The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Do British people in Scotland, England and Wales actually care about Brits in NI?
Reply 41
ainm
Can't say I know anyone who refers to themselves as 'Northern Irish'

What about as Irish?
ainm
Do British people in Scotland, England and Wales actually care about Brits in NI?

I do yes, because I want to visit NE and SE Ireland one day. Apparently it's a beutiful landmass. Up there with Norway and Iceland (but not quite there)

I'm an Athiest, and the whole charade is pretty tradicaly comical to me - comical in the sense that I do HONESTLY wonder what these people are actualy fighting over. It's not even oil, it's some long forgoton, bitter religious bull. It's just gangs now. Like Norris Green and Netherly here in Liverpool.
(edited 13 years ago)
ainm

I do.
Reply 44
ThinkingThoughts
Hi,

I am one of those people.

I'm English technically - but always, and quite fervently refer to myself as British.

I am proud of our "unity" and I think it gives us strength, further it's more internationally recognisable and I think it's fair to say the rest of the world groups us as one anyway.

Why are we so sectarian? We're a brilliant collective, and how much sense does it make to divide an already tiny island up even more anyway? I love the Welsh, Scottish and Irish as much as the English - the distinction is practically void. The very little cultural differences we have is what makes our proximity so valueable.

Anyone else feel the same?

Many Welsh Scottish and especially Irish people don't see themselves as anything to do with England
Reply 45
EsStupido
What about as Irish?

I've heard only people identify themselves as Irish or British. Anyone on here call themselves Northern Irish???
Reply 46
ainm

I do :biggrin:

But mainly because if I paraded round my hometown calling myself British I'd be shot, if I called myself Irish I'd be laughed at and beaten to death.

Particularly protestant areas of NI get very touchy about this.

So in other words I have no identity :frown:
Teveth
Not on friendly terms? What a load of tosh!

Do you not see the point in Spain either? What about Germany or Italy?

The United Kingdom is not something that can be broken up at the drop of a hat, you know. We are one country, just like any other. As for your comment on Wales, the Welsh language is not dying. It's actually growing. Not that I support independence or anything...

I'm not suggesting it should break up, I just don't see the point in it anymore as seen as we are all different countries (unlike Spain, Italy and Germany which are all singular countries) - the splitting up of the UK would cause far too much trouble so I'm not for the partition.

I just think we shouldn't be so bound by one anothers laws and it shouldn't be like some countries get more spending per head of person (as seen as the money is spread out) than others.
I think it'd just save so much arguments if Great Britain was apart - Northen Ireland chaos would probably calm down and the Scottish would stop complaining about independance.

Okay, the Welsh lanaguage isn't dying as such - it's just shrank a whole load over decades. Also, I am aware that most Welsh speak in English anyway? Forgive me if I'm wrong.
EsStupido
Does sort of shatter this illusion of "unity" does it not?

Yes it does. I'm not really deluded. Being from Wales.... all I hear is racist jokes about the English... and it really does make me sad. As another poster just said... I really wish we were more unified. My family are made up of Scots, English and Welsh (amongst other nationalities from outside the UK) so I've never really felt such blind hatred to any other part of the UK.
Reply 49
ThinkingThoughts
I do yes, because I want to visit NE and SE Ireland one day.

I'm an Athiest, and the whole charade is pretty tradicaly comical to me - comical in the sense that I do HONESTLY wonder what these people are actualy fighting over. It's not even oil, it's some long forgoton, bitter religious bull.

Do us all a favour and walk around with a megaphone yelling, "long live the Queen". I give you 2 minutes.
Reply 50
ENNGUF
I think you've got your terms mixed up as "most populated" refers to the size of the population (but not in relation to the area of the land) to which we wouldn't be anywhere near third anyway (China is the most populated country followed by India and the USA which is third). I think you meant population density where the UK is actually 51st in the world for being the most densely populated. I do think we are quite densely populated but we aren't that bad compared to other developed countries like Japan, the Netherlands and Belgium though. :smile:

No, I meant Great Britain is the third most populated island, not country.
ainm

I do yes, because I want to visit NE and SE Ireland one day. Apparently it's a beutiful landmass. Up there with Norway and Iceland (but not quite there)

I'm an Athiest, and the whole charade is pretty tradicaly comical to me - comical in the sense that I do HONESTLY wonder what these people are actualy fighting over. It's not even oil, it's some long forgoton, bitter religious bull. It's just gangs now. Like Norris Green and Netherly here in Liverpool. Sorry if the conflict "means anything" to you, but that's my appraisal.
Reply 52
EsStupido
No.

I consider it a genuine shame that we (The mighty English) don't go it alone.

Yes, the mighty English who were turned over by the Romans (when much of Scotland wasn't) :p:

Yes, I am aware that the ancient Britons weren't english (they weren't Germanic).
Reply 53
ainm
I've heard only people identify themselves as Irish or British. Anyone on here call themselves Northern Irish???

Meeeeeeeeeeee.

See my previous post for full details
EsStupido
Do us all a favour and walk around with a megaphone yelling, "long live the Queen". I give you 2 minutes.

I don't agree with Monarchy mate.
Reply 55
Welsh but I say British.
Fallen
I enjoy making Scottish, and generally 'northerner' jokes (I am from London), but identify myself as British and this it would be stupid if the Welsh, English and Scottish couldn't stick together. I mean we have been together for 150 years, our polics have always been pretty intertwined, and seems pointless to divide us.
The Northern Irish... well I don't mind them tagging along, but would seem less trouble if they were just part of Ireland though :P

Are you for ******** real?!? I don't want to get all serious on your ass at this time of the night but your comment shows absolutly no understanding of the political situation in Northern Ireland and believe me, Irish re-unification what not be 'less trouble' in any way shape or form. If you had any knowledge of Irish history or first hand experience of the bloodshed that has stained our land (which was largely down to the English anyway) for the past few centuries you would not make such an ignorant, ill-informed offensive comment. Your ignorance truly astounds me.
But that's all I would expect from an Englishman anyway, especially one from London. There. How's that for a sweeping generalisation?
Antifazian
********, the Scottish are clearly superior.

We hope you have a nice stay in Southampton, if you're going there.

I refer to myself as British and think it's better that we're all unified.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 58
incompetent
Are you for ******** real?!? I don't want to get all serious on your ass at this time of the night but your comment shows absolutly no understanding of the political situation in Northern Ireland and believe me, Irish re-unification what not be 'less trouble' in any way shape or form. If you had any knowledge of Irish history or first hand experience of the bloodshed that has stained our land (which was largely down to the English anyway) for the past few centuries you would not make such an ignorant, ill-informed offensive comment. Your ignorance truly astounds me.
But that's all I would expect from an Englishman anyway, especially one from London. There. How's that for a sweeping generalisation?

An accurate one?:wink: :p:
ainm
An accurate one?:wink: :p:

Nice, despite I, the OP, an Englishman - was citeing the exact opposite.

Latest

Trending

Trending