The Student Room Group

LSE Postgrad 2011/2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm sorry to hear that about Italian schools, that really sucks. Its true that there are some brilliant passionate kids at every school. But to be honest, most of them are found at least in America at the top schools. For example at my uni everyone was somehow involved either with their own research or in world events. I had a friend that went around the world video taping different methods of brain surgery by nation and quantifying possible developments to american neurosurgery procedure. I was always interested in IR but my parents basically said private school, had 3 choices, Ibank, Law, or Consultant so I took a bunch of business courses at school but after the financial crisis they finally said do what you want so the research I was allowed to do at school was limited to editing that academic journal iI helped found and doing some extra research papers. Because the east asian studies was a new program we had no honors thesis choice which really pissed me off since we have one of the most world famous china political scientists in our faculty and she for the first time was teaching a non graduate class.
Reply 41
A question to everybody,

If I sent my application today, how long do you think I'll have to wait to get an answer? January seems really far away:frown:, has anyone received an answer sooner? Christmas would be great:tongue:!!
I think that the 8 weeks time is just a standard period but it could be quicker, right?

Cheers.
Reply 42
Original post by foulou
A question to everybody,

If I sent my application today, how long do you think I'll have to wait to get an answer? January seems really far away:frown:, has anyone received an answer sooner? Christmas would be great:tongue:!!
I think that the 8 weeks time is just a standard period but it could be quicker, right?

Cheers.

I'm dreadful, I check every day even though its only been a couple of weeks since I applied :-) I think January is the best we can hope for! But keep watching these pages, at least from december which is what I'll do - that way we'll here if any offers have been made that people feel like spilling about.
The wait sucks for me cause I don't hear back from my first choice program until April....SOO NOT KOSHER
Luckily I have my final exams to keep me busy, otherwise I'd be sitting alone, biting my nails.
I dont have that luxury, I finished my speech for the UN Summit Meeting so now I am just biting my toe nails since I already used up my finger nails
Why are you guys obsessing so much? Its only LSE, jeez...
Reply 47
I have finished my Personal Statement but I would greatly appreciate if someone with experience could proof read it. I thought they did that here but apparently that service is not for postgraduate students. Does anyone know who can help? cheers
Reply 48
Original post by rifeca88
I have finished my Personal Statement but I would greatly appreciate if someone with experience could proof read it. I thought they did that here but apparently that service is not for postgraduate students. Does anyone know who can help? cheers

Ask around at uni? Perhaps a lecturer you get on well with or sometimes the student office can tell you a unit that does services like that if you ask...
Reply 49
Original post by TheSocialScientist
Luckily I have my final exams to keep me busy, otherwise I'd be sitting alone, biting my nails.

My paid research work is not nearly as engrossing as exams.

*sits alone, biting nails*
Reply 50
Hi guys, I tend to apply for studying Master major in Accounting and Finance in LSE. I got 2:1 in second year and got 85 for Management Accounting , 62 for Financial Acc. Do you think I have a chance. I'm currently final year student of Exeter
Reply 51
Hi guys, Planning on applying to the MSc in Financial Mathematics..

Profile:

Uniof Liverpool - BA (Joint Hons) Maths and Economics - 2nd year avg 81%
Internships: MAS Holdings (Operational Management) and Standard Charted Bank (Consumer Banking).
Reply 52
I applied about two week ago...

1st: MSc management (non cems route)
2nd: MSc Accounting and Finance

I have a BSc in applied economics from a french uni (paris dauphine university).
I was awarded a first for my third year (70%). In fact, our average for our BSc simply is the average of our third year (quite cool :redface:).Thus I have a 1st on my BSc.
I have 2 internships (BNP+big 4)+extracurriculars (student association+humanitary)

waiting drives me crazy
Do we really need to wait 8 weeks when we apply that soon ?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by PKU_Research007
I dont have that luxury, I finished my speech for the UN Summit Meeting so now I am just biting my toe nails since I already used up my finger nails

Original post by goewyn
My paid research work is not nearly as engrossing as exams.

*sits alone, biting nails*

You have my sympathy, guys. You have my sympathy.
Original post by hadao
Hi guys, I tend to apply for studying Master major in Accounting and Finance in LSE. I got 2:1 in second year and got 85 for Management Accounting , 62 for Financial Acc. Do you think I have a chance. I'm currently final year student of Exeter

I see you have been sadly ignored. Premise: I know nothing about finance and accounting. This said: do apply, what do you have to lose, except 50 pounds? Perhaps you'd be wiser to aim for less popular courses, getting in LSE Accounting and Finance with a 2:1 is a long shot. Still, some people do, but they usually have brilliant work experience. But with a strong 2:1 and an 85 in Management Accounting you should stand a legitimate chance. Why not? Of course it all comes down to positive references and a very convincing personal statement.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 55
Programs: 1st Choice: MSc Environmental Policy & Regulation; 2nd Choice: MSc Regulation
Undergraduate institution: University of Edinburgh
GPA: First Class (73% or so) in History
Anything extra: No real relevant coursework, but clear intention for the program: I want to eventually attend law school in the states (I'm a US citizen) and practice environmental law. I'm currently teaching English in Vietnam. I have two very strong recs. Should be submitting this week.

Do you guys think the lack of relevant coursework will hurt badly?
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes and no it depends on the other applicants. The problem with grad school vs undegrad is that experience is a big deal. Grades are of course important but the ages of grad students vary so you really don't know who you are up against. So in short I personally feel it will be an achille's heel.
Reply 57
Last week I submitted my application for MSc Political Sociology and yesterday I finished the GSS form. I asked for more than the tuition fees and now I am worried that it will have an impact on an offer...I read in this forum that even though it states that the GSS is not related to the university application they do take it into account. Please enlighten me as I am going nuts wondering about this!
Reply 58
Hi all, quick question!
If we're allowed to send in an extra professional reference in addition to our two academic references, but we're only given space on the application form to register two references, how woud we go about sending the third one? Anyone have any knowledge of this? Please let me know ASAP! Thanks.
Reply 59
Hi guys, do you think that a 2:1 in law is good enough to get MSC Politics and government in the EU? I'm really worried it might be too competitive for me to get in?
What do you think about European studies: ideas and identities?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending