The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

I have two questions.
Does anyone know where I can find a current programme of films showing at the union? I bought the film pass so I'd kind of like to use it at some point haha
Also, are there any karaoke bars near UEA? :smile:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by diamonddust

Original post by diamonddust
I have two questions.
Does anyone know where I can find a current programme of films showing at the union? I bought the film pass so I'd kind of like to use it at some point haha
Also, are there any karaoke bars near UEA? :smile:

If you get the union calendar poster thing they have it tells you all the films, and hopefully the union website will be updated at some point.

Blue bar does karaoke once a month, and Project does too. Not sure where else you can do it. The blue bar dates are also on the union calendar.
Reply 122
Anyone know where the CD Annex rooms are? I need 0.27 and 0.23

Original post by Nut.
Anyone know where the CD Annex rooms are? I need 0.27 and 0.23

The building at the end of campus next to the med school. There will be signs telling you where the rooms are, and the rooms are all labelled :smile:
Reply 124
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
The building at the end of campus next to the med school. There will be signs telling you where the rooms are, and the rooms are all labelled :smile:

Ah, thanks.
The grey building to the left of H2 on this map? http://www.uea.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.91534!/campusmap_April09_V9.pdf

Labelled "Chancellor's Drive Seminar Annexe"?
Hello! I visited the open day for East Anglia yesterday and I really liked the university and I am certain that it will be one of my top two choices. However, there are just a few things that I'm unsure about regarding sport at the university and the use of the Sportspark. I enjoy a range of sports but the main sports I do are athletics (mainly middle to long distance running) and swimming. Does the university compete in the main competitions such as the BUCS? Also, if I were to join the club, would they be providing regular training for us and how would we go about paying for it? Would we have to get a yearly/monthly membership or would we have to pay everytime we use the facilities, even if we were training for the club? Sorry if it is a bit confusing to understand!

Finally, how well would you regard the type of training they do and in general, how would you rate the competitive sport at East Anglia e.g. how well do they typically do at events etc.

If anybody could answer this question, then you would be really helping me out! :smile:
Reply 126
Having visited UEA yesterday, both my mum and i fell in love with it! I've already decided it's going to be my first choice - risky, i know - but the one question i forgot to ask was, what is the night life like? I love cities for their night life, but i love UEA so much that i hope Norwich has a good enough scene for it to not be a negative side to UEA?!
Reply 127
Original post by Nut.
Ah, thanks.
The grey building to the left of H2 on this map? http://www.uea.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.91534!/campusmap_April09_V9.pdf

Labelled "Chancellor's Drive Seminar Annexe"?

That's the one. It's basically a giant portacabin, you can't miss it.
Reply 128
Original post by Guygp
Having visited UEA yesterday, both my mum and i fell in love with it! I've already decided it's going to be my first choice - risky, i know - but the one question i forgot to ask was, what is the night life like? I love cities for their night life, but i love UEA so much that i hope Norwich has a good enough scene for it to not be a negative side to UEA?!

It's generally regarded as being pretty good - if you wanted to go out every night you defintely could. The club on campus, the LCR, is silly but lots of fun and cheap and a good night out if you just go with it. In town there's the main clubbing road Prince of Wales, which has loads and loads of bars all trying to pull you in with drinks deals and what not.

The main clubs are Lola Lo's, which is home to the Fat Poppadaddy's club night, Knowhere, which is home to POW! and Project, which is an absoutly huge new redevelopment down at the Riverside with loads and loads of different areas and rooms, which has Propaganda on a Friday night. There used to be another superclub called Mercy, but that closed down when Project opened. It's currently being refurbed, so it should be open by the time you get here. It was a bit of a hole, though...

Norwich also has loads of really great independant pubs and bars if you fancy something a bit different.

If you're used to clubbing in really big cities like London or Manchester you might find it a bit smaller and less exciting, but it's still a pretty good night out.
Original post by BethanW
It's generally regarded as being pretty good - if you wanted to go out every night you defintely could. The club on campus, the LCR, is silly but lots of fun and cheap and a good night out if you just go with it. In town there's the main clubbing road Prince of Wales, which has loads and loads of bars all trying to pull you in with drinks deals and what not.

The main clubs are Lola Lo's, which is home to the Fat Poppadaddy's club night, Knowhere, which is home to POW! and Project, which is an absoutly huge new redevelopment down at the Riverside with loads and loads of different areas and rooms, which has Propaganda on a Friday night. There used to be another superclub called Mercy, but that closed down when Project opened. It's currently being refurbed, so it should be open by the time you get here. It was a bit of a hole, though...

Norwich also has loads of really great independant pubs and bars if you fancy something a bit different.

If you're used to clubbing in really big cities like London or Manchester you might find it a bit smaller and less exciting, but it's still a pretty good night out.

Mercy is opening again very soon, and my flatmate has been telling the rest of us that its a great club, as have a couple of 2nd years. :frown:
Reply 130
Original post by jelly1000
Mercy is opening again very soon, and my flatmate has been telling the rest of us that its a great club, as have a couple of 2nd years. :frown:

Eh, I never liked it. Overpriced, overcrowded and the music was always awful. I also cut my foot open in there once because they give drinks in glass bottles and cups and people drop them all over the dance floor. I was wearing open shoes, and someone stood on my foot with a big chunk of glass stuck to the underside of their shoe. :rolleyes:

It was also where a lot of the locals went and although that isn't a bad thing, it just meant there was often agro between very drunk students and locals.

To be fair though, I'll probably give the refurb a chance, 'cause they're really going to have to up their standards to compete with Project and Lolas.
Reply 131
Bit of an odd one, what were that duo called that were performing in the main bit by the fountain? Lne was on guitar and the other on the bongos
Reply 132
Original post by BethanW
Eh, I never liked it. Overpriced, overcrowded and the music was always awful. I also cut my foot open in there once because they give drinks in glass bottles and cups and people drop them all over the dance floor. I was wearing open shoes, and someone stood on my foot with a big chunk of glass stuck to the underside of their shoe. :rolleyes:

It was also where a lot of the locals went and although that isn't a bad thing, it just meant there was often agro between very drunk students and locals.

To be fair though, I'll probably give the refurb a chance, 'cause they're really going to have to up their standards to compete with Project and Lolas.

thanks guys! definitely hoping for an offer now - fingers crossed!
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
It is. And it's an awful place for lectures. Last year I spent every Monday in there :sadnod:

I now see your love for the drama studio :/ There weren't even enough seats for the whole of the environmental school, some had to sit on the floor, and it's annoying having to use your lap as a table to take notes. Don't know how you did it every Monday!
Luckily we were only in there for this week and the week after we're in the lecture theatres.

Gotta love how a girl asked me for directions to go to CD annex like I know where that is, I kinda just sent her down chancellors drive thinking that's what CD stands for... but I did see a rabbit today! They're so cute.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by makingamemory

Original post by makingamemory
I now see your love for the drama studio :/ There weren't even enough seats for the whole of the environmental school, some had to sit on the floor, and it's annoying having to use your lap as a table to take notes. Don't know how you did it every Monday!
Luckily we were only in there for this week and the week after we're in the lecture theatres.

Gotta love how a girl asked me for directions to go to CD annex like I know where that is, I kinda just sent her down chancellors drive thinking that's what CD stands for... but I did see a rabbit today! They're so cute.

Yeah we had the not enough seats problem last year. And the no tables thing too :sad: You do (unfortunately) get used to it. I have two lectures there tomorrow, although on the whole my rooms are good this year :biggrin:

And yeah, it's right at the bottom of chancellors drive, next to the med building :yep: I love being on campus early so you see all the squirrels scampering about :smile:
Original post by BethanW

That was the problem we had at Project last night they had glass cups and people just dropped them on the floor so all night we kept feeling the glass beneath our shoes (luckily no one was wearing open shoes). Then with the added foam it would have definitely been bad if someone slipped on that and landed on the glass.
This is aimed at any non freshers- at the moment I've noticed everyone I know of hangs around with their flat- they go to classes, then go straight back to the flat, and whenever they go out its with their flat. Was this the case in the first few weeks of your freshers year? How long did it take, if at all, before you were able to make friends on your course?
Reply 137
This is aimed at any non freshers- at the moment I've noticed everyone I know of hangs around with their flat- they go to classes, then go straight back to the flat, and whenever they go out its with their flat. Was this the case in the first few weeks of your freshers year? How long did it take, if at all, before you were able to make friends on your course?

Honestly, I never really made any very good friends off of my course. I have a friend I go to lectures and things with, but we met on facebook before hand, and a few people I would stop and chat with who I've met through seminars and things, but that's about it. Saying that, there's a couple of girls I get on quite well with now who I met at the end of last year and who I'd probably invite to things like house parties/birthdays etc but we never really see each other outside of that kind of social situation.

It's not the same for everyone though - I'm vague acquaintances with a few people on my course who I know are in quite a tight friendship group. They were all in the same CW seminar, so that's why.

For me, I made those kind of friends in my society, but it's different for everyone. I'd say just be open to anything that comes your way - you'll probably be surprised, looking back in a few months, how many of your very good friends you didn't know at this point. My housemate and I didn't meet until the beginning of November, and I'd say she's probably my best friend here now.
Original post by BethanW
Honestly, I never really made any very good friends off of my course. I have a friend I go to lectures and things with, but we met on facebook before hand, and a few people I would stop and chat with who I've met through seminars and things, but that's about it. Saying that, there's a couple of girls I get on quite well with now who I met at the end of last year and who I'd probably invite to things like house parties/birthdays etc but we never really see each other outside of that kind of social situation.

It's not the same for everyone though - I'm vague acquaintances with a few people on my course who I know are in quite a tight friendship group. They were all in the same CW seminar, so that's why.

For me, I made those kind of friends in my society, but it's different for everyone. I'd say just be open to anything that comes your way - you'll probably be surprised, looking back in a few months, how many of your very good friends you didn't know at this point. My housemate and I didn't meet until the beginning of November, and I'd say she's probably my best friend here now.

Thats good to know, thanks for your insight :smile:
I don't really have very many friends on my course, which is probably my own fault, because I thought "I've got friends in my flat, I don't need them on my course", and then realised that actually it would be nice to have more friends. I'm working on that this year. Having said that, I've built up an extended friendship group through flatmates and the people they meet on their courses, and I'd say that it was only really after Christmas (the end of the first term we were all sick to death of each other, and also more comfortable with the people in seminar groups to start hanging round with them outside of lectures) that we started mixing with other people. Of course that's not to say we didn't go out with other people, but everyone else seemed to mix with their flats a lot too. Interestingly, it's completely changed this year. I seem to spend most of my time with either people on my course (because I can't go to my flat in between lectures) or with friends of one of my housemates, who seems to know everyone on campus. The only time we've been out as last year's flat is to the LCR last week.

Quick Reply

Latest