The Student Room Group

A Level Choices for a Language Degree?

Hello!

Apologies, I know there are SO many threads about 'which a levels to take', but since I couldn't find anything too relevant about A Levels for a language degree, thought I may as well up and start a thread here? I am so desperate for advice now it's silly.

Basically, have done my AS levels, and it's now got to a point where I (REALLY) have to drop one for A2..so was just wondering, for a languages degree in French and Spanish, would it really matter which A2 I took out of English Lang and Psychology? I've spoken to countless people, but I thought I should get TSR's opinion :wink:

I know that technically it wouldn't matter as long as I have the two languages I want to do at Uni and got the requirement grade for the third subject, but I genuinely do not know which way to turn!

Enjoy different aspects of both, got similar grades in both, targeted the same grade in both.......gah!

Anyone want to offer a little advice? Would be very much appreciated!! :biggrin: x
Reply 1
It wouldn't matter so either keep both or toss a coin.
Reply 2
I would love to keep both but Im just worried it'll be too much work..did toss a coin earlier today though, it said Psychology but something is still not letting me stick with that decision! :s-smilie:
catmarcy
I would love to keep both but Im just worried it'll be too much work..did toss a coin earlier today though, it said Psychology but something is still not letting me stick with that decision! :s-smilie:

If you tossed a coin and the answer was Psychology, and you're still unsure, you'll either have to switch to English Lang (which, to me, seems the one you really prefer - otherwise you'd just settle on Psych anyway), or carry both through.

Admittedly the workload for more-than-one language is on the 'heavy' side, what with the grammar and vocab aspects, but since you're doing two Romances it should be pretty reasonable. I have friends who did Spanish, French and Welsh as their A-Level choices and managed to pass them all with very good grades, and they all went on to do Spanish or Spanish/French at University. Either way, English/Psych won't drag your grades down...

Regardless of what you choose, as long as you don't get complacent with your language skills you should be fine.

Buena suerte and bon chance with your languages, and Uni application. :smile:
Reply 4
I probably would keep English if I were you, but yeah, I doubt it matters. So go with the one you like best.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I don't think it will make any difference, so long as you get the grades. I want to do a languages degree, and I'm taking French, Biology, Maths and History. There hasn't been a single university I've seen that has asked for a subject other than the language you want to do.
Reply 6
Amy_1106
I don't think it will make any difference, so long as you get the grades. I want to do a languages degree, and I'm taking French, Biology, Maths and History. There hasn't been a single university I've seen that has asked for a subject other than the language you want to do.

This to be honest. Are you looking to study French or Modern Languages where you combine French with another language at beginners level?
Reply 7
Thankyou so much for the answers so far guys - you've been really helpful!

Alouette!
Are you looking to study French or Modern Languages where you combine French with another language at beginners level?

I'm looking to do just French and Spanish at degree level :smile: No University has said it would put me at a loss doing one or the other - apart from one University in particular who thought it 'might' be better to do English Language...

Yesterday I actually officially dropped Psychology, even though I enjoy it a lot more...and instantly regretted it. But I think what a couple of you guys have suggested is right - to be honest, I think I need to take what would most likely get me on the course I want to do, and unfortunately I think it's hard for Psychology to compete with English Language in terms of being a linguist...

So I think I've done the right thing. I'm hoping it's just a natural 'dropping a subject' feeling I'm getting in missing Psychology since I loved my teacher and class, and the subject. I'm not saying some aspects of English Language aren't interesting, but was it right choosing common sense over enjoyment? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
That was probably the better thing to do then, yeah. Even if it just gives you a slight advantage it would be good.
I'm sorry, I just realised, I slightly lied earlier. A few universities have said that an essay based subject would be good, so I'll either be dropping maths or biology.
I want to do Modern Languages, French with Italian :smile:
Reply 9
Amy_1106
That was probably the better thing to do then, yeah. Even if it just gives you a slight advantage it would be good.
I'm sorry, I just realised, I slightly lied earlier. A few universities have said that an essay based subject would be good, so I'll either be dropping maths or biology.
I want to do Modern Languages, French with Italian :smile:

Ouu French with Italian :biggrin: Warwick's French with Italian course looks pretty awesome! ^_^
Reply 10
Alouette!
Ouu French with Italian :biggrin: Warwick's French with Italian course looks pretty awesome! ^_^

It really does! It's kinda weird you said that, I've literally just been looking at their course again :smile:

Latest