The Student Room Group

German equivalent of Oxford and Cambridge.

Can anyone shed any light on which are the best Universities in Germany?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Gottingen, Munich and Heidelberg are the best in Germany.
They are not particularly great by world standards and cannot be meaningfully compared to Oxford or Cambridge.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
flugestuge
Gottingen, Munich and Heidelburg are the best in Germany.
They are not particularly great by world standards and cannot be meaningfully compared to Oxford or Cambridge.

I assume you mean Heidelberg. And which one LMU Munich or TU Munich?
Reply 3
danny111
And which one LMU Munich or TU Munich?

LMU.

Why not go to Switzerland instead ?
EPFL, ETHZ and Lausanne are far better than any German university.
German universities are a bit dubious.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Yeah i was going to suggest ETH in Switzerland; definitely the best in europe outside the UK in my opinion. Otherwise, maybe look at ENS in Paris. If you must stay in Germany then i suggest TUM and LMU; but i also quite like Freie Universitat Berlin.
Freiburg is apparently in their 'elite' group as well.
Reply 6
Depends a bit which subjects you're looking at, but most unis already mentioned are up there. However no German uni is comparable to Oxbridge.
Reply 7
flugestuge
LMU.

Why not go to Switzerland instead ?
EPFL, ETHZ and Lausanne are far better than any German university.
German universities are a bit dubious.

That's why German Diplom Engineers are so little regarded in the world right? Wait.

Let me tell you something, my friend at Warwick arguably a top uni, had exchange students from Germany (albeit a top one for his subject), and they said they stuff being done at Warwick was a joke. Just a curiosity.

Also mention Swiss unis without St. Gallen? Shows how little you know. The 3 German ones you mentioned aren't even 'the best'. E.g. Goettingen is not the same it was 100 years ago when it was still centre for maths. In fact there are no universities that are as strong as Oxbridge across the board.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
danny111
That's why German Diplom Engineers are so little regarded in the world right?

They are not in the same class as engineers from MIT, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge or Berkeley.
Sadly, Germany has let its higher education system rot.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
flugestuge

I wouldn't quite put it that way, because that kind of implies that there was something to go to rot in the first place...:erm:
The German university system has always aimed to provide a decent standard across the board, and that's pretty much what it does. So you don't have any universities which are universally regarded as the best or universally regarded as the worst, they're really all just different shades of 'sort of OK'. There's no German equivalent of Oxford or Cambridge, just as there is no German equivalent of TVU or UEL or those other universities which tend to be mocked in GUD.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
flugestuge
They are not in the same class as engineers from MIT, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge or Berkeley.

The last bit is too true.

The prior I do not agree with. And they are certainly better than British engineers on average.

Also what is your point? Since when did we get the USA involved in this?
Reply 11
hobnob
I wouldn't quite put it that way, because that kind of implies that there was something to go to rot in the first place...:erm:
The German university system has always aimed to provide a decent standard across the board, and that's pretty much what it does. So you don't have any universities which are universally regarded as the best or universally regarded as the worst, they're really all just different shades of 'sort of OK'. There's no German equivalent of Oxford or Cambridge, just as there is no German equivalent of TVU or UEL or those other universities which tend to be mocked in GUD.

No he is right.

Before Hitler check out where many of the Nobel winners came from. And after Hitler and the war we were busy building up the country and then just forgot that we had great universities. (Although not oxbridge in the sense that they weren't as good across the board - but that is exactly why they are oxbridge -, but certainly excellent in certain subjects).

Also many people on here are anglo biased. The French for example also have great elite unis that aren't recognised. Many brilliant a 20th century mathematican was French/Belgian for example. And they were trained well at uni.
Reply 12
flugestuge
All the bright German academics went to the USA.
Even now, the Americans and British who get the Nobels are often of German-Jewish and German descent.
It will be many generations before German universities become attractive to top academics.

Still what is your point?

We were talking about the German oxbridge (if it exists or not) and then you say - 'might as well go to swtizerland' and I merely said you are underrating germany and then you started talking about USA all of a sudden.
danny111
Still what is your point?

We were talking about the German oxbridge (if it exists or not) and then you say - 'might as well go to swtizerland'

My point is that for a non-German, it is not worth going to Germany to study. There are far better options around the world.
Even in Europe, German universities are eclipsed by their neighbours.
Reply 14
flugestuge
My point is that for a non-German, it is not worth going to Germany to study. There are far better options around the world.

Does this include postgrad as well as undergrad?
Reply 15
flugestuge

If that is what you think.

Maybe someone would not want to pay for university and as such go to Germany where he would pay little or nothing.

Maybe someone does not care about prestige and just about the education he gets, and the latter whatever you may believe is simply not as bad as you make out.
Oxfard and Cambruck.
Reply 17
Great Lord Xenu
Oxfard and Cambruck.

Is that meant to sound German? :ninja:
The reason German universities aren't ranked as highly as universities in other countries is because the majority of excellent research is done by research institutes, such as the Max Planck institutes. Universities are losing some of their best researchers to these institutes.

So what Germany did to counter this is start the Excellence initiative, which gives more funding to promote research in universities and has distinguished some universities.. There are currently 9 'Universities of Excellence' which are sometimes referred to as elite universities. You could consider them the best universities.
Reply 19
Chewmeister
The reason German universities aren't ranked as highly as universities in other countries is because the majority of excellent research is done by research institutes, such as the Max Planck institutes. Universities are losing some of their best researchers to these institutes.

What hobnob said, and this ^ also.

What do you want to study OP? If you want to do your Master's at the same university, I'd suggest to look for a place that has links with interesting research institutes (for science, Heidelberg and Dresden come to mind (among others)). (Or failing that, does interesting things in their departments.) If it's just for undergraduate study it really doesn't matter, although I have heard good things about some subjects at some unis but it's probably all pretty average compared to Oxbridge/Harvard/MIT etc..
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending