The Student Room Group

Cambridge and Predicted Grades

Hi

This is the situation. Alot happened during AS and due to the school messing up the coursework for everyone doing science, by grade from Physics went from a B to a C. I was not happy and was preparing to move sixth forms. However, my head master told me and my mum that because of this, they were prepared to give me an AAA prediction minimum and write in my reference that there was a mistake. So I decided to apply to uni this year and stay at the sixth form.

This is the problem. When I got my prediction this week, I found out that I got an A*AB, and I wasn't happy as everything that was told to me wasn't fulfilled.

Now I spoke to my physics teacher that gave me the prediction and he said that he would change it to an A as long as I get an A for this weeks test. However, my head of sixth form is basically refusing to change it. I tried to go to my headmaster, but so far slow progress.

Now I'm applying to cambridge, but what is there approach to predicted grades. If I don't have the predicted grades (ie A*AA) would I not get an interview? And for two of my other unis, both that are asking for AAA, is there any point in applying?

He tried to use the excuse of how people were getting all there predictions based on their AS grades and GCSE grades. However, I know people who got worse AS grades but are being predicted A's for does subjects.

There is a meeting about me and the ucas application with the headmaster, my private tutor (he used to me a uni admissions tutor) and my dad. So hopefully it can change. But if it doesn't, what can I do? I'm so scared and confused right now. :frown: :frown: :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lol our college is nice. They will change it if they know your capable : )

Well... Basically, I'm guessing you'd get an interview anyways.

Overall I want to ask and I'm sure at Cambridge they'd ask "Why did you drop to a C?" or "why did you get a B in the first place?"

I were predicted all B's because of my GCSE's... But now I'm predicted A*AAA, but I'm not going to ask for any changes. I'm going to get an interview hopefully, and I'm aiming for A*A*A*A* in the summer anyways.

Are you doing 3 subjects or 4? Did you drop one? If you dropped one, what and why did you drop it? :O

It's not suprising that people drop one because they want more "free" time to do "nothing". There's a girl that's really good at Maths in my class and she dropped Maths... Just because she wants to go home earlier? :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
vxa1314
Lol our college is nice. They will change it if they know your capable : )

Well... Basically, I'm guessing you'd get an interview anyways.

Overall I want to ask and I'm sure at Cambridge they'd ask "Why did you drop to a C?" or "why did you get a B in the first place?"

I were predicted all B's because of my GCSE's... But now I'm predicted A*AAA, but I'm not going to ask for any changes. I'm going to get an interview hopefully, and I'm aiming for A*A*A*A* in the summer anyways.

Are you doing 3 subjects or 4? Did you drop one? If you dropped one, what and why did you drop it? :O

It's not suprising that people drop one because they want more "free" time to do "nothing". There's a girl that's really good at Maths in my class and she dropped Maths... Just because she wants to go home earlier? :s-smilie:

Well basically, my coursework I was told that I had full marks. So I walked into the exam thinking that I will get at least a B for Physics. However, my grades was then brought down to a C due to this error. My school are being really difficult about this and I feel that I am still being punished for something that I haven't done.

I did 4 and self taught myself an AS subject with no assistance from January, so ended up doing 5. I Then decided to drop 2, for I felt as though I would have a better chance of getting A*A*A* rather then A*AAB. I felt that I would be in a much better position.

Also, I kept on with the C as I enjoy Phyiscs. However, my school are really trying to get to me. After tomorrow, I can expected to be hated by alot of teachers :teehee:
Reply 3
cpdavis
Well basically, my coursework I was told that I had full marks. So I walked into the exam thinking that I will get at least a B for Physics. However, my grades was then brought down to a C due to this error. My school are being really difficult about this and I feel that I am still being punished for something that I haven't done.

I did 4 and self taught myself an AS subject with no assistance from January, so ended up doing 5. I Then decided to drop 2, for I felt as though I would have a better chance of getting A*A*A* rather then A*AAB. I felt that I would be in a much better position.

Also, I kept on with the C as I enjoy Phyiscs. However, my school are really trying to get to me. After tomorrow, I can expected to be hated by alot of teachers :teehee:

Well... Education is screwed up. Not always our fault.

FIX IT. Is what I'd say...

My girlfriend is in highschool at the moment and she's in her vital year and she's not even complained about a certain science teacher yet.

If something doesn't go well and you can't fix it yourself then you must complain I guess? : )

Tbh I got a b in my physics practical pfft : ( So then my overall Physics AS only hit just above an A.

EDIT: Plus OCR Physics means that you get the same chance of getting an A* at A2 even if you got a low A or even high B. Because:

We need at least 480 points overall. Need 90% in A2. So basically, if you have a B and you get 90% or above in A2 you still get 480 points overall or more.

=/ Pretty screwed up but I'm happy means I don't need to take any resits.
(edited 13 years ago)
cpdavis

Hmm, what did you get in the exams? Did you for example get 90%> in the physics exam, if so I wouldnt really worry about it too much. Predicted grades Don't matter for cambridge that much because Cambridge will know what you are likely to achive from your AS UMS scores.
Reply 5
QuantumOverlord
Hmm, what did you get in the exams? Did you for example get 90%> in the physics exam, if so I wouldnt really worry about it too much. Predicted grades Don't matter for cambridge that much because Cambridge will know what you are likely to achive from your AS UMS scores.

Well this is embarrassing to talk about, I didn't perform as well as I could within the exams, due to me having tonnes of clashes which resulted in me basically crashing out during exam period. I have planned my timetable to prevent this. I know that my chances of getting in are much slimmer, but I feel as though by them not fullinging my promise of giving me the predicted grade, it's basically going to distroy my application.

If they were gonig to to this to everybody, I would understand. But I know people who are in the same situation like me, and they were able to get there predictions changed or given A predictions. Today, I had my Physics current assessment got my grade back and did really well. My physics teacher emailed my head of sixth form to tell him that he should change it. However, he still isn't even though I proved that I can do it (and the assessment was harder then the actual exam papers that edexcel do)

Hopefully, it should be completely sorted out by Monday. :o:
cpdavis
Well this is embarrassing to talk about, I didn't perform as well as I could within the exams, due to me having tonnes of clashes which resulted in me basically crashing out during exam period. I have planned my timetable to prevent this. I know that my chances of getting in are much slimmer, but I feel as though by them not fullinging my promise of giving me the predicted grade, it's basically going to distroy my application.

If they were gonig to to this to everybody, I would understand. But I know people who are in the same situation like me, and they were able to get there predictions changed or given A predictions. Today, I had my Physics current assessment got my grade back and did really well. My physics teacher emailed my head of sixth form to tell him that he should change it. However, he still isn't even though I proved that I can do it (and the assessment was harder then the actual exam papers that edexcel do)

Hopefully, it should be completely sorted out by Monday. :o:

An A*AB prediction isnt as good as an AAA cambridge wise, but it is only a little worse. Your UMS scores I would say are far more important. Cambridge knows that some schools over predict/ under predict so they take this into account.

Were your UMS scores generally OK, you said you crashed out during exams but did you manage to still get some good modules? If you are applying to cambridge you have to declare them all. I wouldnt worry too much about your predicted grades they should be fine :smile:

Trust me your predicted grades will not hold you back!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
QuantumOverlord
An A*AB prediction isnt as good as an AAA cambridge wise, but it is only a little worse. Your UMS scores I would say are far more important. Cambridge knows that some schools over predict/ under predict so they take this into account.

Were your UMS scores generally OK, you said you crashed out during exams but did you manage to still get some good modules? If you are applying to cambridge you have to declare them all. I wouldnt worry too much about your predicted grades they should be fine :smile:

Trust me your predicted grades will not hold you back!

In terms of UMS, I got some UMS scores that are really good. But in some ways, the predictions I am more worried about for my other unis that don't do interviews for maths (KCL and durham). But my school are prepared to destroy my application in some ways, just because my head of sixth form personally doesn't like me (yh thats another story)

Thanks for the encouragement! Good luck for your application to Cambridge.
I am doing maths, further maths and physics at a level.
I got AAB at AS [B in physics].
My predicted grade are A*A*A

At GCSE, I got 3A*s, 5As and 2B's.

What do you think are the chances of me getting an interview at cambridge if i apply?

Edit: My further maths ums scores aren't that brilliant as well. M2 and S2 average is 87.
(edited 13 years ago)
I heard that about 90% of applicants get interviews from Cambridge, so I guess there is a chance, but I am not sure
cpdavis
Hi

This is the situation. Alot happened during AS and due to the school messing up the coursework for everyone doing science, by grade from Physics went from a B to a C. I was not happy and was preparing to move sixth forms. However, my head master told me and my mum that because of this, they were prepared to give me an AAA prediction minimum and write in my reference that there was a mistake. So I decided to apply to uni this year and stay at the sixth form.

This is the problem. When I got my prediction this week, I found out that I got an A*AB, and I wasn't happy as everything that was told to me wasn't fulfilled.

Now I spoke to my physics teacher that gave me the prediction and he said that he would change it to an A as long as I get an A for this weeks test. However, my head of sixth form is basically refusing to change it. I tried to go to my headmaster, but so far slow progress.

Now I'm applying to cambridge, but what is there approach to predicted grades. If I don't have the predicted grades (ie A*AA) would I not get an interview? And for two of my other unis, both that are asking for AAA, is there any point in applying?

He tried to use the excuse of how people were getting all there predictions based on their AS grades and GCSE grades. However, I know people who got worse AS grades but are being predicted A's for does subjects.

There is a meeting about me and the ucas application with the headmaster, my private tutor (he used to me a uni admissions tutor) and my dad. So hopefully it can change. But if it doesn't, what can I do? I'm so scared and confused right now. :frown: :frown: :frown:

If I were you, I won't worry about predicted grades for Cambridge because they will see all of your modules marks anyway.
Reply 11
college student
If I were you, I won't worry about predicted grades for Cambridge because they will see all of your modules marks anyway.

lol I like this
college student

.... no they won't, not unless your referee provides Cambridge with them or you write about them in the personal statement (which always sounds terribly pompous regardless)
TheMeister
.... no they won't, not unless your referee provides Cambridge with them or you write about them in the personal statement (which always sounds terribly pompous regardless)

I was not talking about the other universities.
college student
I was not talking about the other universities.

what?
TheMeister

Eh? Cambridge have a special form that you have to declare all UMS on, you realise?
Hey.

I'm really sorry that your school is being stupid about predicted grades.

Firstly, try as hard as you can to change the predicted grades at the meeting. From what you've written, it sounds like you more or less warrant the predicted grades that were promised to you. If the school really did screw up your coursework grades and are not predicting your grades accurately, you can threaten legal action against them (but try not to do this at the beginning of the interview! Save it for when you really need it!).

As you say, if they don't predict you the grades which are needed for admittance to Cambridge, you will be in a tight spot. The problem at this stage is securing the interview so you can impress them.
You WILL need to explain your predicted grades in your application form so that they don't discard your application on predicted grades alone. Make the decision to discard your application as difficult as possible, admissions tutors are ALL worried about missing out on the next Einstein. Give them an excuse to interview you and find out more, and they will. Good luck!:smile:
Revolution is my Name
Eh? Cambridge have a special form that you have to declare all UMS on, you realise?

yes, but only after they've received the application (the SAQ ain't it?) - the guy above didn't make that clear enough... though to be fair, neither did I :sigh:
(edited 13 years ago)
The SAQ comes on an automatic mailing after you apply through UCAS. The Cambridge application isn't complete until the SAQ is sent, so Cambridge will see all the module marks, although the other universities won't. You therefore don't need to explain anything else on your initial application through UCAS. Cambridge interview about 90% of applicants. If your mum was told they will predict you an A and that is achievable, then get her back into school to talk with your head and teachers again as you have time before the 15th to get your prediction changed.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Hi guys, i have sort of the same issue, i want to apply for engineering and for AS i got:

Maths : A (93.33%)
Physics : A (86.5% *low because of coursework)
Chemistry : A

However in my second year i have picked up AS further maths and my teacher has decided to prodict me a B, will this affect my application?

Predictions:
Maths A2: A*
Physics A2: A*
Chemistry A2: A
Further maths AS : B

Latest

Trending

Trending