The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

godOFmaths
OK maybe maths isnt compolsary for some uni's but in general i would say unlses your a genuise you shouldent be studying medicine without the aid of mathamatics:eek3:

correct me if im wrong

I agree, Maths to at least AS level is recommended!
Reply 81
KingMessi
Yeah, it's just that there's quite a significant amount more....

very true! im finding just a few more hours, and that problem is dealt with :wink:
Reply 82
KingMessi
Are you doing AQA????

OCR biology + Geography, AQA maths and psychology (B i think)
Reply 83
Biology - fine, just a lot to remember
Psychology - a lot to remember but interesting
Maths - easy
Chemistry - complete epic failure
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 84
Gradual progression from AS I think. Glad I have only 1 exam in January, hopefully can get an A :biggrin:.
Reply 85
godOFmaths
OK maybe maths isnt compolsary for some uni's but in general i would say unlses your a genuise you shouldent be studying medicine without the aid of mathamatics:eek3:

correct me if im wrong

You're certainly not a God of english are you? With that spelling.
That's a load of **** you talk, maths isn't compulsory in any medical school, except 1 or 2. Where do you take your information from?
Reply 86
Maths is fine Chemistry is fine Physics is allright History is fine just a lot of essays. Further Maths dunno statring this week :biggrin:
Reply 87
fletchdd02
Maths isn't necessary for medicine!

it is for the unis ive looked at
Reply 88
humy369

Then you've only looked at Cambridge and Imperial, and even then they will happily take physics instead of maths. Refer to the chart in the link which shows you no other universities need maths or physics:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 89
mooniibuggy
I agree, Maths to at least AS level is recommended!

By who? The maths teachers at school who want you to take their subject? The headteachers who want you to take maths so the school looks good? Refer to the link below. You will see that only Cambridge and Imperial need either maths or physics, and nobody else needs or really wants either.

Cinqueta
By who? The maths teachers at school who want you to take their subject? The headteachers who want you to take maths so the school looks good? Refer to the link below. You will see that only Cambridge and Imperial need either maths or physics, and nobody else needs or really wants either.

By who? it's common sense. A medicine degree has a lot of maths in it according to the med students i've spoken to. I don't think GCSE maths is going to get you to graduation. My maths lecturer told me that maths skills start to disappear after a while, which is why a gap year is looked down upon when applying for a maths degree. I'm just saying it's recommended. However, I know quite a few med students and they took maths to at least AS level :smile:
mooniibuggy
Aahh I had the same problems as you when I started AS bio/chem!
As an A2 student, I would recommend the revision guides! Buy them ASAP!! They're really helpful and explain things thoroughly and revise what you learn in class from there. Trust me! It simplifies things and I wish I had got them earlier. Good luck with AS :smile:

Thanks :yep: I think I'm definately going to try and buy them soon, the school hasn't even given me a chemistry text book yet :/ so I think I'll buy my own :smile:
Bio - enjoying more than GCSE, tell there is a lot to be learnt
Chem - love chemistry so much, easy atm, don't see how it is hard?
Phy - just joined, its ok
Maths - ok, fine, finding it pretty easy
Reply 93
mooniibuggy
By who? it's common sense. A medicine degree has a lot of maths in it according to the med students i've spoken to. I don't think GCSE maths is going to get you to graduation. My maths lecturer told me that maths skills start to disappear after a while, which is why a gap year is looked down upon when applying for a maths degree. I'm just saying it's recommended. However, I know quite a few med students and they took maths to at least AS level :smile:

You don't think GCSE maths will get you to graduation? My GP who just retired never did maths beyond O-level (GCSE standard), and she went to Oxford and graduated with a first class degree. Of course you'll argue there's always exceptions, but there's thousands of doctors like her who never did AS maths.

If it were recommend it would be an almost unwritten rule like biology is, but it isn't. There's enough maths in A-level chemistry as it is to be competent in the maths you're going to use later on. Some prospective medics choosing their A-levels may read your post and think "She's saying maths is very recommended, I better take it even though I'm not very good at it, otherwise I'll never get accepted onto a medical course or if I do I'll find it too hard and have to drop out". They'd end up with AAD and a rejection instead of AAA with an offer if they took maths.

It may not seem like it, but posts on here really do make people decide on their futures. Don't make people make the wrong choices.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 94
humy369

Tell me what those uni's are?
Cinqueta
You don't think GCSE maths will get you to graduation? My GP who just retired never did maths beyond O-level (GCSE standard), and she went to Oxford and graduated with a first class degree. Of course you'll argue there's always exceptions, but there's thousands of doctors like her who never did AS maths.

If it were recommend it would be an almost unwritten rule like biology is, but it isn't. There's enough maths in A-level chemistry as it is to be competent in the maths you're going to use later on. Some prospective medics choosing their A-levels may read your post and think "She's saying maths is very recommended, I better take it even though I'm not very good at it, otherwise I'll never get accepted onto a medical course or if I do I'll find it too hard and have to drop out". They'd end up with AAD and a rejection instead of AAA with an offer if they took maths.

It may not seem like it, but posts on here really do make people decide on their futures. Don't make people make the wrong choices.

Ok then, GCSE students can ignore what we say and go with their own views but I'm being serious when I say it's recommended. As an A2 student, I've been to a lot of Medicine open days (I considered applying earlier in the year) and spoke to admission tutors who actually told me it's recommended. Not only will it benefit you academically, but it will give you an advantage as you'll be competing with candidates who have 3 or 4 science A levels, including Maths. You do know it's something like 15 per place, right? Candidates with Maths A level possess many skills such as having the ability to think logically and solving difficult problems on their own, which are essential skills for becoming a doctor. They want you to be able to face the academic challenges of the Medicine degree and the Maths A level is definitely more academic than the Psychology one (let's say you chose that instead, and this is from my experience). Entry to Medicine has become a lot more competitive than when your previous GP graduated! Besides, I would rather fail my A levels than my Medicine degree and be thousands of pounds in debt :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Robpattinsonxxx

Chem - love chemistry so much, easy atm, don't see how it is hard?

Oh just you wait for Unit 2, you'll be cursing Group 7 until the day you die :awesome:
Started A2 a month ago. I have only one thing to say: 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine.
tehsponge
Oh just you wait for Unit 2, you'll be cursing Group 7 until the day you die :awesome:
Started A2 a month ago. I have only one thing to say: 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine.

This made me LOL :biggrin:
Don't forget benzene 1,4 dicarboxylic acid :wink:
Reply 98
Politics - very interesting, enjoy the lessons
History - enjoying, definitely need to get work in on exam technique
Psychology - fairly interesting, research methods are a bit boring but this is my easiest as, pretty good :smile:
Geography - coasts. so boring....
Reply 99
History- enjoying the subject, but too many essays
Chemistry- slowly getting there, a bit hard, but fun :smile:
Maths- still getting to grips with some of it, but i think i'll cope :smile:
Philosophy- really interesting, but some of it goes straight over my head. its a bit hard to grasp. and the essays kill me.

But overall i'm really enjoying sixth form and i think after the initial shock of a levels wears off, it should be okay :smile:

Latest