The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Maths & Business Studies or Maths & Economics

Hi! I'm going to candidate in the University of Warwick and I have my doubts in choosing the most appropriate course for me - Mathematics and Business Studies or Mathematics and Economics. Can you help me make the decision because I've found that the two courses are very similar. Is there any difference in the opportunities for postgraduate courses, PHD and abilities of career. Which of them is more prestigious? Any additional information may be helpful. Thanks!
Reply 1
You've failed the entrance test! "Candidate" is a noun in English don't you know? The word you should be using is "study". Your use words seem strange to me, and it is my guess that you're not English to but an overseas candidate,eh? I've had a word with the admission tutor not to let you in, and to throw your application in the bin.:woo:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Ivaylo
Hi! I'm going to candidate in the University of Warwick and I have my doubts in choosing the most appropriate course for me - Mathematics and Business Studies or Mathematics and Economics. Can you help me make the decision because I've found that the two courses are very similar. Is there any difference in the opportunities for postgraduate courses, PHD and abilities of career. Which of them is more prestigious? Any additional information may be helpful. Thanks!

There's no point applying to both as the department considers applications together (along with Maths, MMath and Maths + Phil).

Maths and BS has a near identical first two years to the normal BSc Maths course, except you will need to take Intro to Business Studies or Starting a Business in year 2. Maths and Econ differs more from the BSc Maths course as you will have to take some Econ modules in the first two years.

Short summary:
Maths and BS: 100% in Maths in year 1, only a short 6-12 CATS of WBS needed in year 2, 100% Warwick Business School in year 3.
Maths and Econ: 75-80% Maths and 20-25% Econ in year 1, 50% Maths, 50% Econ in year 2, 100% Econ in year 3.

Both courses have weighting 10%, 40%, 50% in years 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/quality/courseregs/courseregs1011/undergrad
Full details of course regs there.

It's possible to switch from Maths and Econ to any other Maths department course after year 1, but if you want to switch to Maths and Econ you will need to take Introduction to Quantitative Economics (even then it may not be guaranteed).

As for how prestigious they are, I'm not really sure. Although I think more people apply for Econ rather than BS.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest