The Student Room Group

How to do an AS English Literature Essay Introduction!

"Compare the ways in which Plath and Hughes write about children. You must include in your response detailed critical discussion of "Morning Song" and one other poem by Plath."

I'm a newbie to AS Level essays (this is my first one) so can someone give me an example of how I would write the introduction? My teacher said I should write it as an argument" - what am I supposed to be argueing against/for? Sorry, I'm still in GCSE mode..

Thanks in advance.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
D0LLxo
"Compare the ways in which Plath and Hughes write about children. You must include in your response detailed critical discussion of "Morning Song" and one other poem by Plath."

I'm a newbie to AS Level essays (this is my first one) so can someone give me an example of how I would write the introduction? My teacher said I should write it as an argument" - what am I supposed to be argueing against/for? Sorry, I'm still in GCSE mode..

Thanks in advance.

What your teacher means when they say write it as an argument, is that you should include a premise in your introduction. If the question asks you to compare the ways in which Plath and Hughes write about children, then you should naturally conclude something about the way in which both of these write about children; logically, because the question asks you to compare them then it is more likely that they either differ a lot or they are quite similar, which makes it easier.

A premise might be something like:

In Poem 1 (19xx) and Poem 2 (19xx), it is clear that Ted Hughes and Slyvia Plath have different views of children; the former thinks they are smelly cretins and the latter thinks they are a joy to behold.

I hope this helps.
Reply 2
In your introduction you will highlight the argument. As in you will say what both people say about Children, and then you will indicate the direction of your essay and summarise the main points of your argument (that will later become the topic sentances of your main paragraphs) You should also Juxtapose 2 critics views on the matter, and add in any contextual points if it seems relevant!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Athelstan
In your introduction you will highlight the argument. As in you will say what both people say about Children, and then you will indicate the direction of your essay and summarise the main points of your argument (that will later become the topic sentances of your main paragraphs) You should also Juxtapose 2 critics views on the matter, and add in any contextual points if it seems relevant!

im sorry but i still dont understand. My question is about Great Gatsby and it says : Nick Carrawayis too deeply involved in events and relationships to be a reliable narrator. Discuss this view of the Great GAtsby to iluminate your understanding.
an example would help plus explain too.
Reply 4
Say 'In the mysterious novel 'Great Gatsby' Nick proves he is involved in events....however he also (say something that proves he is reliable) then you're giving 2 points, one for him being reliable and one against him being reliable, that's an argument.
Original post by D0LLxo

Thanks in advance.

Is this for AS WJEC English Literature???

If so, what are the texts you're studying for coursework?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending