The Student Room Group

Frced to buy a laptop for school

My critical thinking teacher has told us that we MUST bring a laptop to lessons from now on. I told him that I do not have one, and he just got really angry with me and started shouting about how 'university lecturers are not going to give a damn about whether we have one or not'. He then proceeded to repeatedly pick on me the whole lesson because I didn't have a laptop.

I feel its quite unfair that he's forcing us to get a laptop, especially when the school just put a bunch of new computers up in the sixth form centre. What is the point of those?

Really, I just need to vent. I've been having a really bad day. I would complain about him, but he happens to be our vice principal and I guess above the head of sixth. To be honest, I'm on the verge of dropping CT as I was forced to do it this year (despite continuing my 4 A levels to A2).

The b3llend.
Reply 1
THEALB10N
My critical thinking teacher has told us that we MUST bring a laptop to lessons from now on. I told him that I do not have one, and he just got really angry with me and started shouting about how 'university lecturers are not going to give a damn about whether we have one or not'. He then proceeded to repeatedly pick on me the whole lesson because I didn't have a laptop.

I feel its quite unfair that he's forcing us to get a laptop, especially when the school just put a bunch of new computers up in the sixth form centre. What is the point of those?

Really, I just need to vent. I've been having a really bad day. I would complain about him, but he happens to be our vice principal and I guess above the head of sixth. To be honest, I'm on the verge of dropping CT as I was forced to do it this year (despite continuing my 4 A levels to A2).

The b3llend.

Complain.

It doesn't matter if he's the vice-principal- that's clearly well out of order. He can't force you to spend upwards of £200 on a course.

As for the University comparison? Short of perhaps Computer Science, there is never likely to be a situation where you'll have to take a laptop into a lecture. The man's full of it.
(edited 13 years ago)
LOL I've never gone to a lecture in which I've had to have a laptop, infact I've not even seen someone typing away in a lecture before. At most I've seen people following on on mini notebook laptops. Unis have loads of computers and some even have a laptop borrowing system that you can use while in uni.
Reply 3
The man is an idiot, he needs to do some Critical Thinking himself.

Unless you are studying Computing, where a computer is needed for programming, there is no real need for a computer for most courses.
Everybody just thinks they need one.

Complain to the head of department.
Alright, thanks people. I'll see how my next lesson with him goes. Def. not going to get a laptop because of him. I'm going to drop the subject once I send off my uni application anyway as I've made no reference to it anywhere on my application.

Latest