The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

oh defo! notttt
Reply 2
To us, no. To them, yes.
Guy Secretan
They fight against a professional trained army f far superior numbers. They are mostly armed with ak47s and grenades roadside bombs. The Americans and Brits have machine guns motars not to mention air support which provides big tactical advantages and fire power. So my question is; do you think they are courageous?

Yes, and also, they have nothing to live for, and have very little value for human life. They think they're going to be getting 72 fresh vaginas if they get killed on their way to throwing acid in school girls' faces for daring to get an education (and thus challenge their stupid dogma).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Anyone who's doing something with the knowledge that they could be killed is usually courageous.
Reply 5
Without a doubt.
Reply 6
given their use of IEDs and roadside bombs which are as likely to kill afghans as foreign soldiers i would say that they are pretty cowardly.
Square
given their use of IEDs and roadside bombs which are as likely to kill afghans as foreign soldiers i would say that they are pretty cowardly.

It's the only way they can fight, given the military might of the US.
Reply 8
The Taliban are filth. This is not courage, it's the face of religious fascism:

To take on the world's most powerful army + european allies and managing to last for many years, I think it's certainly impressive. Now it's either because they're extremely good or the US is really rubbish.

I presume not even the Taliban themselves would see what they do as 'courageous', because they're not doing something they fear. For them fighting in wars and dying in the name of their religion doesn't really require courage as such, they embrace it as if it's their duty.

A lot of western soldiers often do ask the question, how does one defeat an army that doesn't fear death? If anything they actually look (and hope) to be the 'blessed' ones that are killed asap.
(edited 13 years ago)
They're not courageous, they're deluded. I bet most of them don't know why they're fighting, but have been made to believe, without question, that if they die while fighting the whities that they'll end up somewhere better. They don't care if their family will miss them, they don't care if innocent people die in their selfish pursuit of some heaven. The courageous people are people who fight knowing that if they die, that's it.

Courageous people aren't so frightened of losing power that they maim and kill women and children who disobey their dogma.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Dirac Delta Function
Yes, and also, they have nothing to live for, and have very little value for human life. They think they're going to be getting 72 fresh vaginas if they get killed on their way to throwing acid in school girls' faces for daring to get an education (and thus challenge their stupid dogma).
I've always wondered about the 72 virgins thing. A beardy terrorist with a hook for a hand doesn't seem like a great reward for the 72 girls who followed the qurans strict teachings and stayed virgins all their lives. Not only that but I'm pretty sure a **** load of terrorists are being killed so aren't they going to run out of virgins at some point? What happens then?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
I think most soldiers of any nationality who have fought the Taleban would acknowledge that they are courageous fighters.

Kipling was lauding the bravery of their predecessors 150 years ago. Not much has changed.
Logi
I've always wondered about the 72 virgins thing. A beardy terrorist with a hook for a hand doesn't seem like a great reward for the 72 girls who followed the qurans strict teachings and stayed virgins all their lives. Not only that but I'm pretty sure a **** load of terrorists are being killed so aren't they going to run out of virgins at some point? What happens then?

It's almost like they didn't use any common sense or basic reasoning when they decided to believe, with gun-wielding certainty, in a religion.
(edited 13 years ago)
Guy Secretan
They fight against a professional trained army f far superior numbers. They are mostly armed with ak47s and grenades roadside bombs. The Americans and Brits have machine guns motars not to mention air support which provides big tactical advantages and fire power. So my question is; do you think they are courageous?

I went to a lecture yesterday which posed the question of whether the British army could have defeated the patriots (Americans) during the American Revolutionary War. It was left open ended as the strategy used during this period is nothing new nor is the Taliban's strategy in essence, each generation copies the same pattern of behavior in war except for advances in technology. The key idea is to understand whether it's the arms involved or the thoughts of the individual parties involved that determines the outcome of the war/conflict.
Logi

no, they're not earth wiminz, they come off the factory line in heaven.

hooks are a babe magnet in heaven, and they have a practical application too
Reply 16
Dirac Delta Function

I want one of those wall hooks :frown:
Reply 17
Dirac Delta Function

Want!
Reply 18
Democracy
The Taliban are filth. This is not courage, it's the face of religious fascism:

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Guy Secretan

They are certainly brave. It takes balls to go up against the worlds most technologically advanced and best trained armies with nothing but RPG's, rusty old AK's and fertilliser.

Saying that, I am not sure there is anything courageous about planting IED's which kill indiscriminitly (Over the last 4 years 7,000 civilian casualties have been casued as a result of IED's alone- not including Taliban suicide bombings, executions, assassinations and all the rest of it) nor the large amount of civilian deaths which they cause. The Taliban are responsible for 83% of all civilian deaths according to that wikileaks article, with ISAF being responsible for 7% and government forces being responsible for the rest. And unlike ISAF and government forces, the Taliban purposefully target civilians in many instances, and have no qualms with using them as human shields.

Latest

Trending

Trending