The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It'd be quicker to tell you the lectures I go to.

And I do fine.
Reply 2
Gimothy
It'd be quicker to tell you the lectures I go to.

And I do fine.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you mean you miss loads of lectures lol. What course are you doing? and does being a member of the WoW soc have anything to do with you missing lectures?
I only miss the ones I'm ill for (sadly, that's was four or five last year) or had some other reason as to why I couldn't get to (eg, heavy snow stopped the buses, and I have no other way of getting to uni.)

It's not I'm bad at self-studying, I just finding reading a book with no previous knowledge means it makes no sense; conversely, I learn quite well from listening to someone and writing notes, then when I go to read about it, I understand it. Lectures aren't for everyone, but I find them helpful.
(edited 13 years ago)
In first year missed about 50% of them since January, second year missed one so far in two weeks, gonna go to 90+%.
Mm, I probably missed about one or two lectures every other week. When you have 20 hours a week of lectures and the latest start you have is 10am and you never go to bed until after 2 (I have 3 hours of lectures tomorrow starting at 10...) then it takes real dedication to get up for them all! As long as you make sure you catch up and make sure you have everything by the time revision period comes around then it's not really a big deal.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
You Failed
Mm, I probably missed about one or two lectures every other week. When you have 20 hours a week of lectures and the latest start you have is 10am and you never go to bed until after 2 (I have 3 hours of lectures tomorrow starting at 10...) then it takes real dedication to get up for them all!

First: It was funny seeing your user name " You Failed" as the latest post on the missing lectures thread...

second: I start sometimes as late as 1 and still miss them :p:
Reply 7
4TSR
I'm going to go ahead and assume you mean you miss loads of lectures lol. What course are you doing? and does being a member of the WoW soc have anything to do with you missing lectures?

Haaaa. No, maybe last year but I've stopped playing. I do maths.
I missed 1 last year, and that's because I was doing an essay that was due in the same day for that module, and no one ever went anyway because she couldn't bloody teach. Don't plan to miss any this year, I find lectures fascinating :h:
Reply 9
Yes....the maths is still all the stuff I learn in A Level further maths so I don't bother going...
(edited 13 years ago)
I've never missed a lecture due to a hangover or still being drunk (I can handle my drink!), but last year there were about two weeks in the Autumn term where I was too ill to come to lectures, as I unknowingly had glandular fever!
the crap and booring ones
Reply 12
I've missed loads in my time, still did well enough in all my modules, planning to go to more this year, mostly as none of them are hugely subscribed, I'd be spotted as missing more easily in one or two.
Reply 13
I think I didn't go to a lecture from October onwards last year (which was my second year), besides one in January.

But then, I did all the reading before the lecture, I wrote up the PowerPoint slides before the lectures, and half our lecturers just seem to rephrase exactly what's on the slides. I averaged a First overall, so it worked. I think the thing about my course is that the lectures really are just the most basic background starting points, it's the readings that are important. I came out of an exam and heard one girl say 'How were we supposed to write an essay on that, we weren't taught it!' and, well...there was a huge section of the required reading chapter about it. :\

But yeah, different courses use lectures for different reasons/information.
I don't think there's ever been a year where I went to every lecture that I should have :biggrin: Last Jan, I got pulled from all my lectures but thankfully there weren't that many left :nah:
In first year, for one of my classes, I actually missed every single lecture.
I mean, they were in the morning.
I still passed it with the same mark I got for most things in first year (wasn't trying), something like 55.
So... don't stress if you wake up late and miss one!
Reply 16
I'm currently in my 4th year of my degree and would say that until this point, I've probably averaged about 10 - 15% attendance...

I just have a real issue with motivation. However, I've still managed to keep up with the assessed work until this point and I'm really working on being more productive this year.
Reply 17
In my first term I didn't miss a single lecture (although I was massively late to one, like 40 minutes, casue I had a deadline at the end of the hour).

Second term I missed a few, 9ams mainly.

This term I haven't missed any so far, but I'm gonna miss one soon because of a party... luckily that lecturer puts the stuff online :smile:
Reply 18
In my first year I had one lecture at 8. :lolwut:

Went to it once, never again.
Reply 19
I missed about one every fortnight in my first and second years. But now I'm a big grown up third year, I'm going to try to make it to every one. And seeing as I'm paying however many thousands of pounds for the grand total of 8 hours a week, I think it would be a bit stupid to miss some just because I can't be bothered to get out of bed in the morning.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending