The Student Room Group

Do Universities care about what you do between Further Education and Uni?

Hi guys,

In July I left Year 12 after finishing my AS exams and got B, C, U in subjects I couldn't care less about. And now I'm studying a two-year Sport Science course that started 3 weeks ago.

I plan to finish my BTEC in Sport and Exercise Science with distinctions by 2012 (='s 3 A-Levels + a certified Gym Instructor qual), then take a year off working in the health and leasure industry (or even just any job), saving some £$£$£$£ for Uni and equipment for what I'm about to do after that, which is take 3 A-Levels in Music Technology, Photography and English Literature so I can get a place in Uni for Scriptwriting.

My educational route looks kinda messy and I'm aware of it so I don't need to be told of how risky the earning potential for me will be.

I'd just like to know - if I'm invited to an interview (the course details mention it), will my chances of making it in be affected by the whole Year 12 fail, then wierd/random Sport Science, then a gap year THEN 3 full A-Levels before going straight to Uni?

In the least, it'd be a pretty awesome story to tell :yep:
Reply 1
You may well be questioned about it, but if you give good, intelligent reasons (not just 'I didn't know what else to do/I didn't want to go into full time work yet') then there shouldn't be an issue. If you have a real desire to do something, it should come through in your PS and your interview. They won't immediately throw your application away because you've done a mix of different things.
Mention the passed AS', but not the sports science Btec. As long as you are qualified, and can prove it. No, I don't think they care. Worth getting another opinion though.
Reply 3
They may ask why you've changed your mind (from the A level subjects to sport to the new A levels and scriptwriting).

why are you still doing your BTEC if you want to do the scriptwriting degree? You'd probably be better off working part/full time now (you definitely don't need a sport BTEC to get a job in a leisure centre or as a lifeguard or anything), doing your gym course alongside that if you want to, then starting your new A levels next year.
Reply 4
FXX
You may well be questioned about it, but if you give good, intelligent reasons (not just 'I didn't know what else to do/I didn't want to go into full time work yet') then there shouldn't be an issue. If you have a real desire to do something, it should come through in your PS and your interview. They won't immediately throw your application away because you've done a mix of different things.

angelmxxx
They may ask why you've changed your mind (from the A level subjects to sport to the new A levels and scriptwriting).

why are you still doing your BTEC if you want to do the scriptwriting degree? You'd probably be better off working part/full time now (you definitely don't need a sport BTEC to get a job in a leisure centre or as a lifeguard or anything), doing your gym course alongside that if you want to, then starting your new A levels next year.

Yeah I'd have to put thought into my explanation during and after I send out my applications on UCAS, it was really a big rush to find a course that I could settle with (at the time I thought Sport Science was the only thing I wanted to do), but after sitting down and contemplating I decided it wasn't necessarily just that.

Scriptwriting/Journalism and Producing are my big interests, then it's Exercise Physiology/Nutrition. Since my favorite one of the two is a highly risky career route I feel I need this BTEC. Not just as a back-up qualifcation but because I really am a freak about exercise physiolog, nutrition, human anatomy and all that shizz.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Well I guess a spell in the slammer for sexual assault wouldnt go down well........
Reply 6
adam_zed
Well I guess a spell in the slammer for sexual assault wouldnt go down well........

No, I don't beleev it would
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Widowmaker
Yeah I'd have to put thought into my explanation during and after I send out my applications on UCAS, it was really a big rush to find a course that I could settle with (at the time I thought Sport Science was the only thing I wanted to do), but after sitting down and contemplating I decided it wasn't necessarily just that.

Scriptwriting/Journalism and Producing are my big interests, then it's Exercise Physiology/Nutrition. Since my favorite one of the two is a highly risky career route I feel I need this BTEC. Not just as a back-up qualifcation but because I really am a freak about exercise physiolog, nutrition, human anatomy and all that shizz.

Oh right I see - it's really great to study anything you're interested in :smile:
Well if you're just interested in it, you could maybe do a 1 year btec or something? Obviously depends how long you want to study for, but would the new A levels be free if you start when you're over 19? There's clearly nothing wrong with learning things you're interested in, but it might look like you're just confused and keep changing your mind/think you'll be better at something else. It's much more common to do a few open uni modules/evening classes in something you're interested in rather than do a whole 2 year btec, then 2 years of a levels, then apply to uni for a degree! Open Uni especially would give you more freedom to do modules you're interested in, ie more nutrition modules etc.

If you can live at home/afford to rent whilst you study what you want then have fun learning!
Reply 8
angelmxxx
Oh right I see - it's really great to study anything you're interested in :smile:
Well if you're just interested in it, you could maybe do a 1 year btec or something? Obviously depends how long you want to study for, but would the new A levels be free if you start when you're over 19? There's clearly nothing wrong with learning things you're interested in, but it might look like you're just confused and keep changing your mind/think you'll be better at something else. It's much more common to do a few open uni modules/evening classes in something you're interested in rather than do a whole 2 year btec, then 2 years of a levels, then apply to uni for a degree! Open Uni especially would give you more freedom to do modules you're interested in, ie more nutrition modules etc.

If you can live at home/afford to rent whilst you study what you want then have fun learning!

OMG... I'd be 19 when I finish! :eek: I've just realized. Thanks for mentioning that lol... I wouldn't have thought about it until it was too late.

My only concern for the future is the risk involved with scriptwriting and producing. And right now, I think I want to start the A-Levels by 18 while it's still free :/ I guess I should just do half of the BTEC and gain the personal training qual from it. Thanks for the insight on the uni opportunities as well :smile: I think I have a clearer idea, now I just have to decide when and how to tell my college lol
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Widowmaker
OMG... I'd be 19 when I finish! :eek: I've just realized. Thanks for mentioning that lol... I wouldn't have thought about it until it was too late.

My only concern for the future is the risk involved with scriptwriting and producing. And right now, I think I want to start the A-Levels by 18 while it's still free :/ I guess I should just do half of the BTEC and gain the personal training qual from it. Thanks for the insight on the uni opportunities as well :smile: I think I have a clearer idea, now I just have to decide when and how to tell my college lol

Well if you get good A levels then that dramatically lessens the risk - and even though scriptwriting is a very vocational degree, you could still apply for general graduate jobs.

How come you'd only be doing 3 a levels (instead of the normal 3 + 1 AS)? You might want to think about taking another traditional subject to AS if you're worried about not having security after taking your degree. Also more essay-based subjects would probably prepare you for your degree better, instead of music tech and photography. It's sort of like your BTEC - if you're really interested in photography, perhaps it'd be better to do it as part of a society than as one of your 3 A-Levels? I know there is some writing involved with it, but not as many essays as History or something, and form what I know from a friend who did it for A-Level, all the writing is describing/analysing, whereas History is more arguing/using language somewhat creatively to persuade people to agree with your idea. I think you'd use the persuasive writing in scriptwriting more than you would the photography writing style. Also Drama could be a good choice?

Eg. for UEA Scriptwriting and Performance - AAB-ABB, English Literature or Drama & Theatre Studies at grade B or above required, and one other arts or humanities subject.

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/Q4iPN3ilIynP5QuVuf16ISToV5HgC-Vy5w/HAHTpage/search.HsEntryReq.run?n=1028634#CSRA
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending