The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

the most rah i met was from churchill and he ignored me! and then a rah girl came in and also ignored me from churchill. apart from that i havent actually met any rahs, and the steriotype of bristol being like that is so untrue, especially in durdham the ppl are really down to earth and nice!
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
wednesburywench
the most rah i met was from churchill and he ignored me! and then a rah girl came in and also ignored me from churchill. apart from that i havent actually met any rahs, and the steriotype of bristol being like that is so untrue, especially in durdham the ppl are really down to earth and nice!

Durdham seems really down to earth. I mean, I went to a comprehensive school and yet everyone else in the flat thinks I'm posh! I mean, ok I'm living with two Welsh lads and two Brummies, but still! If Bristol is meant to be posh, I'm obviously walking around with a paper bag over my head.
bristol is not common, but its not posh either, nice balance :smile: now whos flat shall i raid, im bored
Reply 43
wednesburywench
bristol is not common, but its not posh either, nice balance :smile: now whos flat shall i raid, im bored

They used to be officialy classed as biased towards private schoolies - this year that label was officially removed though.

Halls like Churchill and Wills definetly are fll of "posh" people though. I met a girl who said to me "oh you're a northerner! I've never met one of those before. I have seen them on the TV though."
Jamie23
They used to be officialy classed as biased towards private schoolies - this year that label was officially removed though.

Halls like Churchill and Wills definetly are fll of "posh" people though. I met a girl who said to me "oh you're a northerner! I've never met one of those before. I have seen them on the TV though."

No way....

:rofl:

I like Northerners. They have sexy accents.
Reply 45
susiemakemeblue

I like Northerners. They have sexy accents.

Sexy?! :rolleyes:

I tell you somethin' - It is so so odd having a northern accent down here.

If you took me to Liverpool and asked a proper Scouser "Is this guy scouse?", they'd look at you funny and say, "No feckin' way!". Yet to everyone down here i might aswell have a bad perm and a shell suit. :biggrin:
Reply 46
Jamie23

Can we please stop stereotyping Wills on the basis of a couple of pashmina totting girls?

Half the people I've met here are northerners. And the vast majority of people are not posh.

Why does it matter anyway?

I also thought it was officially classed as biased against private school pupils and now is not, as it was the independent schools conference that retracted that claim. I may have misread the article though. Can't be bothered to check, I have work to do :eek:

Neway, its not that surprising if someone hasnt met a northerner before, if you live in the south there arent very many around. I think theres only 1 I've met more than once outside of school and a couple of teachers were. How many southerners did you know in Leeds?

Still, the point is that overall the mix of people at Bristol is balanced, although it is inevitable that some groupings, such as certain halls, will tend to give an appearance of being dominated by one particular group, even if this is not the case. I would maintain that I have certainly not had an impression of any particular hall being dominated by any particular social group, (my remarks about churchill are probably coloured by the fact I've only met friends of my friends there who would tend to be public school), and besides after a week of living here, it is extremely unlikely that any claims to have an objective and comprehensive view of the demographic of the bristol student body would stand up under serious scrutiny.
im classed as a northerner here! n back home i wud say its further south than north, altho technically in the middle! hardly met any "northerners"
I wouldn't call you a northerner, but I would call Nottingham fairly north.
Reply 49
wednesburywench
im classed as a northerner here! n back home i wud say its further south than north, altho technically in the middle! hardly met any "northerners"

Have you not met peter kay? :confused: :biggrin:
Reply 50
susiemakemeblue
I wouldn't call you a northerner, but I would call Nottingham fairly north.

Who do you know is from nottingham, i thought i was the only one in Durdham who came from that area and i dont think of myself as a northener
coupsy
Who do you know is from nottingham, i thought i was the only one in Durdham who came from that area and i dont think of myself as a northener

Oh, no one on here! Just a guy I used to fancy was from Nottingham and he had a fairly strong northern accent. I don't think I've met you yet...
Reply 52
susiemakemeblue
Oh, no one on here! Just a guy I used to fancy was from Nottingham and he had a fairly strong northern accent. I don't think I've met you yet...

If you've been down to durdham bar you will have seen me as i'm one of the managers
Reply 53
coupsy
If you've been down to durdham bar you will have seen me as i'm one of the managers

I hope you were one of the ones that joined in with the karaoke :wink:
Reply 54
The most rah chap I've met was from Durdham actually. A real reactionary. The other Durdhamites I've met wee cool though.
coupsy

Yeah but I still don't know what you look like.
Reply 56
susiemakemeblue
Yeah but I still don't know what you look like.

I am working for the next 3 nights and will be the only male on 2 of those nights so if you really want to know come on down to the bar
lol durdham only rules when the cleaners dont come ant get u up at 9am after mega barmy pub crawl on the ONLY day i dont have to be in at 9 :frown:
coupsy
I am working for the next 3 nights and will be the only male on 2 of those nights so if you really want to know come on down to the bar

Maybe on Saturday....

Freshers' Ball tonight.

Latest

Trending

Trending