The Student Room Group

Internet Safety

Hi,

I'm Nicholas a mature student in Scotland with two young boys aged 8 and 10 currently studying for a degree in enterprise.

I was concerned about what my kids are doing online and you hear all this stuff about paedopophiles meeting kids after meeting online etc. this concerned me so I went on the hunt for a bebo or myspace that was safe (if such a thing existed) and I found this dizeo thing. I pay £6.99 a month and they say my kids are safe and that everything the kids do is watched which I kind of like the idea of.

I also found education city and some other ones but the weren't to like bebo or facebook.

ANyway just wanted to see what people thought of this and if its worth it?? or any alternatives out there?

Thanks!!!!:biggrin:
Reply 1
Learn to trust your kids.

Yes the internet is unsafe but if you raised them correctly then they won't talk to weird strangers and why does a 8 year old need facebook or bebo?
No because they won't use it as none of their friends will be daft enough to pay. Just supervise them.
Reply 3
I too have gone back to school and have early teen kids. They're all over the place on the Internet, and as much as I talk with them, guide them, set Internet use rules...I just can't always be watching what they are doing, or honestly, completely trusting them with their curious nature and the no-boundaries nature of the Internet.

So I'm taking an approach that is perhaps a mix. Continue to talk to them, teach them...continue to allow them the benefits that Internet access and even exploration bring to them, but having a little more visibility to their activity with the help of an inexpensive PC / Internet activity monitoring tool called Family Cyber Alert - I'm sure there are others. It essentially logs their activity, so maybe a couple times a week I'll quick check the program to see what they've been up to.

I don't plan to use it to snoop on details of what they're doing, private conversation, but more just scanning their activity for possible red flags - things I'm not at all familiar with that I can research, talk with them about, and ultimately either set some rules specific to any new sites and/or guide them a bit more regarding smart and safe internet use.

I feel better knowing what they're into (as well as what they're not getting into), and I'm more informed to have more meaningful dialog with them. Maybe not for everyone, but it works for me.

Latest

Trending

Trending