The Student Room Group

Is Weighing 23 Stone okay?

im 6'8 and apparantley I wiegh about 23.5 stone, im only 21, and I also have depression, partly because I am fat, or is it that I eat because im depressed, idk, its hard to know at this stage really.

anyway, im wondering if this is actually dangerous for my health? I havent been ill really for ages, even then I dont remember ever being ill directly because I was overwieght...

should I be worried and start losing weight now? is that even possible? I have tried diets, meds, even doing exercise, none of them work for me, diets I cant stick too, because I get too hungry, meds im told are even more dangerous to my health potentially and exercise I cant do much of because I dont have the energy to do so

help? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If its not muscle mass then no its not ok as your putting a massive strain on your heart and will suffer for it in a few years.

You don't have the energy becuase your fat, anyone can loose weight with diet and excercise you're basically to weak willed to do it.

man up and get it done tubs!
Reply 2
If your unhappy then lose it?
MattGriff
If its not muscle mass then no its not ok as your putting a massive strain on your heart and will suffer for it in a few years.

You don't have the energy becuase your fat, anyone can loose weight with diet and excercise you're basically to weak willed to do it.

man up and get it done tubs!

That woman in your sig... :coma:

What an arse. :sogood:
Reply 4
your gunna die young
Reply 5
How is it possible that dieting and exercise don't work? Are you sure you aren't telling porkies?
(edited 13 years ago)
Being 23 stone is not okay.

Do your health & your wellbeing a favour and start trying to lose some weight. You'll feel mentally & physically better I assure you.
(edited 13 years ago)
If it's not muscle bulk, then yes it will be having a negative impact on your health.

You need to look at your diet (not just calories, but what you are actually eating) and start building regular exercise into your schedule - build up your exercise gradually.

What do you eat in a typical day?
Think about the poor bastards who are gonna have to carry your coffin if you drop dead from being so fat any time soon. This is what is motivating me to lose weight (I'm 21 stone but I'm a foot shorter than you - quite muscly, but with a LOT of added flab due to alcohol and takeaways) at present.
Reply 9
No.
it's totally fine, like, if you're two people.
It'll incease your risk of cardiac failure later in life, but you probably won't experience any negative effects in the next few years so you've got time to lose the weight at a leisurely pace. There's plenty of middle-aged people in the world who are much heavier than you so I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

The older you are, the harder it is to lose weight though .... so get it done now!
Reply 12
Your BMI is like 36.6

Healthy range is 18 - 25

You are medically obese

You need to be at most 16 stone 5 to be a healthy weight for your height

Edit: I doubt you have enough muscle to account for that, based on your comment that you've 'even tried exercise'

:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes. It is affecting your health.

Dieting + Exercise = Healthy life :smile:

I know. I am living through this.
Very much obese.
Luckily you're quite tall, so it's okay for you to weight a bit more than other people, but not that much. Just try changing little bits of your diet, and do a little bit more exercise than you do now. You would be a lot healthier if you lost the weight, so you might as well make a start on it now.
Reply 16
yeh perfectly acceptable
Reply 17
hutchyz
Your BMI is like 36.6

Healthy range is 18 - 25

You are medically obese

Regardless of muscle.

So you're saying a 6'6 professional rugby player who weights 18 stone is unhealthy, despite being incredibly fit? Muscle does factor into it!
Anonymous
im 6'8 and apparantley I wiegh about 23.5 stone, im only 21, and I also have depression, partly because I am fat, or is it that I eat because im depressed, idk, its hard to know at this stage really.

anyway, im wondering if this is actually dangerous for my health? I havent been ill really for ages, even then I dont remember ever being ill directly because I was overwieght...

should I be worried and start losing weight now? is that even possible? I have tried diets, meds, even doing exercise, none of them work for me, diets I cant stick too, because I get too hungry, meds im told are even more dangerous to my health potentially and exercise I cant do much of because I dont have the energy to do so

help? :frown:

Get to the gym now.
At that height you could be a walking brick wall, so make the most of what you have.
Reply 19
hutchyz
Your BMI is like 36.6

Healthy range is 18 - 25

You are medically obese

Regardless of muscle.

Total rubbish!!!!

Doctors certify that BMI is irrelevant for atheletes, every superfit rugby player would be medically obease yet all much healthier and fitter than the average person.

Quick Reply

Latest