The Student Room Group

Which way, which way! Help!!

I'm 22 and studying in my 2nd year of Travel & Toursim National Diploma at college.
We have recently registered with UCAS to apply to unis, but I'm really stuck about what direction to take and I have 2 choices in mind.

3/4-year Japanese Studies BA degree course (something I've had in mind for about a year - I love the language but I'm a little worried about remembering the 2000 kanji alphabet symbols. I would become £18,000+ in debt by the end of it.

2-year Hospitality Studies Foundation degree course (only came up as an idea a week ago, but sounds good), and study Japanese on the side in evening classes. I would be £5000 in debt afterwards.

I get the impression that a foundation degree is not a full degree and it's usually expected to do a top-up afterwards, but due to the fact that I'm already 22, I would not wish to continue with education and I want to get a job with excellent prospects.
What needs to be taken into consideration is my age, finances, and future. I'm really stuck with what option to take.

In your opinion, what do you think would be the better choice? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Firstly, 22 is young! I'm 25 and will be starting a law degree next year (when i'm 26) and it'll take me 5-6 years to qualify. There are people on my access course who are in their 30's and 40's as well who are going for full degrees next year. Don't worry about your age!

I'd probably go for the full degree option. It'll give you better prospects for the future than a foundation degree and the majority of the debt you'll be in will be from student finance, which you only pay back out of your salary as a percentage of your income over £15k.

It also sounds like a lot more fun to me!
Reply 2
Japanese.

You sound like that is what you really want to do, and Japanese would be a really good degree to have. Hospitality just seems like an afterthought for you, and I wouldn't recommend evening classes.

A foundation degree is just that, it is a foundation to go onto a 'real' (i.e. Bachelors) degree, which would be the same amount as the Japanese degree anyway (£18k), so you'd be in £23k debt, and it would take 5/6 years.
Reply 3
Go for the BA option. I am currently in the second year of my access course and will be applying to do a 4yr Joint Honours degree of English/Japanese at University of Leeds starting in 2011. I have around 6 months of Japanese self study under my belt though as I wanted to increase my chances of getting an offer.

If you have any spare time I would look into trying to learn the Hiragana/Katakana and Kanji as much as you can :smile:

Where are you thinking of applying to?
I really would like to get into Sheffield uni as they concentrate on the Japanese language and culture.

Latest

Trending

Trending