The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm atheist, and against abortion, although I don't think that choice should be taken away.
Reply 81
I'm a pro-choice atheist but I don't see any inherent contradiction in being atheist and against abortion. Arguments tend to focus on the rights of the foetus against those of the mother, and I haven't actually seen anyone bring God into one of those debates as a point in itself.
No, i'm religious and am against abortion in every case other than the double-doctrine effect. I believe life begins at conception, hence abortion= murder.
Reply 83
WrigglyMammoth
you're talking about a baby right, or a foetus, I forget which

You asked me about a foetus.
Am I an atheist? Yes.

Do I think abortion is bad? No, but good? No again; I think it's better to generally act in a sexually responsible manner than get in a situation where an abortion is felt desirable or necessary, although obviously when it's for medical reasons or some other factor out of the mother's control I have no objection whatsoever. Contraception should be promoted heavily rather than abortions, although they should still be available on the NHS. Also, comprehensive sexual education. At the moment it's a joke in this country.

Do I want to take the choice away from women? HELL NO.
(edited 13 years ago)
Trigger
It is not self aware, it does not have the ability to make decisions, it cannot survive without leeching off it's mother, it has practically no brain function whatsoever. For me a foetus is no better then a tumour.

Tumour: part of your body; has your DNA; no use to anyone; will never be anything better.

Foetus: not part of your body (debatable I suppose, but I and many others take this line); has its own unique DNA; will be loved a great deal by one of the unlucky couples who cannot have their own baby and are on the waiting list for adoption; will grow into a unique human being who could have a great life, if you give it the chance.

By all means make pro-choice arguments, but don't make such a ridiculous claim without backing it up.
Reply 86
derangedyoshi
Tumour: part of your body; has your DNA; no use to anyone; will never be anything better.

Foetus: not part of your body (debatable I suppose, but I and many others take this line); has its own unique DNA; will be loved a great deal by one of the unlucky couples who cannot have their own baby and are on the waiting list for adoption; will grow into a unique human being who could have a great life, if you give it the chance.

By all means make pro-choice arguments, but don't make such a ridiculous claim without backing it up.

I wasn't stating it as fact it was in my opinion. Unlike you i don't state my opinion as fact. I don't see why i should be a vessel for some "unlucky couple". The world is over populated enough. My womb, my choice.
Trigger
I wasn't stating it as fact it was in my opinion. Unlike you i don't state my opinion as fact. I don't see why i should be a vessel for some "unlucky couple". The world is over populated enough. My womb, my choice.

You're not aborting your womb, are you? You're aborting the innocent foetus inside it.
And I'd love to hear you tell a group of prospective adoptive parents that "the world is overpopulated enough".
Reply 88
derangedyoshi
You're not aborting your womb, are you? You're aborting the innocent foetus inside it.
And I'd love to hear you tell a group of prospective adoptive parents that "the world is overpopulated enough".

Emotive language doesn't really affect me so please do us both a favour and stop it. If i don't want something in my womb it is my right to get rid. However i am smart enough to take enough precautions that conceiving is near enough impossible.

They can foster or adopt older children. If they want kids that much there are plenty in care that were born to parents that felt they couldn't abort for whatever reason.
(edited 13 years ago)
midpikyrozziy
Anyone else like this? Seems that the anti-abortion stereotype is the typical mad Catholic, just wondering if there are any other non-religious folk against it.

lots of people are like me: both not religious and not keen on killing. if i was a woman i wouldn't kill a fetus. but then again i'm a vegetarian and i wouldn't kill a rabbit either.
oops, i should have written "foetus".

Latest

Trending

Trending