The Student Room Group
No, sinθ2sinθ2\sin \frac{\theta}{2} \neq \frac{\sin \theta}{2}.

Do you know any formulae that relate trig functions where one of the angles involved is double the other?
Reply 2
Nope, since sin(θ2)sinθ2\sin \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right) \ne \dfrac{\sin \theta}{2} (in general).

If it helps, make the substitution A=θ2A = \dfrac{\theta}{2}. Then you have cos2A=513\cos 2A = \dfrac{5}{13} and you need to find sinA\sin A. To work it out, use the double-angle formulae for cosine.
Reply 3
You could draw a right angled triangle, and put the values in that allow cos(theta) = 5/13, as it happens, its a nice pythagorean triple as well, so easy to find sin(theta) and hence sin(theta/2).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Scott3142
easy to find sin(theta) and hence sin(theta/2).

It's not particularly easy to find sinθ2\sin \frac{\theta}{2} given sinθ\sin \theta; conversely it's very easy to find sinθ2\sin \frac{\theta}{2} given cosθ\cos \theta, so that might not be the best approach.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I agree, however given that theta is an acute angle, that is to say only one value, is it not valid to just say that sin(theta)=12/13, then theta = arcsin(12/13), theta/2=[arcsin(12/13)]/2, sin(theta/2) = sin(arcsin(12/13)/2). Not particularly pretty, but a valid answer nonetheless, and no need to mess about with double angle formulae.
Reply 6
Scott3142
I agree, however given that theta is an acute angle, that is to say only one value, is it not valid to just say that sin(theta)=12/13, then theta = arcsin(12/13), theta/2=[arcsin(12/13)]/2, sin(theta/2) = sin(arcsin(12/13)/2). Not particularly pretty, but a valid answer nonetheless, and no need to mess about with double angle formulae.

It would give you an answer, but often when you're given an exact value for cosθ\cos \theta like in this case an exact value for sinθ2\sin \frac{\theta}{2} is expected. This is easily obtained just by using cosθ=12sin2θ2\cos \theta = 1 - 2\sin^2 \frac{\theta}{2}.
Scott3142

The question wants an exact answer. How are you intending to evaluate sin(arcsin(12/13)/2) ?
(edited 13 years ago)
i don't understand how on earth to do it.. because there's no identity?
Reply 9
sophiestanmoor110
i don't understand how on earth to do it.. because there's no identity?

Read the posts more carefully... there's more than enough information.

To make it more obvious, the identity you need to use is cos2A=12sin2A\cos 2A = 1-2\sin^2 A

So if A=θ2A = \frac{\theta}{2}, and cosθ=513\cos \theta = \frac{5}{13}, then... [you do this bit]
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest