The Student Room Group

A level choices?

Hi,
I soon have to pick which subjects I'm taking at A Level, (I want to study Law at uni) and had thought about:
English Lit
History
German
Government & Politics
Is this combination suitable, and rounded enough etc.?
Also, is Gvt. & Politics well respected, or will it be viewed as a 'soft' subject by the better universities? I've recieved slightly mixed messages on this so far, as some say that it is fine, whereas I've heard that it is sometimes viewed as a 'soft' subject, in the vein of Media/Psychology etc..
Thanks.
Reply 1
Those choices are very good :smile: G&P isn't soft, but it isn't classed as one of the more respected subjects (eg. sciences) but you have 3 respected subjects there anyway :smile:
Don't worry though, you don't have to decide 100% quite yet - I didn't decide until I was 3 days into my first week! (though I advise you decide before that) :P
Reply 2
Well it sounds good to me but i'm no expert. If I was you I would look at what different universities want you to have to get into Law there. I want to do medicine and I dod that and found it very helpful. I think I used the UCAS site?
Reply 3
I think they're very good A levels.
They want to see that you can write good essays, which your subjects would show.

Plus, not many people speak another language nowadays, so German would be very useful.
Reply 4
Yeah those are really good choices, as long as you're not interested in going into the sciences. i almost did gov and pol myself, it sounds really interesting. Before choosing my a levels i did some research and i wasn't quite sure about whether it was respected or not either. I think its like medium. Like its not as respected as history and the sciences and languages etc, but its no where near the likes of media studies etc. and as a fourth option its absolutely fine. You have three very strong subjects including a language, which is always looked upon very highly, so one that is slightly softer (note: not soft, just a bit softer) is absolutely no problem at all. I've done the same, taken three subjects that are seen as very strong and one where i wasn't sure whether it was highly respected or not, but that i completely enjoy (rs) and thats how it should be, Do what you enjoy the most :smile:
They all sound fine. You have four decent subjects. You also have a language in there, which is always useful. Id go ahead with those if i were you.
ib95
Hi,
I soon have to pick which subjects I'm taking at A Level, (I want to study Law at uni) and had thought about:
English Lit
History
German
Government & Politics
Also, is Gvt. & Politics well respected, or will it be viewed as a 'soft' subject by the better universities? I've recieved slightly mixed messages on this so far, as some say that it is fine, whereas I've heard that it is sometimes viewed as a 'soft' subject, in the vein of Media/Psychology etc..
Thanks.

I took these AS levels. :biggrin:
One piece of advice I would give you is don't take English Lit unless you love it and are totally passionate about it. It's very time consuming and unless you really love it there's a chance you could end up hating it before the end of the year.
Personally, I love Government & Politics, it's really interesting. :smile:
Reply 7
ib95
Hi,
English Lit
History
German
Government & Politics
Thanks.

Very good combination. However, if you know you want to study Law at University, then why not substitute Govt. & Politics for Law?
Reply 8
Government & Politics is a massively interesting subject, I found it fascinating.

According to Trinity College Cambridge, it is seen as not as challenging as Maths, History, German, English etc, however, still rather well respected.

The key to G&P is getting very high UMS scores to make up for the fact it probably isn't as challenging, or seen as rigorous (although most of my revision time during A2 was spent on G&P).

Latest