The Student Room Group

RAF Medical- Asthma

My boyfriend is applying for Weapons Systems Operator (you may have seen my previous post) and has his interview on 12th oct!! :smile:

It says 'Applications will be rejected if you suffer or have suffered from asthma in the last 4 years. However, if you have been diagnosed previously as suffering from asthma but have remained symptom free for a continuious 4 year period you may be considered for ground service, but not aircrew'

Well my boyfriend was 'diagnosed' with asthma when he was younger and last medical record was when he was 7 getting new inhalers. He's 21 now. He never had an asthma attack or even used his inhalers. But he is worried this will stop him getting in RAF. I've seen on a website that one guys doctor put it down as a mis-diagnosis as he like my boyfriend never even suffered from asthma.

Is it even worth mentioning on his medical form? Or shall he just put he never suffered from asthma? Or should he go to his doctor and see if they can put it down as a mis-diagnosis. :confused:

Getting in to the RAF means everything to him & we both don't want anything to ruin his chances.

Thanks for your help
Reply 1
Well it still may be possible as you have said he hasn't suffered any problems and he is now 12.
If there were no problems over the age of 12 it should be okay.
I would still discuss it with a doctor to see if this is valid.

This also applies to hay fever.
I use to have ravenous hay fever when I was a young child.
But no such symptoms after the age of 12.
If you suffer from asthma or have done in the past, you cannot be considered for flying branches of the RAF.

Taken from this:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/rafcms/mediafiles/8AC4A6D0_5056_A318_A8628AA28D2D8DAE.pdf

which is taken from the RAF Careers website.

Rules have got tighter. You can't not tell them - they will get access to medical records. If he really was misdiagnosed, he needs to do lots of research. There are lots of posts on here and PPRUNE regarding wheezy boys and their claimed misdiagnosis. Do more searching.
Reply 3
Can I ask did your boyfriend get in? I am looking at applying for the same role. And had “childhood asthma” although never had an attack do not use inhalers and I think it was more to do with my hayfever rather than asthma. I have no wheeze or anything.
Reply 4
Original post by Kims1991
Can I ask did your boyfriend get in? I am looking at applying for the same role. And had “childhood asthma” although never had an attack do not use inhalers and I think it was more to do with my hayfever rather than asthma. I have no wheeze or anything.

This thread is 10+ years old. You won't get a reply here.

Asthma rules have changed since this thread was created, so the answer is "it depends".

Latest