The Student Room Group

Partially sighted - apply for DSA?

I'm partially sighted - I'm almost blind in my left eye and wear contacts/glasses to help correct my vision in the other (they do nothing for my 'broken eye').

I know i'd need a reference from the doctor, but would it be worth applying for DSA? Would it count as a worthy disability?

Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question.

Also - If I am applying, when should I? On my UCAS form I specified that i'm mostly blind in my left eye, so would they take care of the forms or do I need to send for them separately?
Lastly - would it be better getting a medical reference note from the doctor or optician?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
Reply 1
If you can prove that your disability inhibits your education, then you can get money to help pay for ways to help yourself. If you need handouts printed mega big you can get some money to do that.
Are you registered as partially sighted? If not getting registered would help your case greatly.
Reply 3
isnt everyone partially sighted? no one can see everything
Reply 4
scotttb
isnt everyone partially sighted? no one can see everything

Deeeeeeeeeep :yep:

But not helpful :nope:

Anyway OP, I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) when you declare a disability on your UCAS form this is monitored and DSA forms are sent later in the year. This is how it used to work.

There's no harm in obtaining the forms yourself as they are online. But you have a few months to go yet. It can take a number of weeks from your Needs Assessment to obtaining the equipment and support you need - up to three months I think - so do keep this in mind when applying.

I think your medical evidence can come from a GP or optician. Usually GP's evidence is sufficient. The only exception is certain learning disabilities like dyslexia when the psychological report is required.
Reply 5
River85
Deeeeeeeeeep :yep:

But not helpful :nope:

Anyway OP, I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) when you declare a disability on your UCAS form this is monitored and DSA forms are sent later in the year. This is how it used to work.

There's no harm in obtaining the forms yourself as they are online. But you have a few months to go yet. It can take a number of weeks from your Needs Assessment to obtaining the equipment and support you need - up to three months I think - so do keep this in mind when applying.

I think your medical evidence can come from a GP or optician. Usually GP's evidence is sufficient. The only exception is certain learning disabilities like dyslexia when the psychological report is required.

Alright, I didn't want to apply too early either. ;P Thanks.
I'll just see how it goes and fill out the forms, it doesn't affect my education much, but a laptop would be very very helpful as I don't have one.
Reply 6
My left eyes also really weak what are you putting down as your disability? I haven't put anything down yet and my UCAS form is almost ready to send off.
Reply 7
Right just took a look at UCAS im guessing your going to coose this
'You are blind or have a serious visual impairment uncorrected by glasses'
I don't think I'll bother I wouldn't say my visual imparement is serious, but if you want to go for it you should.
Reply 8
04ayasin
Right just took a look at UCAS im guessing your going to coose this
'You are blind or have a serious visual impairment uncorrected by glasses'
I don't think I'll bother I wouldn't say my visual imparement is serious, but if you want to go for it you should.

Yeah I picked that one and said that i'm mostly blind in my left eye in the info box. I'll just have to see how it goes from there then.
It isn't too late though if you decide to go for it afterwards

Latest