The Student Room Group

What's the point of 4 A2's for Maths?

Hi Guys,
I'm currently doing A-level Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry in year 13, as well as an EPQ in Statistics. However, I have been wondering what the usefulness of Chemistry will be to my application, as I got a B in it at AS and can't see myself doing any better at A2. I am aiming for LSE, Warwick, UCL, Manchester and Liverpool Maths and Stats and was just wondering what the point is of taking chemistry to A2?
Thanks,
Danni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For fun.
Reply 2
Well i'm at warwick this year but the grade boundaries are quite high for our application! If you really want to come here or to anywhere else that requires a high offer then perhaps you should drop chemistry and get 3 solid A levels. I did maths, further, physics and chemistry to A2 (aswell as STEP 1&2 and AEA) and this summer i had 11 exams... I would recommend avoiding this!
danni2010
Hi Guys,
I'm currently doing A-level Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry in year 13, as well as an EPQ in Statistics. However, I have been wondering what the usefulness of Chemistry will be to my application, as I got a B in it at AS and can't see myself doing any better at A2. I am aiming for LSE, Warwick, UCL, Manchester and Liverpool Maths and Stats and was just wondering what the point is of taking chemistry to A2?
Thanks,
Danni

Not really much point in taking chemistry to A2, although i'm surprised you didn't take physics to at least AS level.
Drop Chem.
Reply 5
ABBB or AAA?

Your choice.
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice guys, so it won't increase my chance of an offer?
thegodofgod
Not really much point in taking chemistry to A2, although i'm surprised you didn't take physics to at least AS level.

Basically, didn't know what I wanted to do at start of as, so started out doing normal Maths, Bio, Chem, German(was thinking pharmacy) but now I know I want to do maths and stats so have had to self-learn m1 and fp1, which is enough self-learning on it's own, let alone physics as and a2!
Reply 7
Don't bother with 4 A2 subjects, especially if you don't see the point in one. Drop chemistry and focus on the other three.
danni2010
Maths, Bio, Chem, German(was thinking pharmacy)

exactly the same situation here :biggrin: (although i'm considering medicine as well, though i'm not too fond of my GCSE results :s-smilie:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
I simply did 4 A2s because doing Maths & Further Maths wasn't like doing two separate A-Levels.
Reply 10
Noble.
I simply did 4 A2s because doing Maths & Further Maths wasn't like doing two separate A-Levels.

how do you mean? surely it counts as 2?
Reply 11
Which do you prefer out of Biology and Chemistry?

Drop the weaker one...
Reply 12
danni2010
how do you mean? surely it counts as 2?

Yes of course, but it wasn't anywhere near as much work as doing two. I'd have probably spent 50% more time on Maths and History as two A-Levels than Maths and Further Maths.
Reply 13
what innerhollow says. and LSE dont do maths :erm:
We were told if you are able to keep up with the work do four because they will look on you more favourably unless you can show what you were doing with your extra time like national sports team, but given I guess you could show you did AEA and STEP with your extra time you may just be justified. Personally I some how managed five A2s, by form teacher so helpfully told me on results day he didn't think I was going to be able to manage it, it was a bit late by then.
Reply 15
Hi Guys,
I'm back and have now decided that I want to drop, but it would leave a huge space in my timetable which I would prefer to fill. I've already done an EPQ, but I was wondering if there were any other A-Level Type/Equivalent qualifications which I could have a go at which were about Maths, or in particular statistics, or some kind of IT?
Thanks,
Danni
Original post by dotty_but_good
We were told if you are able to keep up with the work do four because they will look on you more favourably unless you can show what you were doing with your extra time like national sports team, but given I guess you could show you did AEA and STEP with your extra time you may just be justified. Personally I some how managed five A2s, by form teacher so helpfully told me on results day he didn't think I was going to be able to manage it, it was a bit late by then.

This is incorrect advice.
Reply 17
I'm doing 3 A2s and an EPQ and have a nice shiny range of offers. :biggrin:

If you're worried about the spare time, teach yourself more maths modules (some exam boards do an additional further maths a-level) or do STEP. Suddenly you'll find yourself wishing that you'd never complained about being able to relax :wink:
Original post by danni2010
Hi Guys,
Thanks,
Danni

Well as an applied mathematician I am glad I took A-level physics and chemistry. Biology would have been useful too, and I also wished I had learnt some economics. Further maths is easy if you are naturally good at maths, but it pays to learn the foundations of science before you start your degree. Nothing directly to do with your application...looking further than that.
In my opinion, taking 3 a-levels is enough, as even at Cambridge they only require 3 a-levels. However if you want to study 4, why not? nothing is stopping you? you just need to make sure you have good time management so that you don't lower your grades over all because of the work load. Also taking further maths and maths is alot less than taking 2 different subjects. Ofcrouse they overlap all the time, and the free periods you have should be plentyful time to get all your questions/exersices/homeworks done for maths and fmaths. so that means chillin time at home :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest