The Student Room Group

LSE Postgrad 2011/2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by PKU_Research007
Buddy I'm telling you it's not a pretty picture, we aren't in America where grades can be "compensated" for stellar blah blah, all my friends here who've done masters at LSE Oxbridge Imperial all say if you don't have the "recommended" gpa for a program its pretty much saying goodbye but thanks for the application fee. When I looked at grad schools outside the states what struck me was how strict they are about gpa and at least for international students, school name. Its not like in America where a good sob story ps can melt the hearts of an admissions counselor or a single extra curricular can make up for a low gpa. One of my Research Advisor's colleagues here at Peking University teaches LSE students at LSE-PKU and he said that all the non uk students he taught at the program were from the top 20 US schools or top 1-2 of the individual's home country. You should really think hard about what's at your level.

Thanks for the advice. I got in touch with the admissions office. I was told that my application would be considered even though I did not have a 3.5 GPA. As a policy, they review all completed applications. I will go ahead and apply anyway. Not much to lose, but a whole lot to gain.
Original post by vcash
MSc in Global Media & Communications (LSE / USC)
MSc in Media & Communications (Research)
Quinnipiac University, CT
4 years of work experience - strategy role in telecom, analyst role within consulting and an internship within strategy in media publishing. Worked in 3 different countries and lots of extra curricular activities in college (RA, Administrative Assistant, Albert Schweitzer institute volunteer etc.)

Had a few questions:
1. Normally obtained GPA for the programs I am interested in is 3.5. Is this a recommended average or the minimum to be considered for the program?

2. For the Global Media & Communications program, LSE & USC, both require personal statements. Should I send one common statement to both or two different statements.

3. Since I will be listing MSc in Media & Communications (Research) as my second choice, do I need to do a separate personal statement for this program or will the one that I write for the Global Media & Communications program suffice?

4. My professors from college will be writing me recommendations. However, since I have been working for 4 years now, can I also ask my manager to write me a recommendation highlighting my recent achievements? Does this help in any way?

Appreciate your help in answering these questions.

Cheers,
V

A note about point 3. I wasn't clear, but if by first choice you had MSc in Media and Communications and then second choice you had MSc in Media and Communications (Research).....it would be redundant putting them both on as choices. Not only would you be using the same personal statement (you would have to, the online system only has one box for PS-es; so you'd integrate the research part, but onto the other point...) but departments when considering the Research-Track equivalents for the MScs, do not consider them seperately. Research-tracks are assessed initially in the same pool as the straight-taughts and then sorted out later after all are admitted. For those shooting for ESRC 1+3s, they'd have to be considered in the same pool as the straight-taughts to gain admission first before funding decisions come into play.
Reply 22
Anyone know when we should be getting the final e-mail with the LSE For You login etc (if you've already submitted your application)? They said they would start sending them out Nov 1st.
Reply 23
I graduate from university this June 2011, when should I apply for LSE post-grad? If I want to start as soon as possible after graduation... does anyone know when the term starts?
Original post by renx
I graduate from university this June 2011, when should I apply for LSE post-grad? If I want to start as soon as possible after graduation... does anyone know when the term starts?

Term usually starts the last week of September.

Apply NOW, or start writing up your app and asking for references. December is a good safe month to submit it. Few years back I applied December and got a conditional offer in January. Most LSE Departments consider applications on a rolling basis so the earlier the better, as once a course starts filling up its quota of acceptances they start getting very very picky. Also, the updating on the course-availability can be delayed for some departments. Considering the time it takes for applications to be processed. So one that looks available and then closes soon after, but you applied just a little bit before it was even listed as closed may mean that your app wasn't looked at after all. For the more competitive programs, apply by end of March at the very latest. Knew someone rejected because of the problem of submitting when the course was "available" but by the time her app could be assessed by a departmental tutor it turned into "closed", they applied late March.
Reply 25
Kaplanvr: Today I received the fourth email with a password for tracking the status in LSE for you. Now, just wait and cross fingers. Good luck to all!!
Thats odd I applied on teh 12th and still have haven't gotten the 4th email
Reply 27
Really odd..maybe it depends on the department the application is sent. May I know what program are you applying? I am appliyinf to a master in laws (llm)
Reply 28
Really odd...maybe it depends on the department you are applying to. May I know which program are you applying? I am applying to the master in laws (LLM)
I actually just got it today I'm applying for PKU-LSE and IR MSc I actually have two questions for the group my senior year I took two classes Pass Fail which I Passed, my school requires humanities students to take sciences and I was more worried about graduating on time then focusing on these classes one was intro to cognitive neuropsychology, do you think thats going to affect my application for an IR degree? Second I was invited to be a speaker at a panel at a very prestigious conference hosted by the UN, its called the Global Sustainable Leaders Forum 2010 I was asked to join a panel of "young scholars and leaders" to discuss my research, how should I word this as an added piece of info since my app was already sent in?
Reply 30
Original post by WaltzvWendt

Thanks for the advice...

However, if my current gpa is 3.88 (while this semester im doing waay better and believe it will raise to a 4.0). should i wait and apply in january when i have a higher gpa??

Do you think I can be accepted to an MSC in Media and Communications with this gpa?
I study in an american uni , so the gpa is different.. my british gpa would be higher since they take only the 15 best scores from ur 300/400 level communications courses. Does anyone understand that??

thank you!!
PKU_Research007, the thread I opened in the LSE section is much neater than yours. I'm sorry but you have to accept it. Hah. ANYWAY, let's move here.

Programme MSc Global Politics.
Current Institution University of Salento, Italy.
Predicted Final Grades 110/110 cum laude.
Further Details Six months as an intern with UNICEF. Wrote a 30,000-word final thesis on global governance, in English.

My application was acknowledged on monday, it's currently under consideration by the department. Good luck to you all!
(edited 13 years ago)
Buddy I'm telling you it's not a pretty picture, we aren't in America where grades can be "compensated" for stellar blah blah, all my friends here who've done masters at LSE Oxbridge Imperial all say if you don't have the "recommended" gpa for a program its pretty much saying goodbye but thanks for the application fee. When I looked at grad schools outside the states what struck me was how strict they are about gpa and at least for international students, school name. Its not like in America where a good sob story ps can melt the hearts of an admissions counselor or a single extra curricular can make up for a low gpa. One of my Research Advisor's colleagues here at Peking University teaches LSE students at LSE-PKU and he said that all the non uk students he taught at the program were from the top 20 US schools or top 1-2 of the individual's home country. You should really think hard about what's at your level.

This is not entirely correct. The school's name is taken into consideration, but not as a fundamental factor. I know many LSE alumni who studied at small, unknown or very bad universities. If your marks are above their minimum requirements, your personal statement is convincing and your letters of reference are stellar, then your application doesn't hinge at all on the name of your school. If, however, you are a borderline applicant from an unknown school and they have to choose between you and a student with a similar profile but from a top university, well, then the ranking of your institution comes into play.

I have been told so by countless, countless admission tutors and lecturers too. The name of your school counts if you are an average applicant, but if you're brilliant, you're brilliant and that's all, no matter where you studied.
Original post by TheSocialScientist
This is not entirely correct. The school's name is taken into consideration, but not as a fundamental factor. I know many LSE alumni who studied at small, unknown or very bad universities. If your marks are above their minimum requirements, your personal statement is convincing and your letters of reference are stellar, then your application doesn't hinge at all on the name of your school. If, however, you are a borderline applicant from an unknown school and they have to choose between you and a student with a similar profile but from a top university, well, then the ranking of your institution comes into play.

I have been told so by countless, countless admission tutors and lecturers too. The name of your school counts if you are an average applicant, but if you're brilliant, you're brilliant and that's all, no matter where you studied.

Wow. Are you telling me if you get a first in economics from Westminster you are a brilliant student? :rofl:
Original post by prospectivEEconomist
Wow. Are you telling me if you get a first in economics from Westminster you are a brilliant student? :rofl:

Don't be ridiculous, the name of your institution doesn't necessarily affect your capabilities. Ever heard of bright students who couldn't afford better, more expensive institutions? I don't know how it is in England, but abroad, and here in Italy, it happens very often.

Besides, it's not only a First that makes a brilliant student. But if you think that only students from top universities should be considered top students say so, please.
Reply 35
hi everyone,

i am applying for the MSc in International Relations & HRM at LSE.
i am having trouble writing my personal statement. what do they expect? thanks guys!
Original post by lse88
hi everyone,

i am applying for the MSc in International Relations & HRM at LSE.
i am having trouble writing my personal statement. what do they expect? thanks guys!

They expect you to introduce yourself and explain how and why:

A) You would benefit from the programme.
B) You would contribute with your experience to the programme.
C) You would be able to cope with the workload.

Be sincere, don't just say "I'm this, I'm that, I'm great". Explain why they should take you instead of hundreds of other applicants - don't say it clearly, of course. Just prove it. You'll be competing with hundreds of students with similar grades to yours, so your personal statement is fundamental. It's what puts your grades into context. And this context has to be damn good.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
thank you so much that helps :smile: do you know if there any sample personal statement for that degree/similar degrees available online. cant seem to find any
Correct if you are a brilliant student you are but if you looked at the guys stats he is not a "brilliant" student (no offense) he is a regular student. And at least it America its not just "the people that can afford" that go to top schools. So IDK what got your panties in a bunch but at least in the schools I know unless you can clearly afford the school they give you financial aid.
Original post by lse88
thank you so much that helps :smile: do you know if there any sample personal statement for that degree/similar degrees available online. cant seem to find any

No, I'm sorry but I have no idea. My advice is: write everything by yourself. There's not an ideal personal statement which fits all. It has to be about you, they want to know who are you. My advice is: be 100% honest about yourself, and try to be convincing.

Correct if you are a brilliant student you are but if you looked at the guys stats he is not a "brilliant" student (no offense) he is a regular student. And at least it America its not just "the people that can afford" that go to top schools. So IDK what got your panties in a bunch but at least in the schools I know unless you can clearly afford the school they give you financial aid.

Not here, not here. Besides, there are no top international schools in Italy. Nothing comparable to LSE, Oxford, UCL etc. I simply studied in Italy, there's no big difference between our best and worse universities. They're all state-run, and the level is more or less the same. This level for some things is good: universities in Italy are amongst the tougher and more demanding in the world, on average, and Italian students are always highly respected abroad. There's a whole tradition of Italians doing very well at LSE, Oxbridge, UCL, Harvard and so on. But you get very bad service. The professors/students ratio is awful, huge masses attend courses, not much money for scholarships, crappy laboratories, small classrooms etc. Unless you studied at Bocconi, which is private and solely for economics, finance and law, there's not much difference between our universities so here a discourse about studying at a top university doesn't make much sense.

PS. I looked at the guy stats and sadly, I agree: not enough for LSE. What I mean is that a 3.8 GPA is a great achievement wherever you studied. And you can be bright anywhere, of course. And yes: it happens that someone doesn't do that well in high school which prevents him from studying at a top institution, but then he becomes a stellar student at university. It's very common, and nothing bad with it.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending