The Student Room Group

HELP: Oxford Human Sciences, Medicine, Gap Year

Hi all,

Alright so I did my UKCAT today and I completely fluffed it up as I didn't spend enough time revising anddddd I have food poisoning. So as you can imagine hopping in and out of the exam room constantly isn't very productive.

I applied for Human Sciences and Medicine, and although I am deeply interested in medical aspects the former is my first choice. I know for a fact that I will not get into the Med schools I applied to - due to my atrocious UKCAT performance - which leaves me with Human Sciences (better I suppose considering I think an interdisciplinary subject is a good foundation for a scientific career).

My main HumSci choice is Oxford and considering today's circumstances I'm feeling rather dismal. Oxford has been my goal since primary school and at the moment rejection is my default so as not to make an actual rejection as upsetting.

I think if I get rejected from Oxford I'll take a gap year but I'm really not sure what to do. My parents want me to do further Chemistry as they're keen on Med but I'm still trying to figure out what I really want to do (I know I want to do something science-y) and I don't know how I'll do that during a gap.

If I were to think optimistically and say well maybe I might get an interview for Oxford, how do you suggest I "prepare". Preparing sounds really silly considering I'm already interested in the subject, but at the moment any advice will do. Also, the faculty says that you are allowed to submit a 100-word personal statement explaining why you would like to do Human Sciences. With all honestly I'm not really sure where to start.

Thanks so much and for anyone who couldn't really understand what I was on about (yes I'm having a bad day) then here:

- Human Sciences at Oxford first choice, how do I go about an interview in the best way possible? And how do I make my 100-word HumSci personal statement appealing?

- If I don't get into Oxford and if I'm considering Human Sciences and perhaps Medicine next year what should I do during a gap year?
(edited 13 years ago)
Athena
:hello:

Hum Sci person for you :smile:
Reply 2
Athena
All I can say is that:

You won't know how you did on the UKCAT until you get your results
Some HumScis go on to do GEM, so that's always an option, and you can tell admissions tutors you want a holistic view of humans as social beings before you go on to study medicine
You'll probably (pretty good chance, if you're predicted AAA or better) get an interview, and a lot will rest on that.

She gets her UKCAT grade straight after the exam.
Reply 3
Athena
All I can say is that:

You won't know how you did on the UKCAT until you get your results
Some HumScis go on to do GEM, so that's always an option, and you can tell admissions tutors you want a holistic view of humans as social beings before you go on to study medicine
You'll probably (pretty good chance, if you're predicted AAA or better) get an interview, and a lot will rest on that.

Thank you. Oxford's basically my only hope now but to be honest I'd much rather get rejected from all the med unis so long as I have Human Sciences. At least it's reassuring that other HumSci applicants are interested in other subjects because I'm afraid my PS is too medically-orientated.

Latest

Trending

Trending