The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think it's important. You need to be predicted A* at some subjects to fulfill the requirements, so I don't see how some people on here go on saying they are useless. An applicant predicted A* obviously has shown more competence to his teachers than one predicted A. But I agree the predictions could be biased, how much this affects the application process, no one here will be able to answer.
Reply 2
If places ask for an A* (there can't be that many, surely?), then it will be a massive disadvantage if you're only predicted an A. They may weed you out straight away. I know for Oxbridge and LSE for example, an A* is a huge benefit.
AlexR.92
If places ask for an A* (there can't be that many, surely?), then it will be a massive disadvantage if you're only predicted an A. They may weed you out straight away. I know for Oxbridge and LSE for example, an A* is a huge benefit.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/info/policy.html
Please note that the University recognises that making accurate A* predictions will be difficult for schools/colleges in the early years of this new A level grade. As such, we will not be placing any weight on whether or not an A* grade is predicted by referees.

don't talk crap.
Reply 4
Yeah, sorry forgot to say the A* was in physics :P Thanks for the replies, I guess I shouldn't be too worried if cambridge say that they don't value it too much.
Reply 5

Don't talk crap?

Ok then, good luck getting in to Cambridge without an A*.
AlexR.92
Don't talk crap?

Ok then, good luck getting in to Cambridge without an A*.

I have 4 predicted actually cheers.
Of course you can't get in without an A*. at a2. the prediction, however, is irrelevant. it says so explicitly on their admissions website.

they recognise that different schools/ colleges will react differently to the A*, and some won't give any A* predictions to anyone.

if i may quote once more:
(i'll even generously underline the key points)

† Please note that the University recognises that making accurate A* predictions will be difficult for schools/colleges in the early years of this new A level grade. As such, we will not be placing any weight on whether or not an A* grade is predicted by referees.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
TimmonaPortella
I have 4 predicted actually cheers.
Of course you can't get in without an A*. at a2. the prediction, however, is irrelevant. it says so explicitly on their admissions website.

they recognise that different schools/ colleges will react differently to the A*, and some won't give any A* predictions to anyone.

if i may quote once more:
(i'll even generously underline the key points)

They say that, but they don't seriously consider anyone without a 90% average.
AlexR.92

90% average =/= A* prediction.
I think you're getting confused somewhere here.
I shall quote it again.

Please note that the University recognises that making accurate A* predictions will be difficult for schools/colleges in the early years of this new A level grade. As such, we will not be placing any weight on whether or not an A* grade is predicted by referees.
Reply 9
TimmonaPortella
90% average =/= A* prediction.
I think you're getting confused somewhere here.
I shall quote it again.

Lol xD.

No they aren't OP, unless of course as the first few posts mentioned, are a requirement by the courses.
Reply 10
AlexR.92

And you know this truthfully because?

The amount of **** people say on here such as 'I know for a fact', 'I've heard this..' etc

STFU. You know no more than any other applicants!

Latest

Trending

Trending