The Student Room Group

What to do with GCSE stuff?

I'm doing AS levels now, and still have GCSE files on the computer, and GCSE books on the floor (workbooks and revision books). I was wondering, I've passed all my exams no problem, both the ones that I required to have for the A-level courses I'm doing and the rest, so I won't be doing any re-sits.

However, since I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Art, will I need to keep all the GCSE work from these subjects? Also, what about coursework for my other GCSE subjects that I have stored on the computer, will it be ok to delete them? What did you do?

Thanks!
Reply 1
iPodAddict93
I'm doing AS levels now, and still have GCSE files on the computer, and GCSE books on the floor (workbooks and revision books). I was wondering, I've passed all my exams no problem, both the ones that I required to have for the A-level courses I'm doing and the rest, so I won't be doing any re-sits.

However, since I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Art, will I need to keep all the GCSE work from these subjects? Also, what about coursework for my other GCSE subjects that I have stored on the computer, will it be ok to delete them? What did you do?

Thanks!

I chucked all my files & revision guides, you honestly won't need them again. I can't comment on Art, but I do know from others that Bio, Chem & Geography are totally different at AS than GCSE so I doubt you'll need your notes from last year.
I think I kept my old GCSE (and A-Level and beyond!) work for much longer than I needed to! In my experience, there's not really much, if anything, that you'll need to refer back to once you've progressed on to the next level of qualification, though I can understand if you feel somehow 'wrong' in getting rid of large quantities of material that you've spent a long time on (I know that I did, especially as when I finally binned some of my material it was for several years in one go).

Maybe as a compromise, keep your material until the end of the following year? If you've not looked at it in that time, it's a pretty safe bet that you're not likely to need it again in future.

Oh, and if you can find the time and they're in reasonably good condition, you might find that you can get something for your old revision guides on eBay or similar.
(edited 13 years ago)
I sold my revision books and made £40 so happy about that. But I've still got my notes in the garage. I know quite a few people that burned their notes :P
Me and my friends burned all our books after our final exam! Never needed them again so that was lucky.
I've got all my old books and things in a cupboard. And revision guides, wretched things! For science they were good but for History/Geography, I wouldn't bother keeping them- they gave the barest amount of detail possible and the syllabi are different at AS anyway.
I kept my GCSE English poems anthology because I liked the poems (: Loads of people burnt them, I don't think anyone apart from me liked the poems? Everyone seems to have hated CAD and Heaney.
Might try to sell mine. Or freecycle them.
(edited 13 years ago)
Keep them. It wil bring back memories when you look back on them in the future.
I would keep them, as long as you have space for them.

Latest