The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
biochem. i think it's the most versatile in terms of job flexibility. in case you want to call it quits with the pharmas.
Without meaning to sound like an arse, you should really be asking yourself which you'll enjoy most and which you're best at rather than which pays the most money and whih is resected.

Generally, if you enjoy the subject, you're better at it. If you're good at what you do (this applies to pretty much everything) you gain respect for it and your skills will be rewarded with £££.

I can only speak from the POV of a pharmacy person. I have found a job for when i (hopefully) pass my degree already, and there are loads of jobs about for pharmacists, so it is kind of reassuring to know that you shouldn't be jobless when you finish.
theres only 16 pre-reg places available in industry though, so you have to be pretty special to get one of those.

From other people i know though, if you are really interested in money, go into computery stuff. they get paid loads more than most pharmacy people do.
Reply 3
Jimmocrates
Without meaning to sound like an arse, you should really be asking yourself which you'll enjoy most and which you're best at rather than which pays the most money and whih is resected.

Generally, if you enjoy the subject, you're better at it. If you're good at what you do (this applies to pretty much everything) you gain respect for it and your skills will be rewarded with £££.

I can only speak from the POV of a pharmacy person. I have found a job for when i (hopefully) pass my degree already, and there are loads of jobs about for pharmacists, so it is kind of reassuring to know that you shouldn't be jobless when you finish.
theres only 16 pre-reg places available in industry though, so you have to be pretty special to get one of those.

From other people i know though, if you are really interested in money, go into computery stuff. they get paid loads more than most pharmacy people do.

Enjoyment is not a factor I consider important
Reply 4
money is the most important thing.

sooner or later everyone is gonna be a boff in comps and there wont be enough jobs. yes pretty much everything is computerised but still - i wouldnt bother.
Reply 5
How would you go about doing work experience?
Has anybody done it at Astrozeneca
kalonation

Howmany jobs have you had?
If you dont like something, you will eventually despise it. Its very difficult to continue a profession you grow into not being able to stand. You dont have to love every single second of a job, but it has to be something you partially enjoy in order to maintain it.
Reply 7
silent ninja
Howmany jobs have you had?
If you dont like something, you will eventually despise it. Its very difficult to continue a profession you grow into not being able to stand. You dont have to love every single second of a job, but it has to be something you partially enjoy in order to maintain it.

Exactly, you have just strengthened my argument. I don't consider enjoyment as important, but partially important. In my statement, I have no way implied that I don't mind of I hated my ocupation, but that partial enjoyment is enough for me to consider that vocation.

I have an interest in all of these subjects and would like someone to please give me their opinion on which of these subjects they consider 'better' and why.
Reply 8
You can get £60k locuming as a pharmacist.
Reply 9
Tesh
You can get £60k locuming as a pharmacist.

Im not so sure, maybe if youre lucky! As a pharmacist you will be looking @ around 30k :redface:
Actually I worked it out the other day when I was trying to get to sleep. :rolleyes: sad I know...

Anyway, supposing you earn £33-35/hour (which is about the top end going rate), and you work 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, for 45 weeks a year (yes 7 weeks annual holiday! :smile: ) - works out about £60K, then you need to take off tax, NI and expenses (travelling, etc.)

Before you consider becoming a locum pharmacist though, have a read of this - http://www.pjonline.com/Editorial/20050416/society/statcomm.html#6 - highly amusing :laugh:
Kingspharm
Actually I worked it out the other day when I was trying to get to sleep. :rolleyes: sad I know...

Anyway, supposing you earn £33-35/hour (which is about the top end going rate), and you work 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, for 45 weeks a year (yes 7 weeks annual holiday! :smile: ) - works out about £60K, then you need to take off tax, NI and expenses (travelling, etc.)

Before you consider becoming a locum pharmacist though, have a read of this - http://www.pjonline.com/Editorial/20050416/society/statcomm.html#6 - highly amusing :laugh:

That's something to look forward to in 5 years :rolleyes:
Reply 12
One locum that was in lloyds pharmacy on saturday said he earn't £70k working 6/7 days a week. He also mentioned that he only pays £6k tax and £2k NI. I asked him how and he said that he formed a limited company and pays himself wages as dividends.

£60k net is awesome, cant wait for the next 3 years to be over (not really I love uni :smile: )
Cool, thanks for that, sounds like the way to go :smile: Might be able to get my 'company' to invest in a nice expensive company car for me too :smile:

Only 18 months to go and I'll be registered hopefully :biggrin:
Reply 14
kalonation

I have an interest in all of these subjects and would like someone to please give me their opinion on which of these subjects they consider 'better' and why.

I think its,
Pharmacy >Pharmaceutical Science>Biochemistry>Pharmacology
Of the four that you have chosen Pharmacy is definitely 'better', as you can see from the replies; its well paid, varied and generally an intense course. Pharmaceutical next bcos it focuses on drug production, so likely to get work in pharmaceutical companies i.e-gsk
Biochemistry-also varied course BUT isn't as intense as pharmaceutical (as i've been told), and lacks focus...can work anywhere after u graduate.
Pharmacology-is just the study of drugs ...basically with minimal job oppurtunities this degree is for those who purely have interest...and minimal ambition
contempl8
I think its,
Pharmacy >Pharmaceutical Science>Biochemistry>Pharmacology
Of the four that you have chosen Pharmacy is definitely 'better', as you can see from the replies; its well paid, varied and generally an intense course. Pharmaceutical next bcos it focuses on drug production, so likely to get work in pharmaceutical companies i.e-gsk
Biochemistry-also varied course BUT isn't as intense as pharmaceutical (as i've been told), and lacks focus...can work anywhere after u graduate.
Pharmacology-is just the study of drugs ...basically with minimal job oppurtunities this degree is for those who purely have interest...and minimal ambition

So r u sayng Pharmachology is not a very easy-get Job? I'm going to decide to accept a course soon and i dun wanna do the wrong choice. I got unconditional offers for Medical biology, and 2 Pharmachology. Pls give me some ideas
Reply 16

in life generally...?
tanweili87
So r u sayng Pharmachology is not a very easy-get Job? I'm going to decide to accept a course soon and i dun wanna do the wrong choice. I got unconditional offers for Medical biology, and 2 Pharmachology. Pls give me some ideas

whoever said that stuff about pharmacology is talking bolloocks. loads of job opportunities in that.
Reply 18
the biochem courses are very interesting but when you graduate the jobs are limited, those in industry are boring at entry levels, highly competitive to get any hospital jobs. You have to do a PHD (4 more years) and post doc to get to a wage level of about £25k.

yet with pharmacy you do nearly the same stuff and are gareenteed a job! you can go back and do pure research if you want or work in community.

With the bio sciences; there is science jobs (many not great paying) but in truth half the graduates from these classes are never going to work in these fields. they will become accountants, sales reps, teachers, do a second degree, start up a coffee shop.
Reply 19
Pharmacy is specifically for working in Boots Loyds etc. probably 99 percent of people with an Mpharm will be pharmacists. If u get an Mpharm then say go into industry, ur effectively wasting the degree.
With the other 3, u can get into industry.
I'm also kinda stuck on which one to do. How about we discuss each of the 4 in detail so we can help out those who are stuck like me. I know pharmacology is the s tudy of drugs on organisms. Dont mean to sound stupid, but will be studied if one does pharmaceutical sciences or Bio chem?

Latest

Trending

Trending