The Student Room Group

My A-Level Choices; Too limiting?

So basically I'm a Year 11, and I'm currently in the process of choosing my A Levels. Might be a bit early, but I thought I'd get some research done on them, and hear your opinions on my A Levels.

I'm thinking of doing 5 AS levels, then 4 A Levels (is that manageable/advised?) I'm really interested in a lot of the courses offered, but obviously I can only pick a max of five.

At the moment, I'm thinking of doing English Literature, Government & Politics, Modern History, Psychology and either Philosophy or Biology to make five AS levels. Would me not doing a Science subject limit me at all? I don't intend on doing either Science or Maths at university at this point, even though I am good at them at GCSE-level, and I do enjoy Biology.

And additionally, how difficult would it be to obtain As/A*s in these subjects?

Reply 1
Well, what are you aiming to do at university? If you're not planning on doing a scientific subject then not taking one shouldn't limit you at all. Also, English Lit and Politics ftw! :p:
Reply 2
At our school, they only let you do 5 AS levels then 4 A Levels if you did exceptionally well in your GCSEs, ie mainly A*s. But your school may be different.

I only did essay based subjects like you're planning to but then I was completely sure about what I wanted to do at Uni and that it would not need maths or science.
Reply 3
I'm predicted 10 A*s and 2 As so they should let me do five. However, I think that's because I have quite a good memory for regurgitating facts in exams xD
Anyone have any idea about how many essays you have to do in my subjects? (In terms of hours per week.)
As for university courses, I'm thinking about Law, Journalism, or English Literature. I'd also like to work in television as a producer/researcher of new shows, but I'm not 100% on what university course to do to help with this. But as soon as I'm 18, I'm applying for work experience at the BBC :biggrin:
Reply 4
Maths and Science are becoming increasingly important and your still not sure if you want to study them. I suggest you do English Lit, Gov & Pol, Psychology, Maths and Biology. Maths because it will be an advantage for most courses at uni and your not limiting yourself either.
Achieving A*/A at A levels is down to your own determination and hard work. I know people who got B's in GCSE Maths and achieved an A in A level Maths.
Take maths it should be the first on everyones list.
Reply 6
Psychology is described as a science by most universities (especially if your applying for psyche)- although its percieved more as a 'softer' one than physics (although I find them equally hard). Some specs go into quite abit of detail in describing the philosophy of science, if you are analysing freud or such. But, something like Biology could be a better choice for snobs :smile:
Reply 7
From personal experience Englsish Lit is the hardest- ALOT of essays and FAR more work than psyche. But some people are naturals at it (you will know yourself). Psychology isn't too hard to get an A* :wink:
Reply 8
Sternumator

Agreed
Reply 9
Sternumator

Why maths? I'm on track for an A* in GCSE Maths, but I don't particularly enjoy it. Why should I take it at A level if I don't want to do a Maths/Science degree? (But I presume it would be helpful for Psychology.)
Reply 10
I hated Maths at GCSE, but it got a hell of alot better at A-level. If you're not sure you should at least give it a try for a couple of lessons.
sparklelilz
Why maths? I'm on track for an A* in GCSE Maths, but I don't particularly enjoy it. Why should I take it at A level if I don't want to do a Maths/Science degree? (But I presume it would be helpful for Psychology.)

If you are predicted an A* then take it. It is one of the most respected A levels and is essential for most non crap degrees. I would give up on the phycology, most people like the idea in year 11 but it isn't a fun subject once you actually study it. By not taking maths or science you will limit your options a lot. Just go for subjects high up on the trinity list and then you can do what ever you decide when it come to appyling to university.
Reply 12
I would only reccomend 5 if your doing a maths +further maths combination otherwise you're gonna have a bad time with the amount of essays you will be doing.
What the hell, I asked a very similar question to this yesterday and have only had one reply, I've bumped it twice already! WTH :confused:

:frown:
Reply 14
james-brown28
:frown:

Aww, I would help you if I knew anything about A levels and careers!
I hope someone helps you soon :smile:
sparklelilz
So basically I'm a Year 11, and I'm currently in the process of choosing my A Levels. Might be a bit early, but I thought I'd get some research done on them, and hear your opinions on my A Levels.

I'm thinking of doing 5 AS levels, then 4 A Levels (is that manageable/advised?) I'm really interested in a lot of the courses offered, but obviously I can only pick a max of five.

At the moment, I'm thinking of doing English Literature, Government & Politics, Modern History, Psychology and either Philosophy or Biology to make five AS levels. Would me not doing a Science subject limit me at all? I don't intend on doing either Science or Maths at university at this point, even though I am good at them at GCSE-level, and I do enjoy Biology.

And additionally, how difficult would it be to obtain As/A*s in these subjects?

1. Five is doable, but can be a bit of stress since you won't get as much free-time in school to study/relax. Four is doable at A-level, easily, but you most schools will usually advise you on what's "best for you."

2. You are in no way limited by what you take, unless it's Media, Drama and RS with an aim at a degree in Marine Biology. I didn't take a science, I'm happy with my degree course; Unis don't look down on you for not being an "all-rounder" - they just care that you have a passion/an ability for the degree you end up in.

3. A's are fairly easy to get...if you work hard - if you're going to slack off playing cards in the common room every free lesson, don't expect them to drop into your lap. Sure, go relax every now and again, but try to do some study/homework/actual "school stuff" in a free as well...
English Lit - easy A, if you can write an essay coherently and understand the different opinions available in a reading of a novel/poem/play
Gov&Pol - British politics is a piece of cake; American politics is deceptively easy. Just read the paper, go over concepts and case studies. Easy A.
History - a mix of Gov&Pol and English. Remember key facts, write coherent essays; always try to research well for any coursework, not just the info packs that teachers give out... sorted.

I have no experience with Philo/Psychology or Biology, so I can't say. I'd assume they have their own quirks which can make them 'easy' -- honestly, a bit of a hard work and persistence and you can get your A-grades.
sparklelilz
Aww, I would help you if I knew anything about A levels and careers!
I hope someone helps you soon :smile:

It's nice to know someone cares... lol :wink:
If you take Chem as your 5th you would be doing exactly what I chose at your age! Freaky..
I found that with the number of essays I had, 5 was too much, and my grades at AS reflected it. However, I did 2 resits to sort out strange results, dropped 2 and only did 3 A Levels, and came out with awesome results, so it didn't damage me that much :biggrin: haha!
Really it depends on what you want to do for a career as to whether a science subject is a good idea. If you don't intend on a science based degree, then the choice is totally yours as its not going to be essential :smile:
As for your choices - I adored Psychology, Politics and History (so much that I couldn't decide what to carry on with at uni and have chosen courses with enough flexibility to take modules in all 3!). I grew to hate English Lit with a passion because of all the essays and the total ambiguity (there weren't differing viewpoints to discuss; it was an interpretive subject), but then everyone's different :smile:
Good luck!
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest