The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The Next Left
British workers are more efficient and productive and generally of better health. The cost per unit of production is actually quite similar.

They're not more efficient when they constantly have strikes moaning about their pay, are they?
future_hopeful_uk
They're not more efficient when they constantly have strikes moaning about their pay, are they?

Don't be stupid. Because of so much media attention people think there are way more strikes than there actually are. I can count about 5 I know of in the past year. Hardly ground-breaking. Besides, why do people automatically think strikes are bad? It's people trying to protect their living standards, which by the way are crap for cheaply paid Chinese labour.
Reply 62
Teveth
You better have some solid evidence for your potentially libellous claim...

Youve been asked so many times to prove the Eienstien Quote and there is no record of it eve being said.
The Next Left
Besides, why do people automatically think strikes are bad?

Its not people who pay the wages, its businesses.
(edited 13 years ago)
The Next Left
Besides, why do people automatically think strikes are bad?

People who see employment more clearly: as a regular trade in the marketplace rather than some kind of modern serfdom. If one side can arbitrarily go back on their contractual agreements it is more difficult for the other to plan for the future, and they will usually be unfairly disadvantaged in the trade.
(edited 13 years ago)
Collingwood
People who see employment more clearly: as a regular trade in the marketplace rather than some kind of modern serfdom. If one side can arbitrarily go back on their contractual agreements it is more difficult for the other to plan for the future, and they will usually be unfairly disadvantaged in the trade.

If we let the let the labour market run freely we would have people scraping by on a few quid an hour. Thats why we need unions and thats why it needs some regulation.
The Next Left
If we let the let the labour market run freely we would have people scraping by on a few quid an hour.

Some people. Mostly people who are presently unemployed.

Thats why we need unions and thats why it needs some regulation.

Wages track productivity on the market. Like all other goods, the price of labour approximates the value:

Unions raise the price above the value (or try to). This results in reduced demand, ie. unemployment.
(edited 13 years ago)
The Next Left
If we let the let the labour market run freely we would have people scraping by on a few quid an hour

and why do you think these people who would be scraping by on a few quid arent engineers, or doctors, or lawyers, or bankers?
future_hopeful_uk
and why do you think these people who would be scraping by on a few quid arent engineers, or doctors, or lawyers, or bankers?

You are literally too stupid to talk to. Why do you always pop-up with random crap that's unrelated and makes no sense?
Collingwood
Some people. Mostly people who are presently unemployed.

Wages track productivity on the market. Like all other goods, the price of labour approximates the value:

Unions raise the price above the value (or try to). This results in reduced demand, ie. unemployment.

I suppose.

It depends on what you'd rather have as a government. In this situation you could have a load of people scraping by which would increase strain on public money.

That's why I like Ed Milibands interpretation of the living wage. Offering firms tax incentives to pay people a livable wage. This way firms costs aren't increasing massively and so don't have to hike up their prices.
The Next Left
I suppose.

It depends on what you'd rather have as a government. In this situation you could have a load of people scraping by which would increase strain on public money.

atm the people who would be scraping by live on benefits.

That's why I like Ed Milibands interpretation of the living wage.

Increase minimum wage still further, thereby increasing unemployment still further.

Offering firms tax incentives to pay people a livable wage. This way firms costs aren't increasing massively and so don't have to hike up their prices.

ofc, if the govt is just giving back the money it's stealing I'm fine with that. But why go round-about with rebates and things to companies with all the intrusive bureaucrazy to prevent fraud, when we could just abolish the income tax?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 71
Mick.w
their incentive would be to work off their debt before they die and pass the debt on to their children.

but i doubt it'd get that far. collectively they make an obscene amount of money. id say it wouldnt be more then 10 years for them to pay it off.
That's not really how debt works. The point is they wouldn't make an obscene amount of money if it was all taxed away, they'd sit at home on benefits. Perhaps there's a lesson here...

Anyway, can't be ******, night.

Latest

Trending

Trending