The Student Room Group

Government needs to axe funding on mickey mouse degrees

Lets be realistic now people, do you want to fund somebodys three year course on events management and retail management (corner shops)?

The government should wake up and stop giving money to these silly micky mouse degrees on all the colours of the rainbow. Core degrees like science, medicine, maths, law etc are being cut when the real people like silly international beauty retail or some crazy stuff need to be axed.

I am not attacking the humanities or saying they are worse than science based degrees, but the silly ones like events or managment that we do not need.

I recently read there is a degree in international football, puppetry and golf management? WHAT A WASTE :eek3:

Next thing we know we'll be doing degress on sofas and short skirts:rolleyes: while relevant subjects take the bat
(edited 13 years ago)
SoaringStar
Lets be realistic now people, do you want to fund somebodys three year course on events management and retail management (corner shops)?

The government should wake up and stop giving money to these silly micky mouse degrees on all the colours of the rainbow. Core degrees like science, medicine, maths, law etc are being cut when the real people like silly international beauty retail or some crazy stuff need to be axed.

I am not attacking the humanities or saying they are worse than science based degrees, but the silly ones like events or managment that we do not need.

I recently read there is a degree in international football, puppetry and golf management? WHAT A WASTE :eek3:

Next thing we know we'll be doing degress on sofas and short skirts:rolleyes: while relevant subjects take the bat

Golf management would actually be of some sort of advantage in managing a golf course.

Anyhow, I'm just going to ignore your blatant bashing of Mickey Mouse subjects and just say that you should really just know how much money the uni covers for those courses on the other side.

If that is beneath the £3,290 a year, no cuts need to be made. Right? If we actually had some indication of how much these Mickey Mouse subjects cost, then we'd be able to judge the situation quite easily instead of jumping on the 'let's-cut-funding-to-all-Mickey-Mouse-subjects' bandwagon.
(edited 13 years ago)
SoaringStar

Agreed. I would add that there are too many students doing law and something needs to be done to lessen the number of students. There are too many solicitors.
you do realize that management leads to MBA and those people run the top firms around the world. Micky Mouse degrees my ass.
Reply 4
Retail managment is not a corner shop you dope. It means running anything in the retail industry.
x_muneeb_x
you do realize that management leads to MBA and those people run the top firms around the world. Micky Mouse degrees my ass.

What? :lolwut:
Reply 6
Don't forget the fact that people on 'mickey mouses' pay the same as those on medicine who get a lot more contact time and resources for their money, perhaps they are actually subsidising the cost of those courses?
Please, try say something which has not been said by everybody. It's getting old, people slamming 'those useless mickey mouse' degrees.
(edited 13 years ago)
Aj12
Retail managment is not a corner shop you dope. It means running anything in the retail industry.

This. A mickey mouse degree is a degree in Sofa studies..
Reply 9
What the government needs to do is take the axe to the head of people that whine incessantly about mickey mouse degrees without actually having any knowledge as to what they entail.
Reply 10
deathbeforeimmortality
Golf management would actually be of some sort of advantage in managing a golf course.

Anyhow, I'm just going to ignore your blatant bashing of Mickey Mouse subjects and just say that you should really just know how much money the uni covers for those courses on the other side.

If that is beneath the £3,290 a year, no cuts need to be made. Right? If we actually had some indication of how much these Mickey Mouse subjects cost, then we'd be able to judge the situation quite easily instead of jumping on the 'let's-cut-funding-to-all-Mickey-Mouse-subjects' bandwagon.

I guess the questions to ask are how many golf courses are there compared to the number of graduates, do their managers really need to have an academic degree and just how useful those skills in these courses are in other jobs. I don't see a degree in "football pitch management" and groundsmen have been doing a fantastic job without a degree, there is no scope for any research in this field and it is a vocation, so really a Golf Management Degree is not an academic subject that needs to be taught in university.
ish90an
I guess the questions to ask are how many golf courses are there compared to the number of graduates, do their managers really need to have an academic degree and just how useful those skills in these courses are in other jobs. I don't see a degree in "football pitch management" and groundsmen have been doing a fantastic job without a degree, there is no scope for any research in this field and it is a vocation, so really a Golf Management Degree is not an academic subject that needs to be taught in university.

What I was simply saying was that these subjects aren't 'useless' like the OP has tried to suggest. They are simply not necessary to do such jobs but at the same time they aren't exactly useless in a sense that they don't teach anything valuable.

I actually believe that subjects that you have mentioned and other quite vocational Mickey Mouse subjects should be moved to colleges instead of being at uni but that's another topic.
Universities are academic places, so they should be teaching academic subjects like (Arts, Humanities, and science). I think the government should get rid of these from universities, but still offer them at colleges (which I think usually teach more vocational stuff). e.g. if you want to work for the FA, a qualification in International football would be an easy proof of experience.
And how would you define a 'Mickey Mouse' degree? :holmes:

Latest

Trending

Trending