The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Physics/maths and physics

There was a somewhat similar post about this somewhere, but the situation is a little different so I thought I'd ask :smile:

I sent off my UCAS in late September, and I applied for both physics and maths and physics at Warwick. Ideally, I'd like to do mathphys but the A*AA grade scared me a bit. I loved Warwick so much though, and I'd still be happy doing the straight physics degree. If I were to get into physics at Warwick, but actually got A*AA, would it be possible to transfer to the mathphys course once I got there?

I would email the uni, but it seems a bit presumptuous considering I don't have an offer for either course yet XD I'm just trying to weigh up my options. My grades/predictions are in my sig, if they're any use to you :smile:

Thanks, sorry for the long post!

Helena
helenamm92
If I were to get into physics at Warwick, but actually got A*AA, would it be possible to transfer to the mathphys course once I got there?

If you meet the MathsPhys offer, it will be possible to transfer, however it won't be guaranteed. If you don't meet the MathsPhys offer, I'd say your chances are very low.

But bear in mind that the MathsPhys course differs greatly from the Physics course (66 CATS worth of Maths modules in MathsPhys that is taken with the Maths department) so you really need to start from day 1 with MathsPhys rather than hope to change after year 1, so you will really need to start emailing Warwick after you get your results (perhaps after the accommodation offers are given - if you opt to change course before the accommodation offers are given out, you will drop down in accommodation priority).

If you get offers from both courses, why not firm MathsPhys and insure Physics?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
TheTallOne

Thanks for the reply, that's really helpful :biggrin:

To be honest, where my firm/insurance are really depends on where else I get offers/how confident I am of my grades when the time comes to choose. Also, I've applied to Oxford, so in the off chance I get an offer there, I'd almost definitely firm that. But yeah, if I didn't get Oxford and got an offer for both courses, I probably would firm the mathphys and make physics the insurance :smile:

Thanks again for helping me out :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending