The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Depends on the university. The common feature is examination results, either A level grades (and Scottish/IB equivalent), UCAS points or a combination of the two. Personal statements and academic references also play a big role.

Some universities will interview, set an entrance exam or require work sent to them (either a new work to their specification or previous work in the subject). Some may also look at GCSE or other exam results as well, particularly on competitive courses. A few courses also usually require work experience, medicine being the primary example.
gower
Depends on the university. The common feature is examination results, either A level grades (and Scottish/IB equivalent), UCAS points or a combination of the two. Personal statements and academic references also play a big role.

Some universities will interview, set an entrance exam or require work sent to them (either a new work to their specification or previous work in the subject). Some may also look at GCSE or other exam results as well, particularly on competitive courses. A few courses also usually require work experience, medicine being the primary example.

And there are still one or two that merely check for a pulse!
twister, its the only real way to decide anything
(edited 13 years ago)
I like your answers.. But seriously, I also "heard" that some unis discriminate against grammar schools. The thing though is that I don't have a really really good grade but I really want to get into LSE but fudge I received grades below the minimum requirement.
Reply 5
the_neg_master_
I also "heard" that some unis discriminate against grammar schools.

I don't think they discriminate on the basis of that at all actually. I think that Grammar schools may just end up with the shorter end of the stick but that's more to do with the fact that Unis are salivating for International Students that pay three times more tuition than UK residents. You probably just think you get discriminated against but that's not true at all. If your grades are good you will get in regardless.

the_neg_master_
The thing though is that I don't have a really really good grade but I really want to get into LSE but fudge I received grades below the minimum requirement.

Yeah you have a huge problem in that case. For other Unis, if you don't meet their minimum requirements, they will still take you in with open arms because they need to fill their seats for their various courses. But when it comes to a good Uni like LSE, they have a huge list of students on their waiting list and simply dying to get in who do meet their entry requirements.

I did manage to get into LSE myself for Law this year, but I had to work my butt off!

gower
The common feature is examination results, either A level grades (and Scottish/IB equivalent), UCAS points or a combination of the two. Personal statements and academic references also play a big role.

Yeah, that's the most important stuff. You should try and make sure that your personal statement is bang on! There are several threads on the website that help you with writing that. Your academic reference as well is very significant in helping Unis shape their decision on you. Also sending your application early helps, although I'm not sure if that is a proven fact, it worked in my favour. I got accepted to LSE really early because my application went in the third week of October.

gower

That again is important and you need to look into the specific requirements of the course you're applying for. When I applied to King's for Law, I needed to have sat for the LNAT exam. The same exam was necessary for Oxford, as well as an interview and if I remember correctly I also had to post to them a marked assignment (essay) as additional criteria for judgement. But that's something that varies from course to course and university to university.
(edited 13 years ago)
didgeridoo12uk
twister, its the only real way to decide anything

:no: You're misinformed. It's actually rock, paper, scissors.
Reply 7
the_neg_master_
I like your answers.. But seriously, I also "heard" that some unis discriminate against grammar schools.

I think universities have a target proportion of comprehensive school applicants to take on, and can be penalised financially if they don't have a good reason for not meeting it. Some universities risk the hit in order to take on the best students, others meet or exceed the target. I'm not sure it will continue under the new government though since they're anti-target (and rightly so IMO).
Original post by arrowhead
I don't think they discriminate on the basis of that at all actually. I think that Grammar schools may just end up with the shorter end of the stick but that's more to do with the fact that Unis are salivating for International Students that pay three times more tuition than UK residents. You probably just think you get discriminated against but that's not true at all. If your grades are good you will get in regardless.

Yeah you have a huge problem in that case. For other Unis, if you don't meet their minimum requirements, they will still take you in with open arms because they need to fill their seats for their various courses. But when it comes to a good Uni like LSE, they have a huge list of students on their waiting list and simply dying to get in who do meet their entry requirements.

I did manage to get into LSE myself for Law this year, but I had to work my butt off!

Yeah, that's the most important stuff. You should try and make sure that your personal statement is bang on! There are several threads on the website that help you with writing that. Your academic reference as well is very significant in helping Unis shape their decision on you. Also sending your application early helps, although I'm not sure if that is a proven fact, it worked in my favour. I got accepted to LSE really early because my application went in the third week of October.

That again is important and you need to look into the specific requirements of the course you're applying for. When I applied to King's for Law, I needed to have sat for the LNAT exam. The same exam was necessary for Oxford, as well as an interview and if I remember correctly I also had to post to them a marked assignment (essay) as additional criteria for judgement. But that's something that varies from course to course and university to university.

Hey really need an advice from an LSE student I currently have 2A*3A with an A* in maths and A in further in my A levels predicted but I don't meet the else admission requirement in English language GCSE, having 3A*2A 2B and a C in English I am extremely worried for my chances of getting in I am planning to apply in math and economics major hope you could help me
thank you,
Original post by AZZANZAHID
Hey really need an advice from an LSE student I currently have 2A*3A with an A* in maths and A in further in my A levels predicted but I don't meet the else admission requirement in English language GCSE, having 3A*2A 2B and a C in English I am extremely worried for my chances of getting in I am planning to apply in math and economics major hope you could help me
thank you,

(This thread is 10yrs old so the poster is long finished from LSE)

If you are an international student, they may just ask you to complete an IELTS or similar. If you are a uk student then you will likely need to be retaking Eng to be considered. You can contact them directly to ask though.
Original post by Admit-One
(This thread is 10yrs old so the poster is long finished from LSE)

If you are an international student, they may just ask you to complete an IELTS or similar. If you are a uk student then you will likely need to be retaking Eng to be considered. You can contact them directly to ask though.

I am an international student I have given islets and scored 7.0 will be giving it again but is it possible to submit the score after the application deadline
Original post by AZZANZAHID
I am an international student I have given islets and scored 7.0 will be giving it again but is it possible to submit the score after the application deadline

Yes. If you don’t meet the English requirements at the point at which you apply, any offer will just include an English condition.

Latest

Trending

Trending