The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Computer Science at Bristol - Entry Subjects

Hey guys, ive been a strong follower in TSR, though this is my first thread!

Ive been looking for a 4 year MEng in Computer Science at Bristol, and my predicted grades are A* in Maths, A in Physics and A in Computing.

I have heard that computing is a 'bad' subject to study for CompSci, it has been said that they want diversity in the subjects. I originally wanted to do Maths at uni, but Computing at A-Level swayed my opinion, (what im trying to say is that i didnt choose Computing at A level to try and get into a Computer Science degree).

Is this true? Would someone with Maths Physics and History be at any advantage to me doing Computing at A level?

Thanks in advance
ZacPh
Reply 1
That makes no sense. They could turn around and say, "If you are so interested about computing that you want to study it for 4 years why didn't you take it for A-Level." Just be honest, if it doesn't go well maybe you are better off not studying at that uni.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Golzernurf
That makes no sense. They could turn around and say, "If you are so interested about computing that you want to study it for 4 years why didn't you take it for A-Level." Just be honest, if it doesn't go well maybe you are better off not studying at that uni.

Thanks for the response :smile:

Anyone else have any advice on CompSci at bristol or any advice on the admissions/personal statement would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

ZacPh
At most universities A level computing is not a mandatory subject to take a CompSci degree. Most of the top unis ask for Maths as a requirement though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks guys. any other tips?
Reply 5
definitely won't be a disadvantage doing computing at A level. What matter is that you have maths (and predicted A* like you are puts you in a good position).
universities wont ask for you to take computing as an A level, because not all places teach it. this doesn't mean its bad to do it.

i did AQA Computing and found it helped with some modules up to christmas. after that, it's all new:smile:
Reply 7
I am at Bristol University doing the computer science MEng, and I did maths, computing, and physics at A level.
mahaneap
I am at Bristol University doing the computer science MEng, and I did maths, computing, and physics at A level.

oh dear, not another ginger from Poole Grammar doing CS at Bristol :awesome:
Reply 9
Absolutely. I don't believe taking computing at A-level will particularly give you any advantage or disadvantage on your application. I know plenty of people here who took it and plenty who didn't.

As has been said, maths is the only real requirement.
Reply 10
In my school there is no subject like Computer Science. I did IB programme and I decided to write my extended essay on CS on my own + I had no one to supervise me ( I had a supervisor due to formal requirements - my maths teacher who didn't check my work at all) and I got A in my essay :P And I succeeded to apply for 2011 deferred entry.
I'm in my 3rd year at Bristol doing Comp Sci, and I took Maths, English, Music and IT (lol) at A level.

Latest

Trending

Trending