no problem!"
TimmonaPortella
"I got a DEE at A level. it's not as bad as EEE, so there's no problem!"

I guess you make a fair point there. :p:

I just looked on the TSR wiki and to get a 2:1 you need about 60%? So I guess it isn't too great getting a 2:2.
(edited 13 years ago)
I always thought of a 1st being OUSTANDING, 2:1 being Very Good, 2:2 being Average, 3 being below average / waste of time.
If you're getting a 2:2 you are wasting your time.

Latest

Trending

Trending