The Student Room Group

Which of these would have the highest boiling point? I am very confused:(

Been mulling over this for half an hour and I still can't decide, I need to write the compound with the highest and the compound with the lowest boiling point - they're all hydrocarbons, and I know that it depends on how many carbons are in the chain and how many branches it has, but by carbons in the chain does it mean 5 in pentane even if it has 2 methyl groups? or does this mean it has a 7 carbon chain?

Here's what I have
- 2,2 - Dimethylhexane
- 1,1,2,2, tetramethylbutane
- 2,3,3 - trimethylpentane
- 4 - Methylseptane (has 7 in longest full chain I guessed it would be called sept so might be wrong)

Any help would be gratefully appreciated :smile:

Thanks,

:eek3:
penumbra973
Been mulling over this for half an hour and I still can't decide, I need to write the compound with the highest and the compound with the lowest boiling point - they're all hydrocarbons, and I know that it depends on how many carbons are in the chain and how many branches it has, but by carbons in the chain does it mean 5 in pentane even if it has 2 methyl groups? or does this mean it has a 7 carbon chain?

Here's what I have
- 2,2 - Dimethylhexane
- 1,1,2,2, tetramethylbutane
- 2,3,3 - trimethylpentane
- 4 - Methylseptane (has 7 in longest full chain I guessed it would be called sept so might be wrong)

Any help would be gratefully appreciated :smile:

Thanks,

:eek3:

The strength of intermolecular bonding decreases as the degree of branching increases.

It's a surface to volume ratio effect.

.. and it's 4-methylheptane
Reply 2
"Carbon chain" refers to the longest chain of carbon atoms in the molecule.

So 2,2,-dimethylhexane means that the longest carbon chain has 6 carbons (hexane) with two methyl groups both attached to the second carbon atom in the longest carbon chain. The molecule will have 8 carbon atoms altogether.

Also, for 7 atoms the number is "hept", so for your fourth molecule it is 4-methylheptane and not 4-methylseptane.

The one with the highest boiling point will most likely be 1,1,2,2,-tetramethylbutane. The one with the lowest b.p. will most likely be 4-methylheptane. (Though they are close calls)
Mr Mystery
"Carbon chain" refers to the longest chain of carbon atoms in the molecule.

So 2,2,-dimethylhexane means that the longest carbon chain has 6 carbons (hexane) with two methyl groups both attached to the second carbon atom in the longest carbon chain. The molecule will have 8 carbon atoms altogether.

Also, for 7 atoms the number is "hept", so for your fourth molecule it is 4-methylheptane and not 4-methylseptane.

The one with the highest boiling point will most likely be 1,1,2,2,-tetramethylbutane. The one with the lowest b.p. will most likely be 4-methylheptane. (Though they are close calls)

All molecules have eight carbons...

You are incorrect. If you read my post above you will see why...
Reply 4
charco
All molecules have eight carbons...

You are incorrect. If you read my post above you will see why...

I apologise, i got them mixed up. As the number of branches in the chain increases, boiling point decreases. So...

highest b.p. = 4-methylheptane
lowest b.p. = 1,1,2,2-tetramethylbutane

Latest