The Student Room Group

adult nursing nottingham

Hi im planning on applying to do nursing at nottingham for the september 2011 entry, im doing a2 now and want to start the diploma and transfer over to the degree in the 3rd year, i just want to know what the course will be like and whether i have a good chance of getting an offer and acceptance if i have:
- volunteering experience in a hospital
- a-levels
- a good personal statement.

Thanks!

:smile:
My friend is doing it currently. She didn't have A levels but did have extensive experience and a lovely personal statement - she was just BORN to be a nurse lol. I would say as long as you show your enthusiasm, have a good personal statement and some experience you'll be ok. You don't need A levels, after all. Will you be going for the Nottingham centre or one of the others? My friend was actually at Lincoln and hated it, and has since moved over to Boston&Grantham centre. She is on placement quite a lot and does enjoy it but she said it literally takes up all her time, she hasn't got much time for a social life.

Oh, and another friend is at Lincoln centre doing mental health nursing - her words are "hard work, but enjoyable".
(edited 13 years ago)
Oh I'm at nottingham, i'll probably not be there when you start though *hyperventilates*

Good call on the diploma switching to degree, one piece of advice, what about applying for the Mnursci AND the diploma as a back up? From experience if you have a-levels you'll be very much ahead as opposed to your colleagues in your year and I myself and others have now and again found it frustrating as the majority of our cohort are still catching up with study skills and learning, where as coming straight from school it's inbuilt within you. With the Mnursci you get normal holidays, ok its an extra year but it's probably the more appropiate course for an a-level student. Just don't go round thinking you're better though, it's just a different way of learning- but more appropiate for the school leaver.

Work experience: nesesscity, they're using waiting lists this year and those put on them are those without experience
PS: Make good, they will have it in your interview and scrutinise every bit.
Grades: Ensure you get good grades CCC+ is acceptable, but don't use it as an excuse to work hard, it will pay off.

I've really enjoyed my time here, it's a lovely area to work in and the hospitals are fab with a variety of specialties to get your teeth stuck in. The lecturers/tutors are also supportive and understanding and like to hear student feedback. As for the social side the Nurses and Midwives association reguarly puts on socials, has sports teams and does charity events weekly so you have a good chance of getting out.
inksplodge
My friend is doing it currently. She didn't have A levels but did have extensive experience and a lovely personal statement - she was just BORN to be a nurse lol. I would say as long as you show your enthusiasm, have a good personal statement and some experience you'll be ok. You don't need A levels, after all. Will you be going for the Nottingham centre or one of the others? My friend was actually at Lincoln and hated it, and has since moved over to Boston&Grantham centre. She is on placement quite a lot and does enjoy it but she said it literally takes up all her time, she hasn't got much time for a social life.

Oh, and another friend is at Lincoln centre doing mental health nursing - her words are "hard work, but enjoyable".

I respect you wanted to respond to the thread, but I think it's rather uncalled for to comment on a course, and also give bad and incorrect advice (such as you don't need a-levels) based on friends experiences really. As much as I'd understand you'd be slightly irritated if i commented on an english literature degree based on what my cousin told me...
Subcutaneous
I respect you wanted to respond to the thread, but I think it's rather uncalled for to comment on a course, and also give bad and incorrect advice (such as you don't need a-levels) based on friends experiences really. As much as I'd understand you'd be slightly irritated if i commented on an english literature degree based on what my cousin told me...

But you don't need A levels for the diploma, it clearly says you need a minimum of 5 A-C GCSEs... One friend has A levels, the other doesn't (but had lots of experience), so it is obviously down to the admissions and how much they like the person? But, I understand where you're coming from - you have first hand experience :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Subcutaneous
Oh I'm at nottingham, i'll probably not be there when you start though *hyperventilates*

Good call on the diploma switching to degree, one piece of advice, what about applying for the Mnursci AND the diploma as a back up? From experience if you have a-levels you'll be very much ahead as opposed to your colleagues in your year and I myself and others have now and again found it frustrating as the majority of our cohort are still catching up with study skills and learning, where as coming straight from school it's inbuilt within you. With the Mnursci you get normal holidays, ok its an extra year but it's probably the more appropiate course for an a-level student. Just don't go round thinking you're better though, it's just a different way of learning- but more appropiate for the school leaver.

Work experience: nesesscity, they're using waiting lists this year and those put on them are those without experience
Grades: Ensure you get good grades CCC+ is acceptable, but don't use it as an excuse to work hard, it will pay off.

I've really enjoyed my time here, it's a lovely area to work in and the hospitals are fab with a variety of specialties to get your teeth stuck in. The lecturers/tutors are also supportive and understanding and like to hear student feedback. As for the social side the Nurses and Midwives association reguarly puts on socials, has sports teams and does charity events weekly so you have a good chance of getting out.

hey i would have applied for the Mnursci however i havent done a level biology so my application will just be rejected right? :confused: i so im pretty much stuck with the diploma to the bsc route, i am planning to be on site at nottingham im also going to apply for coventry, Northampton, lincoln and demonfort all straight BSC's, ive only done core science GCSE at a C grade so my science needs brushing up quite a bit...:yep:

is it okay if you give me a bit of an idea on what ill be studying and how it is since your there? :smile: oh ive chosen adult as i heard that child is harder to get work into is that right?

if i do recieve an offer will it be unconditional as i already have the gcse grades? im predicted ABB at a level and got a D in my as
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
inksplodge

hey thanks for the info ill be at the nottingham site :smile:, my personal statement is almost done just my refreence need writing then my application should be sent!
Reply 7
Original post by Subcutaneous

heyyy, thanks for this, its really helpful cos im applying for adult nursing at the minute! Just waiting on my tutor to hurry up and write his statement and it should be all done soon... i just have a question regarding experience. I have volunteer experience in romania, community-based projects and st johns ambulance, but no hospital experience as i couldnt get any at all... will this really affect my application do you think? xx
Reply 8
Original post by Jordenfruitbat
Hi im planning on applying to do nursing at nottingham for the september 2011 entry, im doing a2 now and want to start the diploma and transfer over to the degree in the 3rd year, i just want to know what the course will be like and whether i have a good chance of getting an offer and acceptance if i have:
- volunteering experience in a hospital
- a-levels
- a good personal statement.

Thanks!

:smile:

hey, I've just sent my application off for the same thing. Firstly, have you got about 100 hours work experience in a health or social care setting?
Honestly, from what I've read you should apply for the degree :smile:
You will deffo get an offer (well, as long as you have your 5 GCSEs above a C). I can't say what the course is like, but hopefully it will be really good.
Reply 9
Original post by HEJ92
hey, I've just sent my application off for the same thing. Firstly, have you got about 100 hours work experience in a health or social care setting?
You will deffo get an offer (well, as long as you have your 5 GCSEs above a C). I can't say what the course is like, but hopefully it will be really good.

hey I would have loved to apply for the degree but i havent done a level biology i cant :frown: , and I have less than 100 hours but im getting there :smile: ive sent off my application now so too late to change anything!

I have applied for the degree at some other unis though that dont ask for a level biology :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Jordenfruitbat
hey I would have loved to apply for the degree but i havent done a level biology i cant :frown: , and I have less than 100 hours but im getting there :smile: ive sent off my application now so too late to change anything!

I have applied for the degree at some other unis though that dont ask for a level biology :biggrin:

Lol, well good luck :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by HEJ92

Is it vital to have 100 hours? Do they ask for that?
Original post by 19music4
Is it vital to have 100 hours? Do they ask for that?

I dont think youll deffinately need 100 hours just enough to show a good understand of the role id apply anyway :wink: Good luck aswell!

Tell me how it goes.
Original post by HEJ92
Lol, well good luck :smile:

you too! post back here if you get an offer or something :wink:
You don't need 100 hours of healthcare experience...really!

Although I should point out- experience is vital, and you need to apply experience to your understanding of the role of a nurse!

Latest