The Student Room Group

How to educate yourself

I need some directing! My general knowledge is shocking, I want to educate myself but I get intimidated by all the stuff out there is to be learned. I don't know where to start.

What's the fastest, most efficient way to become more cultured?

I guess what I'm asking for really are the best resources in each of these categories...

1. Websites
2. Podcasts
3. YouTube Channels
4. Tv Programmes
5. Books

Thanks for any suggestions/help. Appreciate it :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Books for me because I'm not actively searching for it, I just pick up nuggets of wisdom.
Reply 2
Read the Guardian, every time you come across a term, name, product etc etc. you're not familiar with, research it on Wikipedia, Encyclopaedia Brittanica and just try to absorb as much as you can. Good luck. :smile:
Everything but podcasts!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
FMFChris
Read the Guardian, every time you come across a term, name, product etc etc. you're not familiar with, research it on Wikipedia, Encyclopaedia Brittanica and just try to absorb as much as you can. Good luck. :smile:

inkme
I need some directing! My general knowledge is shocking, I want to educate myself but I get intimidated by all the stuff out there is to be learned. I don't know where to start.

What's the fastest, most efficient way to become more cultured?

I guess what I'm asking for really are the best resources...

1. Websites
2. Podcasts
3. YouTube Channels
4. Tv Programmes
5. Books

Thanks for any suggestions/help. Appreciate it :smile:

1. Dictionary
2. Thesaurus
3. Library
4. Textbooks
Reply 6
boromir9111
Everything but podcasts!

Don't knock it mate, there's a lot of really good (and free) educational content on iTunes. From BBC history of the world to Lectures from Yale!

Edutainment is the way forward! :smile:
Reply 7
Wiki :yep:
Reply 8
Try the Stuff You Missed in History Class podcast.
Reply 9
im so academic
1. Dictionary
2. Thesaurus
3. Library
4. Textbooks

I meant to say that I am looking for specific resources, in each category.
Reply 10
Anything that intrigues you, look it up immediately on the internet or other resources. I seriously spent days just reading stuff on Wikipedia.
Reply 11
Nizzay!
Anything that intrigues you, look it up immediately on the internet or other resources. I seriously spent days just reading stuff on Wikipedia.

There is definitely something addictive about the wiki world!!!
I just read about random stuff on the internet. :dontknow:
Google is a good place to start.
Reply 13
Watch those trivia-based game shows. Learning from other peoples' mistakes works great.
Reply 14
Thanks guys.

Any other suggestions out there?
History Channel ftw.
Reply 16
Thanks for your suggestions
Reply 17
Read and read and read. All different types of books.

Latest

Trending

Trending