The Student Room Group

Extra-curricular for Oxbridge?

Hi, basically my aim is to go to Oxbridge in 2012 (don't know what course yet) and although I'm smart, I'd probably be at the lower end of the academics there (I got 5 A*'s and 6 A's at GCSE and will almost certainly get 4 A's at A-Level, if not an A* or two). The thing is, I know that people have gone to Oxbridge with worse grades, but what with competition being so high at the moment, and many people having better GCSEs, and I would like to be sure to be accepted. I am the Finance Director for the Young Enterprise at my school, I did DofE Bronze and will probably do Silver. Although I'm decent at sports, I'm no-where near good enough for that to be relevant.

My problem is that it will be difficult to differentiate me from other potential candidates, and because all of our AS-grades will be similar, my GCSEs will be brought into account and alot of people will have better grades.

What I would like to know is will my extra-curricular activities be good enough to get into Oxbridge alongside my academic side, or are they not enough? Or easily too much? Please answer! Thanks :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just make sure you don't play the flute if you apply to oxford. To prove I'm not trolling, see the link below
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/7965715/Universities-uninterested-in-pupils-extra-curricular-activities.html
Reply 2
Typical ECs are not what will differentiate you from other candidates. An enthusiasm for your subject, demonstrated by subject related activities, will differentiate you. What subject are you going for?
Reply 3
they don't care.
Reply 4
bobbycrisp
Hi, basically my aim is to go to Oxbridge in 2012 (don't know what course yet) and although I'm smart, I'd probably be at the lower end of the academics there (I got 5 A*'s and 6 A's at GCSE and will almost certainly get 4 A's at A-Level, if not an A* or two). The thing is, I know that people have gone to Oxbridge with worse grades, but what with competition being so high at the moment, and many people having better GCSEs, and I would like to be sure to be accepted. I am the Finance Director for the Young Enterprise at my school, I did DofE Bronze and will probably do Silver. Although I'm decent at sports, I'm no-where near good enough for that to be relevant.

My problem is that it will be difficult to differentiate me from other potential candidates, and because all of our AS-grades will be similar, my GCSEs will be brought into account and alot of people will have better grades.

What I would like to know is will my extra-curricular activities be good enough to get into Oxbridge alongside my academic side, or are they not enough? Or easily too much? Please answer! Thanks :smile:

What's more likely to get you rejected is deciding to go to Oxford and then choosing your subject/course. They want to see passion and enthusiasm for your subject more than anything else :smile:.
Sorry, there is no such thing as "sure to be accepted".

Oxbridge will look first and foremost at your academics, and if those are not good enough then no amount of extra-curriculars will compensate. Conversely, someone could get in with brilliant academics and no ECs.

Best advice is a) read a lot (in your subject-area, in related areas, broadsheet newspapers, good books) and b) do things you enjoy.
Reply 6
Depends what course perhaps good for Law or medicine for the personal statement but all they drill into you is showing enthusiasm and academic flair for your subject so by all means relate the currics you've done to your subject. Please don't take up things just for Oxofrd or Cambridge it really doesn't make a difference to admission.

Example used by St Edmunds admissions tutor
if you're in interview we may ask you about an activity or subject related interest to start you off and get conversation flowing. If you horseride then put it down and we may ask but please don't lie as these questions are supposed to relax you.

Include some of the things you've done and by all means take advantage of good opportunties but don't do it just for Oxford/ Cambridge you're judged on academic merit only :smile:
you won't be able to fit half that **** on your PS (I can't even fit my work experience on mine, and that's far more relevant than DofE), and at interview they will be talking primarily about your course.
oxbridge tutors do not care how you spend your life outside of the subject.
Reply 8
wow you sound like a ****.

"(I got 5 A*'s and 6 A's at GCSE and will almost certainly get 4 A's at A-Level, if not an A* or two)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
i am cool
wow you sound like a ****.

"(I got 5 A*'s and 6 A's at GCSE and will almost certainly get 4 A's at A-Level, if not an A* or two)

I'm a **** because I'm smart and prepared to work hard? Ok then, in that case, I guess I am. I'm not pretending to be a genius; I know that people are smarter than me, and who got much better GCSEs and 3 A*'s at A-Level. Are they***** too?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Do things outside of school around your course.
They want to see firstly your academic performance, and also your academic interest. Top universities have enough good applicants that for every person with straight As and A*s but is luke-warm about their course there is someone with the same grades but clear academic ambition.
Therefore, once you are on your way to achieving top grades, set about doing things outside of school relevant to your course.

On a side note, it is the same for Gap Years. I spoke to senior tutors at Imperial and Oxford, and they both said that they liked gap years if you, say for Computer Science, do 9 months with IBM or Google or something, but that doing 9 months in Malawi really does nothing except make your more rusty when you come back to your studies.
bobbycrisp
I'm a **** because I'm smart and prepared to work hard? Ok then, in that case, I guess I am. I'm not pretending to be a genius; I know that people are smarter than me, and who got much better GCSEs and 3 A*'s at A-Level. Are they ***** too?

I think the suggestion is you shouldn't say this when you've only just started your AS Levels. You never know what might happen.

Also, how do you know Oxbridge is the best for the course you choose?
(edited 13 years ago)
Seriously, Oxford and Cambridge do not give a **** about extra-curricular activities, with the exception of Medicine (where relevant volunteer/paid experience is a must).

I'd stick with choosing your subject for now, if I were you. It's silly to choose a university before you even know what course you want to study - teaching styles and topics covered differ wildly at different universities, so you might not even like the programmes at Oxford or Cambridge for your chosen subject.
bobbycrisp
I'm a **** because I'm smart and prepared to work hard? Ok then, in that case, I guess I am. I'm not pretending to be a genius; I know that people are smarter than me, and who got much better GCSEs and 3 A*'s at A-Level. Are they ***** too?

No because they aren't waving it around it other people's faces or speaking about it in an arrogant tone...
There's plenty more to oxford's admission criteria such as a good performance on the admissions test.
By the way, you're not in a position to judge whether you'll get straight A's at A-Level because you haven't looked at them properly yet. A lot of different factors will come into it when you get to A-Level.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
*pitseleh*
Seriously, Oxford and Cambridge do not give a **** about extra-curricular activities, with the exception of Medicine (where relevant volunteer/paid experience is a must).

This. They (rightly) don't give a **** about anything except your aptitude in your subject.
Reply 15
SmallTownGirl
I think the suggestion is you shouldn't say this when you've only just started your AS Levels. You never know what might happen.

Also, how do you know Oxbridge is the best for the course you choose?

I know, I could mess up my exams and go to a different university. I wasn't trying to sound like an arrogant prat, but my A-Levels are my best subjects and I have really good and devoted teachers. Plus, my brother completely messed up his January exams and still ended up with 3 A's and went to Manchester.

I have looked at lots of different courses at different universities, but because each subject can have so many variations to it, I don't yet know what I want to do. It could be Biology, or Languages, or Economics, or Physics... I really, really enjoy them all (sounding really gay atm haha) but I don't know which will help me most in my future job (also yet to be decided)
Reply 16
Farhan.Hanif93
No because they aren't waving it around it other people's faces or speaking about it in an arrogant tone...
There's plenty more to oxford's admission criteria such as a good performance on the admissions test.
By the way, you're not in a position to judge whether you'll get straight A's at A-Level because you haven't looked at them properly yet. A lot of different factors will come into it when you get to A-Level.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that I forced you to read my thread. I just said my GCSEs and hopeful A-Level results because otherwise people would focus more on them, when my question is concerning extra-curricular activities. And I'm also sorry for shouting to the heavens that got good GCSEs, which is obviously what I did, based on your reply
Reply 17
Meh, I think they would prefer you express a unique enthusiasm for the chosen subject rather than list extra curriculars that many other applicants will probably have.

I have only devoted a small paragraph for the purpose. I tried to keep the rest of my statement subject related.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
bobbycrisp
I know, I could mess up my exams and go to a different university. I wasn't trying to sound like an arrogant prat, but my A-Levels are my best subjects and I have really good and devoted teachers. Plus, my brother completely messed up his January exams and still ended up with 3 A's and went to Manchester.

I have looked at lots of different courses at different universities, but because each subject can have so many variations to it, I don't yet know what I want to do. It could be Biology, or Languages, or Economics, or Physics... I really, really enjoy them all (sounding really gay atm haha) but I don't know which will help me most in my future job (also yet to be decided)

You won't get in, especially if you use the word "gay" as a derogatory term.
bobbycrisp

I'm applying this year for physics and although I'd have a half-decent chance for Oxbridge I really don't think the courses are right for me. Southampton and Sussex are much better.

Oh and darling, you really don't sound 'gay' at all. Not compared to me and my friends...

Latest

Trending

Trending