The Student Room Group

Major crisis, want to change A level subjects, one month in!

Hello.

Right, I took Biology, Chemistry, History and English Lit.

I just realized that my GCSE's were awful, and I won't be considered for dentistry, anywhere. (All B's, some C's.)

I was thinking of changing Biology and Chemistry to RS and Geography.

Just wanted to ask,

Should I just stick to the subjects I'm studying atm, work my a** off, and see where it takes me? After all, I am one month in.
Should I keep at least one science, just in case?

AND

Does it really matter if I didn't take Geography at GCSE?

Thanks. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
No backsies.
Reply 2
The college might be reluctant to let you change now that you're a month in. Chem and Biology are solid subjects for any degree, so you shouldn't be too fussed about them.
I'd carry on if doing dentistry was important to you. You can always resit a couple of GCSE exams or redo some coursework, if you REALLY want to do dentistry.

Don't give up, if it's your dream don't let anything stand in your way.
Reply 4
I wouldn't recommend it unless you're very determined. I joined Sixth Form a month in (dropped out of college), and it took me until christmas of year 13 to catch up and feel confident about the work. Your subject choices are a nice mix of science based subjects and humanities subjects at the moment. :smile:
Reply 5
Depends how hard you'll work to catch up. If you are commited there is no reason you can't. I swapped physics for psychology a month in and caught up very well and got an A at the end so it worked out fine. Swapping two might be quite hard though, so maybe just change chem to rs?
Idk if you would need geography GCSE, and I hated chem. But it really depends what you want. Good luck :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
dangermouse00
I'd carry on if doing dentistry was important to you. You can always resit a couple of GCSE exams or redo some coursework, if you REALLY want to do dentistry.

Don't give up, if it's your dream don't let anything stand in your way.

Thanks, but my ideal university is somewhere like Manchester. I doubt I'd be considered, even with 4 A's at A level. :mad: :frown:
Reply 7
awais590
Thanks, but my ideal university is somewhere like Manchester. I doubt I'd be considered, even with 4 A's at A level. :mad: :frown:

I think for manchester you will most definately be atleast considered, and if everything else is right you would be in with a good chance of getting in. its not as if its a top 10 or even top 20 uni, where GCSEs tend to play more of a part.

though if your talking dentistry, then that is probably going to be a bit harder...
(edited 13 years ago)
awais590

Then you obviously can't want it that much. If I had something I was desperate to achieve, I wouldn't lt something like that stop me. Especially since you can so easily resit GCSEs nowadays.

A lad in my class wanted to do Medicine, but he didn't have the right GCSEs so he resat some exams and redid some coursework and right now he's doing Medicine at Manchester. I think you'd be giving up far too easily.
Reply 9
dangermouse00
Then you obviously can't want it that much. If I had something I was desperate to achieve, I wouldn't lt something like that stop me. Especially since you can so easily resit GCSEs nowadays.

A lad in my class wanted to do Medicine, but he didn't have the right GCSEs so he resat some exams and redid some coursework and right now he's doing Medicine at Manchester. I think you'd be giving up far too easily.

OMFG. You honestly don't know how much motivation this has given me.

Thank you very much. :biggrin:
Reply 10
I switched to Geography two weeks in and I hate it. That is to do with the unit we're doing (coasts) so it depends what kind of geography you're interested in and what your college/sixth form is doing?

Latest