The Student Room Group
Reply 1
what is ur first unit about?
Reply 2
I'm doing the GCE in Applied ICT, but the OCR specification. My first Unit is manditory: Using ICT to communicate and is assessed by internal portfio (coursework) evidence marked by my teacher and moderated by the exam board.I assume AQA will use the same topics, but perhaps give them slightly different titles. If you need any help, post back and I'll do my best to help you.

Enjoy your course.
Reply 3
I was thinking what i have to do for the units, dont quite understand and was also unsure what was done via tests and coursework.

1st Unit i am unsure of.
2nd Unit is about business and ICT,
3rd Unit about databases.

Any help on 1st unit and info on which unit is exam based and coursework based?

Thanks
Reply 4
Amz1
I was thinking what i have to do for the units, dont quite understand and was also unsure what was done via tests and coursework.

1st Unit i am unsure of.
2nd Unit is about business and ICT,
3rd Unit about databases.

Any help on 1st unit and info on which unit is exam based and coursework based?

Thanks

According to the website in brackets (http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-8751-8753-8756-8759-W-SP-07.pdf - refer to section '2.2 - requirements for advanced subsidiry AS'), unit 1 is externally accessed which means you will need to do an exam (it has an asterik indicating that on the website I just gave you).
Reply 5
http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-8751-8753-8756-8759-W-SP-07.pdf

This is the link to your specification
Unit 1 is called ''Society and ICT'' and is assessed by an external exam, but I think you also need to complete a pre-release booklet (ie a mini project which follows simular guidelines to a piece of coursework prior to the exam itself - if you did GNVQ IT last year, you will know what I mean)which is worth 20% (or at least that's the case for my OCR Unit 2 external exam)
Unit 2 - How organsiations use ICT is internally assessed via portfolio evidence
Unit 3 - Data Handling is internally asessed again via portfolio evidence.
Reply 6
I was wondering how i could possibly have a 15 hour exam?

How is Unit 1 assessed?

What does it mean by 15 hour controlled exam.

Thanks
Reply 7
Amz1
I was wondering how i could possibly have a 15 hour exam?

How is Unit 1 assessed?

What does it mean by 15 hour controlled exam.

Thanks

The Assessment for AQA GCE Applied ICT Unit 1 is by carrying out a piece of work under controlled condition in 15 hours. These 15 hours can be spread over a number of weeks, so don't panic about being stuck in an ICT room for hours at a time. Think of it as being like Pre-release work, but you are in exam conditions and against the clock.

There is no written exam for Unit 1 - all your marks come from the work done in the controlled conditions.

If your school/college is wanting assessment for Unit 1 in January, they should have recieved the exam papers by now (work can start on the tasks from 1st November)

There is a Specimen Paper for Unit 1 available on the AQA Website here

Hope that helps,

Phil

Latest

Trending

Trending