The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i have to say I feel so sorry for the people who do declare their medical problems and then have to give up a dream. There was a guy on my OASC who desperately wanted to get FC. He was declared unfit due to migraines and was completely devastated. I applied for Int and failed the sight test.

Both our AFCO's hadn't told us that either of these would be issues for our chosen branches. I reckon the AFCO's should do a lot more research on a person before they even get to OASC. That way less people will be dissapointed at OASC.

I thought I'd failed my medical at one point (due to an eye disease my mother has, but as they decided it was non hereditory after 'Googling' it, they declared me fit). OASC is so stressful, and sitting around for 1/2 an hour thinking I was going to be sent home was indescribably awful. I can't imagine how the people who actually are sent home feel!
Reply 21
I completely agree with Blackhawk and Wzz on the lying matter.

What I don't understand though is how someone who wants to serve their country and protect the lives and freedom of innocent civilians, is prepared to put those civillians (and their fellow soldiers) at risk by not declaring all their medical issues! I declared every little thing no matter how insignificant (granted it gave me a long drawn out wait outside the opticians office). The RAF are investing a lot in you if they take you on, giving you healthcare, accomodation, pension etc. The least you can do for them is be honest.
Wzz
If you lie on a form, you're a bloody idiot. They haven't created all these rules to please themselves, they're in place to stop people joining who would put themselves and others in danger.

I knew I would get shouted at for sharing that information on a public forum. I completely agree with everything that Blackhawk and Wzz are saying, if you lie on a MOD/RAF or any other form for that matter, then you are asking for trouble. I take back my statement where I said you should just tick the box that says 'no', that is not what I would do, and hence it was a false statement.
Reply 23
I reckon the finger wagging on this thread (and some others on other forums) would put the fear of god into anyone wishing to lie on their applications form.

They should make these threads required reading before the filter interviews!
Reply 24
Every time I even think about the OASC it makes my heart start to race. It seems like the whole process takes forever, and there are so many points in the process that one slip-up could mean that you have to wait another year (or even never be allowed to apply again).

No way would I even consider lying on my application forms (but then I'm lucky enough not to have to tell a pork pie), although I have had to (sort of) stretch the truth in some instances, because I know that I actually didn't do much at all when I was at school, extra-curricular wise.
Indeed they should. It surprises me that with the number of pilot and general officer applicants to the RAF that there aren't a lot more people involved in these forums. Given that it is one of the first links that come up when googling for most things to do with the RAF. Surely most people do internet searches before going to OASC?
Reply 26
My heart races when I think about OASC too - as I might have to do it again next year. I'm worried that I'll put things on that I accidently missed last time (extra curricular activities, etc). Ir that I'll get dates of things wrong - I really should have taken a photo copy of my forms!

I think most people that go just look up a bit of current affairs and that's it to be honest
Reply 27
I find it hard to remember current affairs, probably due to the amount of it that I am aware of. I watch Sky News, look at the BBC website and read 3 newspapers every day, since I work in our family pub and often have periods of hours when no one comes in to be served (the graveyard shift of the pub trade is 11am, until about 4pm). But if someone actually mentions a specific event then I should be able to nod my head, smile, and talk about it.
Reply 28
Have you done OASC yet KSpin?
Reply 29
GemmaLS
Have you done OASC yet KSpin?

Nope, and that's what makes me more nervous. :smile:
Reply 30
K, I didn't read any papers - just bbc news and my OASC debrief said I had a "sound knowledge" of current affairs. The trick is to pick 6 domestic and 6 world topics, know them inside out. Then get a rough overview of everything else that's going on and you'll be fine. Have some opinions, know about NATO (esp the difference between NATO and the WARSAW pact). Then any other world/political issues you think might be important. Judging by the amount you've been reading you'll be fine. Just have a good variety of topics - I even talked about Jamie Olivers School dinners campain and the interviewing officer got into a bit of a long discussion about it with me!
Reply 31
I'll do that, thanks. :smile: My major concern really is fitness, I know that I've gotten a lot fitter than I used to be in last few months, but I'm not sure if it's enough, and I've even gotten some terrible shinsplints from all the running I've been doing. Swimming is my main form of exercise at the moment. (I guess we all think we should be a little bit fitter than we are?).
Reply 32
Ooh, shin splints, yesterday my doctor told me no sport for 3 weeks - I was pretty upset.

I'm very ashamed to say that I only just met the standard for the bleep test and sit-ups (but proud to say I did over 3 times the 'meets standard' for push-ups) and I passed OASC. I'd recommend being much, much fitter if you want a chance at being selected. I'm currently waiting for the results from the october board as I wasn't successful in the August one. I'm kicking my self for not getting my a*se in gear and running.
Reply 33
Am I correct in saying that the physical requirements are the toughest for my age/sex band? Being 19 and male I think I have the hardest standards to meet when it comes to the physical aspects of the OASC. (Just great, eh?) I do understand why that's so, though. :rolleyes:
Reply 34
Yes they are the hardest. You'll see some of the guys struggling to meet the standard though - a few didn't meet it on mine.

Good luck with your fitness training - I guess swimming is the best thing while you've got splints. I kickbox and am going to keep going, but keep my feet firmly on the ground till mine heal and only do the upper body stuff.
Reply 35
BlackHawk
Well I think that those who lie in order to get into the armed forces do not stand for anything that is being an Officer.

Just incase some people pick that up wrong, it aint condonable to lie if your going for the non-commissioned route too :wink:.
Reply 36
kspin, im sure you will be fine! if you are even reading 1 newspaper a day then you will already have a sound basic knowledge. Just relax and be confident, think about current issues and have a few of your own opinions not just what the papers say, they like that!
Ive just discovered the debate section of this website, its very good go on there and just read other peoples opinions, it will be good practise for the debate!
With OASC if you are keen, clued up on the raf and know about yourself you will be fine in the interview, you know what they are going to ask you so just work through it and learn it, easy! the other part just be confident dont be afraid to push yourself forward thats where i failed.

I ahd the dilema about my medical form had a riding accident 4 years ago and suffered headaches afterward but thought had better put it down in case it may effect my working ability. they were fine about it and i had a chance to discuss irt. they access your doctors notes so anything you try and hide will come and and look much worse!
StaVix, I do a lot of horseriding too. Have a new horse arriving on Saturday. There is a riding school at Cranwell if we ever get to be based there. :smile:
Reply 38
Black hawk are you in raf or applying? My friend's at leuchars and has a horse up there. I play polo and know some of the raf polo team, its thanks to them i even applied to the RAF rather than the army!
Thats so cool you've got a new horse, we're just looking for one for my sister. Im heading off next week to play polo in NZ until April as the raf application process takes so long thought i had such a cool time last year why not go back! (and get a good tan!)
I'm applying, and Wzz is my other half who is a pilot. I've been told by Wzz that I'll have no time for horses at OASC but that won't stop me putting him on full livery/loan. :wink:

Polo looks pretty good, very good horses! I'm more into showjumping and I want to try dressage with this new horse.

NZ wow, you must be really looking forward to it!

I can recommend some good websites and horsey forums if your sister is looking for one. What type is she after?

Latest