The Student Room Group

My final UCAS uni choices, will I get an offer?

Hey I got:

GCSE : A*AAAABBBBBCCC (My A* is an distinction which is equivalent to an A*)

In my first year of college I got :
ABCC (A2 Maths , AS Electronics , AS Computing , AS History)

Predicted Grades:
AAA (A2 Further Maths , A2 Electronics , AS Critical Thinking)

What I aim to achieve:
A* - A2 Math (1 retake)
A*/A - A2 Further Maths
A*/A - A2 Electronics (1 retake)
A - AS Critical Thinking
A/B - AS History (1 retake)
C - AS Computing

I was meant to get A* in my maths this year with A in electronics and A in computing. I was a 2 marks of the A* in maths ,1% of an A in Electronics, and even though I was 0.5% of a B in computing, I messed that up.

These are my 5 University choices:

UCL - Msci Math and Statistical Science/Math - Entry requirment: A*AA
Warwick - MMorse - Entry requirment: A*AAa
Edinburgh -MMath - Entry requirment: AAA-ABB
Birmingham - Msci Maths - Entry requirment: AAA
Sheffield - MMath - Entry requirment: AAA

So will I get an offer from these universities?

Scroll to see replies

looks like it. nothing to worry about.
I think you are being a little too ambitious. Maybe go for one out of UCL/Warwick and replace the other with a lower one.
Reply 3
Well do you believe that I will get an offer from Birmingham, Sheffield and Edinburgh? I do. Im not a 100% sure about Edinburgh, however I believe I will get an offer from Birmingham and Sheffield, so why not go for warwick and UCL.That's what I thought because I would really like to go to either of these 2 universities. But what do you think my chances are of getting an offer from UCL and Warwick.
well.. i'm not so sure to be honest.
you might want to reconsider the universities you're applying to - i mean, your GCSEs and AS grades were alright, but you're applying to top unis! most people applying to UCL will have at least 5A* and straight As for AS levels.
you need some places with lower grade requirements - in case you actually screw up. just in case.
i say, apply to three of these unis and find some which require ABB and AAB.
good luck.
Reply 5
well since Im doing further Maths Birmingham and Sheffield say that they would lower the entry requirment to AAB
I'd say you're applying too high.
Reply 7
so which university should I substitute
Reply 8
I thought you couldn't get an A* if you retook?
Reply 9
I would apply to Blackpool only, I know just putting 1 choice is risky but live a little.
You should choose one out of UCL and Warwick.
Reply 11
But I want to go to either of them so badly
I would substitute UCL, as it's more competition if I am correct
lizlaz350
I thought you couldn't get an A* if you retook?

Seriously? Where did you hear this :s-smilie:
Your GCSE's quite simply are not good enough. You need to apply to the lesser universities. Its the truth and it will hurt.
You are competing with people in my school who got 9-12 A*'s at GCSE and 2-3 A* predictions for the same course at UCL and Birmingham.
cpdavis
Seriously? Where did you hear this :s-smilie:

My school told us. Apparently, if you did an exam in January, then retook it in June of the same year then it's fine and the first one doesn't count, but if you do the original exam at AS then retake it at A2 then you can't get an A*.

I don't know if my school just made this up?
Reply 16
Yes but I want to give it a shot plus chances are that those students at your school would have also applied to oxbridge so isn't it likely that UCL and Birmingham would predict this and that's why maybe not UCL but birmingham gives offers to students like me
Let me just gaze into my crystal ball.....

You will get many offers.
Reply 18
I could replace edinburgh, even though I don't want to, or is that a Uni that would give me an offer?
(edited 13 years ago)
Don't listen to them, just try and hope for the best. Aim high! (remember most people on TSR take great pleasure in putting people down)

Latest