The Student Room Group

Support Worker - anyone???

I am applying for a part time place as a support worker, I know it involves alot of domestic work and cleaning/hygeine work besides supporting them.
It says on the application form - do you own a car, do you have a full driving license etc... I assume that this means you have to have a car for this job? I dont have a car anymore, but I do have a full license. To those who have worked as a support worker, did you need a car? Also is it a good experience, or am I wasting my time?? The money is quite good, £6 an hour, although as part time you have to work 16 hours, which may interfere with my studies????

I would love to hear from those who have worked as a support worker, cos I want to know about the places you worked and more info about it. Especially those who have worked as a support worker in Greater Manchester.

Let me know, thank you.

Love BlueAngel xxx
Reply 1
Hi,
Some Support Worker jobs do require you to have your own car, others don't. Some places have their own car which employees can all drive - so having a driving licence certainly helps. For other posts, you would be based entirely in one unit so there would be no need for you to own a car (providing you can get to and from work ok). The best thing to do would be to call them up and ask.
Regarding the job in general - it can be very useful as a stepping stone if you want to become a clinical psychologist. It would give you the experience of working with people with mental health problems and would make it easier for you to get an assistant psychologist job once you graduated.
I would expect that it would also be relevant for other types of health/care jobs out there.

I haven't been a support worker myself but know of friends who have and they found it really rewarding.
Reply 2
There's a link here which might be of use. It gives more information about the support worker role.

http://www.lgcareers.com/careers/profile.asp?163
funky.clio
Hi,
Some Support Worker jobs do require you to have your own car, others don't. Some places have their own car which employees can all drive - so having a driving licence certainly helps. For other posts, you would be based entirely in one unit so there would be no need for you to own a car (providing you can get to and from work ok). The best thing to do would be to call them up and ask.
Regarding the job in general - it can be very useful as a stepping stone if you want to become a clinical psychologist. It would give you the experience of working with people with mental health problems and would make it easier for you to get an assistant psychologist job once you graduated.
I would expect that it would also be relevant for other types of health/care jobs out there.

I haven't been a support worker myself but know of friends who have and they found it really rewarding.

Oh thanks, thats exactly what I wanna do, become a clinical psychologist.
Reply 4
That's a great choice for a career - I was thinking about it myself at one point but now I've decided I'd rather be a forensic psych.

A good website for would-be clinical psychologists is www.psyclick.org.uk - check it out. It's got lots of information about how to get on the training course and has a forum where you can ask any questions.

Latest