The Student Room Group

Volunteering/Internship/Work Exp. Experiences!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 61
Original post by KayleeLand
I'm having a go at creating a one-stop resource bank for volunteering, internships and work experience. So have a look in here for help getting that placement. It would be great if people who have volunteered or had an internship or work experience placement could share their experience with others.

Below there is a sample format that could be useful to cover the basics. People seem to want to know how to get placements and contact companies, so detailed information here would be appreciated.

If you have any other tips you want to include and don't want to use the format, feel free!

Sample format:

Name –Jessica

Where did you volunteer –GlobalGivingUK

How did you get the placement –Met the CEO - had informal interview a year later

How long was the placement –2.5 months (could have been longer but needed to go back to university)

Outline of duties/responsibilities
1.Supporting the Field Evaluators in their digital communications work - sharing existing material, enablinglearning between volunteers and developing new content across digital channels (website, e-news, social media)
2.Supporting the Field Evaluators in any PR and marketing opportunities including sharing stories with local radio, TV and Broadsheet and pitching stories
3.Providing feedback on editing Audit Reports prepared by Field Evaluators ensuring the highest standards of professionalism
4.Development of the Field Evaluation training matrix and post Audit visit learning for project partners
5.Supporting marketing and outreach initiatives for the Field Evaluation and Grassroots Leadership programmes
6.Increase awareness of the programmes in the wider development sector
7.Contributing to fundraising proposals for the programmes

Website links or information
https://www.globalgiving.co.uk/volunteer/

Anything else

Amazing people! Great experience! Can't get bored, very different every day.
Name - Jacob
Where did you work - Milkround Marketing Department
How did you get the placement - my university (UCL) held networking events and paid for me to do the internship. They give out a set number of these paid placements every Summer.
How long was the placement - 2 months

Duties - social media, PR relations with journalists and university careers services, blogging and coordinating content of guest bloggers, writing Youtube video scripts, setting up promotional events at UCL, paid Facebook advertising campaign, pitching startup idea to UN International Youth conference, pitching infographic ideas, photography and photoshop

This guide really helped me to get the internship and I'd recommend that any job hunters/internship hunters read it!

https://www.talentcupboard.com/guides/ultimate-guide-to-getting-your-dream-job-as-a-graduate
Good morning! I am aware that I do not know you on a personal level, but if you would 2 minutes out of yourday schedule, I would really appreciate it. I have recently been accepted for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to go abroad and help those less fortunate than us. My whole life I have wanted to have this chance and make a difference to peoples lives and the opportunity has finally arisen and my place for the trip was accepted. I would really appreciate any kind of donation as even the smallest of donations would be welcome, it would go towards the charity who is organising the event as well as my plane ticket, and can help hundreds of people. More details are explained in the link. https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/olivia-hookings-1 If not, then please accept my apologies for wasting your time. Have a good weekend. Many thanks
Hey guys not sure if this will help anyone but I have been doing volunteering for past 4 months and thought I would share:
Name Josh

Where did you volunteer British Heart Foundation

How did you get the placement Job Centre

How long was the placement 8 Weeks but carried on.

Outline of duties/responsibilities I was a function tester, so when electricals come in I have to test and make sure they function correctly. The manager trusted me with pricing these items also.

Anything else –If you are a shy person you should definately do it! I was such a shy guy until I started this and now I am a very chatty person. Helps build your confidence up and I had an interview recently, The first interview ive had since I started my volunteering and It made such a difference. Try it!
Name

Where did you volunteer Wildlife Friends Foundation, Thailand

How did you get the placement Through One World 365

How long was the placement 4 weeks

Outline of duties/responsibilities So many each day was different. Collecting food, washing animals, cleaning enclosures, educating local communities, helping conservation efforts etc

Website links or information Internships / Volunteer Programs

Anything else Highly recommend volunteering in Thailand or these types of placements to any looking to gain experience or something different. This won't be like any ordinary intern program!
Little Green Pig

Applied through website

Ongoing

Helping to run creative writing workshops for children and young people

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending